FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Sep 21, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #422 of 1,870
Sep 21, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #423 of 1,870

Yeah, I should have clarified, I am hoping for one from a reputable manufacturer, that seems to be a generic multi branded product of unknown quality:

http://www.skywing-hk.com/cp/10-en.html

If the audio cable on the Sony's included a mic return audio as well it wouldn't be so much of an issue. Might have to rethink this, thank you for you link!

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #424 of 1,870

I am pretty sure this one is not a USB DAC/transmitter...in fact, It appears to be Line In/Aux Only as a source. The USB connection is for power only. There are others like this Anker one that add Optical/Coaxial inputs.....but still not USB input.
I have not yet found a true Aptx-HD USB transmitter DAC...but if you wanted to simultaneously hear the headphones AND use the mic/calling feature you would need a combined Transmitter Receiver that did both at the same time. Adapters like theses linked ones either transmit or receive....not both at the same time.

Transmitters with Optical inputs like the Anker above ARE useful with the BTR-3, but not for PC. I use one for connecting my TV's Optical Output and another for the Optical Out on my Chromecast Audio. Both make a great audio connection to the BTR3. Sadly, the Optical In/Outs are one direction only...either transmit or receive.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #425 of 1,870
This looks like a better choice for a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver, if you're willing to pay the extra 50USD for the option to prioritize what codac is used to stream the content. But it's still an optical device.

Maybe FiiO will pick up the gauntlet and be the first to come up with a Bluetooth transmitter that has aptx HD and connects to a PC via USB and not optical.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #426 of 1,870
This looks like a better choice for a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver, if you're willing to pay the extra 50USD for the option to prioritize what codac is used to stream the content.....

I like it.
3 advantages I see over the Anker (above) or the no name I own.
- Selectable Aptx LL /HD switch...so you can choose low latency when appropriate (my no name defaults to aptx HD with no choice).
- Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter
- Optical Pass Through...allows you to send your optical TV output to both the transmitter and another device like a sound bar.

And 2 Disadvantages
- Bluetooth 4.2 not 5.0 ......this is probably NO disadvantage with the BTR3 as it is also Bluetooth 4.2...but when the BTR4 comes out sporting Bluetooth 5.0 you'd be ready :wink:
- Price

I am not tempted to switch because as yet I have not noticed a sync delay on my TV when using the defaulted to aptx HD mode. My hope is that when the BTR3 Fiio Music App interface goes live you will be able to select/program the receive codec into the BTR3, like you can the ES100. We will not know until we see it I guess.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #427 of 1,870
I like it.
3 advantages I see over the Anker (above) or the no name I own.
- Selectable Aptx LL /HD switch...so you can choose low latency when appropriate (my no name defaults to aptx HD with no choice).
- Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter
- Optical Pass Through...allows you to send your optical TV output to both the transmitter and another device like a sound bar.

And 2 Disadvantages
- Bluetooth 4.2 not 5.0 ......this is probably NO disadvantage with the BTR3 as it is also Bluetooth 4.2...but when the BTR4 comes out sporting Bluetooth 5.0 you'd be ready :wink:
- Price

I am not tempted to switch because as yet I have not noticed a sync delay on my TV when using the default aptx HD mode. My hope is that when the BTR3 Fiio Music App interface goes live you will be able to select/program the receive codec into the BTR3, like you can the ES100. We will not know until we see it I guess.

I hope that that the FiiO app will present the ability to configure the BTR3 globally, and won't enforce me to use their app exclusively for playing music.

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #430 of 1,870
Get Your FiiO BTR3 Upgraded to the Latest Firmware--v0912
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/85272.html

Hi FiiO, I recently purchased through my official store on AliExpress my BTR3 and I can not wait to receive it because I know it will take from 7 to 14 days because in Italy still no dealer had available.

I have read that a new Firmware - v0912 update is available for the BTR3, but going to download the firmware there are other updates before this! My question is you need to install the old firmware first of the one just released by you recommended ?? Sorry for my english but I'm not native speaker help me with a translator :)

Sep 22, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #431 of 1,870
Hello everyone, thank you very much for inspiring me and convinced me to buy the new BTR3, I still have to get there because in Italy no dealer could tell me when it was available, for this reason I decided to buy it on AliExpress from the FiiO store.

Do I have the M2IEG Momentum Sennheiser according to you as they play with the BTR3? Wanting to update what would you recommend? I listen to different kinds of music from extreme metal to modern classical. Thanks to anyone who will help me :)

Franz

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #433 of 1,870
Bluetooth 4.2 not 5.0 ......this is probably NO disadvantage with the BTR3 as it is also Bluetooth 4.2...but when the BTR4 comes out sporting Bluetooth 5.0 you'd be ready
The Bluetooth 5 standard didn't update the audio profile (A2DP). Bluetooth audio works the same way whether 4.2 or 5.0 — no change in range or bandwidth. The updates in Bluetooth 5 were to provide better performance for IOT (Internet of Things) devices which transmit small quantities of data.

tl;dr: Bluetooth 5.0 is 4.2 with some updates. Those updates do not affect Bluetooth audio.

Most wireless headphone makers use off-the-shelf Bluetooth chipsets (such as from Qualcomm). Some of those chipsets now support BT 5. They happily advertise BT 5 without saying anything about audio performance, and let the consumer infer that it has a higher number and surely must be better. But actually this is pure marketing and it makes no difference.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #434 of 1,870
This is interesting for me because I tried to read the bluetooth standard and I got bored. But just before that happened I did manage to pickup something about power control which could lengthen battery life and sustain good audio quality.

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #435 of 1,870
Hello everyone, thank you very much for inspiring me and convinced me to buy the new BTR3, I still have to get there because in Italy no dealer could tell me when it was available, for this reason I decided to buy it on AliExpress from the FiiO store.

Do I have the M2IEG Momentum Sennheiser according to you as they play with the BTR3? Wanting to update what would you recommend? I listen to different kinds of music from extreme metal to modern classical. Thanks to anyone who will help me :)

Franz
If you can tell us your budget we can give you a better recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back