[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #1,066 of 3,707
I wondered if I was mistaken in how the idle power off works. That makes sense that it is not idling if it is just on pause and still connected. Either way, I will leave it set to "off" and see what happens.
Well, that's my working theory so far via observation, I haven't done controlled testing as it's working as I expect. If there is a connection via BT or PC audio host the device see's it as being in use and not idle.

I'd switch auto to Off, but I tend to get interrupted and can't come right back to turn things off, so auto-off is good for me. It takes a moment to turn it back On when I do come back, so that works for me.

Maybe someone will do the methodical testing to see when the BTR5 feels like auto-offing. If there are no apps with app open will the BTR detect Idle? Does low volume or no playback constitute Idle? What is Idle to the BTR5? :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #1,067 of 3,707
Figured I wasn't doing my fiio FH7 any justice with my iBasso dc02 or Creative SXFi Amps I used for mobile so I bought this and so glad I did. Pairing this with it is lovely for me and makes a marked difference.

They're incredibly tough to get hold of here in the UK. Can't imagine that will improve much.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #1,068 of 3,707
Nice. Does it rub against the BTR5 inside the case? Where can we find a similar clip? Link?

[/QUOTE]

Minimal effect (the FiiO leather case is flexible enough). If there is a concern about the BTR5 glass back, you can always glue the clip's back to the exterior of the leather case :)

Got the clip from Aliexpress
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6eqvM9
Use a small cutter to remove the leather pen attachment and nails

Attachments

• 20200223_093216_resize_17.jpg
    20200223_093216_resize_17.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #1,070 of 3,707
@FiiO - Hi!, I was surprised that the BTR5 doesn't work with the Nintendo Switch, this article lists the BTR3, E10K, K1, Q1 work with the Nintendo Switch for audio out the USB C port. Can you please ask the BTR5 guys to add support for the Nintendo Switch? - Thank you!

USB DAC Support - OS Ver 7.0 edition.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/b7r1dv/usb_dac_support_os_ver_70_edition/

There might well be other Fiio DAC's that work with the Nintendo Switch, that article is 10 months old for the Nintendo OS Version 7.0, and the Nintendo Switch is up to OS Version 9.1.0 as of today.

Here's an article from 9/2018 showing that the BTR3 and Nintendo Switch in USB mode:

Fiio BTR3 works with the Switch as a USB DAC!
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...fiio_btr3_works_with_the_switch_as_a_usb_dac/

When I hook up the BTR5 to the Nintendo Switch with 2 different USB C data cables that work great on the Note 10+ and PC the BTR5 shows it's connected - shows 44.1k, but audio still comes out of the Nintendo Switch speakers - and no USB Mode indicator shows on the Switch.

Here is the BTR3 image from that reddit post:
BTR3 connected to Nintendo Switch in USB Mode.jpg

BTW, the Nintendo Switch included USB C - USB A controller cable is a nice long well shielded data cable for hooking up my Windows 10 PC to the BTR5 :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,071 of 3,707
@FiiO - Hi!, I was surprised that the BTR5 doesn't work with the Nintendo Switch, this article lists the BTR3, E10K, K1, Q1 work with the Nintendo Switch for audio out the USB C port. Can you please ask the BTR5 guys to add support for the Nintendo Switch? - Thank you!

From what I understand (not much!), this is because the Switch only supports USB Audio Class 1. BTR3 is USB Audio Class 1, while BTR5 is USB Audio Class 2 (which allows higher bitrates).

The only way FiiO could add support for the Switch would be to have the option to downgrade from Class 2 to Class 1 (I have no idea if this is even possible). Otherwise, it is up to Nintendo to add USB Audio Class 2 support to the Switch.

In the meantime, I would suggest grabbing a bluetooth transmitter like the Genki Bluetooth Adapter or Gulikit Route Air, and using the bluetooth functionality of the BTR5! If you can deal with the latency of AptX-LL, then using bluetooth is great, because you are no longer tethered to your Switch (my greatest fear is using my Switch with headphones on public transport and the headphone cable getting caught on something or someone walking passed, and yanking the headphones off my head or the Switch out of my hands! Bluetooth via BTR5 solves this problem!) :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #1,072 of 3,707
From what I understand (not much!), this is because the Switch only supports USB Audio Class 1. BTR3 is USB Audio Class 1, while BTR5 is USB Audio Class 2 (which allows higher bitrates).

