[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,081 of 3,670
Well... after all that hope, this morning the BTR5 will not power on. No battery charge indicator, nothing..,

I’ll leave it plugged in and maybe it will come to life but I’m severely disappointed with this only lasting 2 months. I’m sure I’m past the return date and really regret buying it where I did as I’m sure my usual place, headphone bar would have taken it back.

Back to my ES100 which has never hiccuped even once.
Sorry to hear that, have you tried to reset it? Hold down the Power Button for 10 seconds?
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/328486.html

BTR5 FAQ
https://www.fiio.com/btr5_faq

Electronics do fail, it sucks when it happens - contact FiiO support for an RMA under warranty
https://www.fiio.com/servicepsalesupport

Information during the current corona virus quarantine:
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=45376&extra=page=1

It's a new product, probably even the first production runs, so problems are bound to happen until the production gets smoothed out. That's why I recommend to wait a month or two before buying new electronics, let the bugs get worked out first and then buy it only after it looks like a good product that will get support long term.

I'm used to buying cutting edge hardware and I expect problems along the way, it's just part of the fun... mine is about 2 months old now too... :)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #1,082 of 3,670
Yes it's not like fiio's a fly by night company- they will make it right. I've even got service from them after the warranty period was over, so I'd at least email support. From what I remember they even paid postage because it was a known issue.

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #1,083 of 3,670
Yup, already tried USB 2.0 / USB 1.0. Turned off charging. Powered off both devices and powered them up in different order to initialize the USB, 1 before the other. Tried different cables. Tried it outside the dock and on the dock. Tried the switch in different apps, went through all the configuration options for the Switch and the BTR5.

All the descriptions I've read say that it "just works" you plug the BTR3 into the Nintendo Switch and it goes into USB Audio mode, Then there's that long list of devices like the BTR3 I posted that also do the same - work as a USB Audio device connected to the Nintendo Switch.

Hopefully @FiiO can alert the FiiO Developers that the BTR5 isn't supporting USB Audio with the Nintendo Switch even though the BTR3 and several other FiiO devices do.

Unless someone knows how to get the same request to the Nintendo Switch developers?... :relieved:

Dear user,

You have tried to turn off the charge option in the BTR5 as well, right? Did you try another usb adapter? We will report to the engineer to see whether they have other idea about this problem.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 25, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #1,084 of 3,670
Dear user,

You have tried to turn off the charge option in the BTR5 as well, right? Did you try another usb adapter? We will report to the engineer to see whether they have other idea about this problem.

Best regards
Thank you for the quick attention to the problem, and yes I tried turning off Charging, 3 different cables and tried connecting directly to the Nintendo Switch bottom USB C connector as well as the USB A connector on the dock, all the same results, the BTR5 acknoledges the connection - shows 44.1 but the volume continues out of the Nintendo Switch - and I don't see that USB Audio icon on the Nintendo Switch appear when I plug in the USB C / A connector.

I also went through all the configuration options in the Nintendo Switch System and App's, and did a lot of searching on the internet - and for the BTR3 the users only mention connecting the BTR3 and it works immediately, with the Nintendo Switch "switching" to USB Audio.

Thank you again for your help :)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #1,085 of 3,670
Sorry to hear that, have you tried to reset it? Hold down the Power Button for 10 seconds?
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/328486.html

BTR5 FAQ
https://www.fiio.com/btr5_faq

Electronics do fail, it sucks when it happens - contact FiiO support for an RMA under warranty
https://www.fiio.com/servicepsalesupport

Information during the current corona virus quarantine:
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=45376&extra=page=1

It's a new product, probably even the first production runs, so problems are bound to happen until the production gets smoothed out. That's why I recommend to wait a month or two before buying new electronics, let the bugs get worked out first and then buy it only after it looks like a good product that will get support long term.

I'm used to buying cutting edge hardware and I expect problems along the way, it's just part of the fun... mine is about 2 months old now too... :)

I did try many times to reset it. I held it down for 10 secs, 20secs, 30secs... It just wouldn't respond.

Then after leaving it for about 3 hours plugged in and I finally gave up and went to put it away, I tried again and it powered on. I turned it off and it powered on again.. Several hours later I took it out of my pocket and it powered on again... I'll try again tomorrow and see if the pause thing shuts it down.

I wrote FiiO support and the place I purchased it from but haven't had any replies yet.

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #1,086 of 3,670
I did try many times to reset it. I held it down for 10 secs, 20secs, 30secs... It just wouldn't respond.

Then after leaving it for about 3 hours plugged in and I finally gave up and went to put it away, I tried again and it powered on. I turned it off and it powered on again.. Several hours later I took it out of my pocket and it powered on again... I'll try again tomorrow and see if the pause thing shuts it down.

I wrote FiiO support and the place I purchased it from but haven't had any replies yet.
Perhaps @FiiO has a suggestion for you to get the RMA expedited and support suggestions for your situation?

I actually had a similar thing happen today to my BTR5, but I then knew it was simply because it was out of power - because at that point I realized I had forgotten to re-Enable Charge Always after testing the BTR5 with Charge Off on the Nintendo Switch. :ksc75smile:

My BTR5 was out of juice, but not as far gone as yours as I was able to plug it in to USB on my PC and immediately I was able to push the On button and it revived - and it went right back to work being the USB DAC and Charging itself back up.

Maybe your BTR5 had discharged completely like mine, and it took a bit more of a charge to revive it enough to allow the On button to work? I hope so, maybe you don't need to RMA it?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #1,087 of 3,670

Fiio, help this guy out!!! :)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #1,088 of 3,670
Thank you for the quick attention to the problem, and yes I tried turning off Charging, 3 different cables and tried connecting directly to the Nintendo Switch bottom USB C connector as well as the USB A connector on the dock, all the same results, the BTR5 acknoledges the connection - shows 44.1 but the volume continues out of the Nintendo Switch - and I don't see that USB Audio icon on the Nintendo Switch appear when I plug in the USB C / A connector.

I also went through all the configuration options in the Nintendo Switch System and App's, and did a lot of searching on the internet - and for the BTR3 the users only mention connecting the BTR3 and it works immediately, with the Nintendo Switch "switching" to USB Audio.

Thank you again for your help :)

I did all that too, no dice :frowning2: would have been really cool if Nintendo included BT support.

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,089 of 3,670
Perhaps @FiiO has a suggestion for you to get the RMA expedited and support suggestions for your situation?

I actually had a similar thing happen today to my BTR5, but I then knew it was simply because it was out of power - because at that point I realized I had forgotten to re-Enable Charge Always after testing the BTR5 with Charge Off on the Nintendo Switch. :ksc75smile:

My BTR5 was out of juice, but not as far gone as yours as I was able to plug it in to USB on my PC and immediately I was able to push the On button and it revived - and it went right back to work being the USB DAC and Charging itself back up.

Maybe your BTR5 had discharged completely like mine, and it took a bit more of a charge to revive it enough to allow the On button to work? I hope so, maybe you don't need to RMA it?

I heard back from my retailer who has told me to ship it back to them and they will send it to the distributor for a replacement under warranty. Again, had I bought it at headphonebar they probably would send me one today and I could ship the other back tomorrow.... I was too impatient.

As far as it being out of power, I’m sure that’s not the issue as I plug it in to the car on the way home from work and charge it also on the way in so when I arrive it’s always at 100%. When it finally comes back to life I check and the battery is at 100%.

Anyway... this all said, the damn thing is working normally today... it’s so unpredictable. I just hope a replacement isn’t contingent on them being able to recreate the problem.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #1,090 of 3,670
I heard back from my retailer who has told me to ship it back to them and they will send it to the distributor for a replacement under warranty. Again, had I bought it at headphonebar they probably would send me one today and I could ship the other back tomorrow.... I was too impatient.

As far as it being out of power, I’m sure that’s not the issue as I plug it in to the car on the way home from work and charge it also on the way in so when I arrive it’s always at 100%. When it finally comes back to life I check and the battery is at 100%.

Anyway... this all said, the damn thing is working normally today... it’s so unpredictable. I just hope a replacement isn’t contingent on them being able to recreate the problem.
You might want to hang on to the BTR5 and see how it performs over the next few days, weeks? - IDK what your return period is - because as of the recent COVID-19 quarantines and work stoppages I haven't been able to get product out of China.

If you've had this a couple of months you are on warranty / RMA time, so no real rush to execute an RMA right now as it's still early in the 1 year warranty. Shipping in / out of China is blocked up + FiiO (Guangzhou, China) might still be off of work - with a month+ of backlog to go through when they do come back to work.

You might not get a your BTR5 back for quite a while...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,092 of 3,670
Feb 26, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #1,094 of 3,670
You might want to hang on to the BTR5 and see how it performs over the next few days, weeks? - IDK what your return period is - because as of the recent COVID-19 quarantines and work stoppages I haven't been able to get product out of China.

If you've had this a couple of months you are on warranty / RMA time, so no real rush to execute an RMA right now as it's still early in the 1 year warranty. Shipping in / out of China is blocked up + FiiO (Guangzhou, China) might still be off of work - with a month+ of backlog to go through when they do come back to work.

You might not get a your BTR5 back for quite a while...

I didn’t check if the retailer had to send it back to China. I assumed it would be sorted by the main distributor here in Canad but I will check, thanks.
I will be sending it in though as this morning the troubles are back. Made it one day and back to shutting down with no reply from the buttons until I plug it in for a few minutes.
... and just shut down again after pausing and no response from the buttons.. stupid thing...

Thinking I might sell the new one unopened. I had troubles with the BTR3 and now the BTR5.. very disappointing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back