The only way FiiO could add support for the Switch would be to have the option to downgrade from Class 2 to Class 1 (I have no idea if this is even possible). Otherwise, it is up to Nintendo to add USB Audio Class 2 support to the Switch.

In the meantime, I would suggest grabbing a bluetooth transmitter like the Genki Bluetooth Adapter or Gulikit Route Air, and using the bluetooth functionality of the BTR5! If you can deal with the latency of AptX-LL, then using bluetooth is great, because you are no longer tethered to your Switch (my greatest fear is using my Switch with headphones on public transport and the headphone cable getting caught on something or someone walking passed, and yanking the headphones off my head or the Switch out of my hands! Bluetooth via BTR5 solves this problem!) :)

You can switch the btr5 to USB 1.0 right on the btr5 itself.

20200223_225652.jpg
20200223_225643.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #1,073 of 3,707

Yup, wireless is better, but in the dock I'd like to run the DAC - even portable with the DAC isn't bad, I've got the short cable for it. I was "expecting" the BTR5 to work, so I was surprised that it doesn't.

I really I hope FiiO updates the BTR5 software to have an option to support the Switch and other devices that rely on compatibility that was available on the BTR3 - I would imagine there are a few BTR3 owners that are going to be unpleasantly surprised to find they lost that functionality. :robot:

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #1,074 of 3,707
Yup, already tried USB 2.0 / USB 1.0. Turned off charging. Powered off both devices and powered them up in different order to initialize the USB, 1 before the other. Tried different cables. Tried it outside the dock and on the dock. Tried the switch in different apps, went through all the configuration options for the Switch and the BTR5.

All the descriptions I've read say that it "just works" you plug the BTR3 into the Nintendo Switch and it goes into USB Audio mode, Then there's that long list of devices like the BTR3 I posted that also do the same - work as a USB Audio device connected to the Nintendo Switch.

Hopefully @FiiO can alert the FiiO Developers that the BTR5 isn't supporting USB Audio with the Nintendo Switch even though the BTR3 and several other FiiO devices do.

Unless someone knows how to get the same request to the Nintendo Switch developers?... :relieved:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #1,075 of 3,707
Hopefully @FiiO can alert the FiiO Developers that the BTR5 isn't supporting USB Audio with the Nintendo Switch even though the BTR3 and several other FiiO devices do.

Unless someone knows how to get the same request to the Nintendo Switch developers?... :relieved:

Don't think this is a FiiO problem, but more likely an Nintendo problem. Nintendo is known to implement half-baked driver on their devices in an effort to control what kind of accessories can be used, so this shouldn't be that different.

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #1,076 of 3,707

Yup, already tried USB 2.0 / USB 1.0.

In that case, it's probably just an incompatible chipset. Doubt there is much that FiiO can do to resolve it - it's probably a Nintendo thing, unfortunately!

Fingers crossed that Nintendo updates the Switch to support more devices - I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but I do believe they have added some USB audio support over time.

Feb 24, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #1,077 of 3,707
Well... after all that hope, this morning the BTR5 will not power on. No battery charge indicator, nothing..,

I’ll leave it plugged in and maybe it will come to life but I’m severely disappointed with this only lasting 2 months. I’m sure I’m past the return date and really regret buying it where I did as I’m sure my usual place, headphone bar would have taken it back.

Back to my ES100 which has never hiccuped even once.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,078 of 3,707
Well... after all that hope, this morning the BTR5 will not power on. No battery charge indicator, nothing..,

I’ll leave it plugged in and maybe it will come to life but I’m severely disappointed with this only lasting 2 months. I’m sure I’m past the return date and really regret buying it where I did as I’m sure my usual place, headphone bar would have taken it back.

You can always contact fiio support, in my experience they're pretty good at sorting problems out.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #1,079 of 3,707

Same thing was happen to me with the ES100 last year. :wink:

Maybe the same "cold soldering" issue on the battery.
Hope you'll get a return.

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #1,080 of 3,707

Where did you buy it from? Hopefully, FiiO support will honor the warranty.

If not, you could always try the Shanling UP4 or wait, since the prices for the BTR5 are getting jacked up due to supply/demand. I picked mine up for $129 (I think I originally saw it for $99) and now it's up to $159. Prices on the Shanling UP4 are at $99, but they are selling out here and there (Amazon), so I've been starting to see them go for $119 & $129.

If you're running balanced or USB, then I'd recommend the BTR5 hands down. If you're going unbalanced 3.5mm (Bluetooth), the UP4 is a great option, since it has a little more juice and can run in dual DAC mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back