[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #1,111 of 3,707
So what's the difference / advantage and disadvantage of gain L/H?

Just as you would think, if you're powering easy to drive iems and such you can use low gain and save a bit of juice.

If you need more power you can enable high gain. Now I always enable high gain myself because even at percieved same volume levels you can experience a bit of dynamics boost- among other benefits.

Simple from having more headroom and the cans iems being driven a bit more efficiently at the same volume level.

Now, as I stated before volume matching without measuring output is very hard to do accurately and sometimes when trying to match volume in high gain mode to the relative volume you used in low gain mode- well a lot of times you are feeding you cans/iems a bit more current and low and behold they sound better :wink:

When I'm serious and want to check outputs I use a multimeter to match outputs, to make sure they're the same. Many times I've thought- man this new blank sounds better, only to check the output and find I had it higher than dap b.

Clean efficent power really helps sound out, so I always use high gain and adjust down.

And yes Hip hop scribe is right, high gain usually brings more noise. Although a lot of stuff has such good snr and thd+n you can get away with using high gain.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,112 of 3,707
Just as you would think, if you're powering easy to drive iems and such you can use low gain and save a bit of juice.

If you need more power you can enable high gain. Now I always enable high gain myself because even at percieved same volume levels you can experience a bit of dynamics boost- among other benefits.

Simple from having more headroom and the cans iems being driven a bit more efficiently at the same volume level.

Now, as I stated before volume matching without measuring output is very hard to do accurately and sometimes when trying to match volume in high gain mode to the relative volume you used in low gain mode- well a lot of times you are feeding you cans/iems a bit more current and low and behold they sound better :wink:

When I'm serious and want to check outputs I use a multimeter to match outputs, to make sure they're the same. Many times I've thought- man this new blank sounds better, only to check the output and find I had it higher than dap b.

Clean efficent power really helps sound out, so I always use high gain and adjust down.

The problem with defaulting to high gain and adjusting down is that noise floor and distortion are generally gonna be higher, which is usually a negative. This probably won't matter with a lot of headphones as the difference shouldn't be huge in a good design, but with sensitive IEMs especially this can be audible

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #1,113 of 3,707
The problem with defaulting to high gain and adjusting down is that noise floor and distortion are generally gonna be higher, which is usually a negative. This probably won't matter with a lot of headphones as the difference shouldn't be huge in a good design, but with IEMs especially this can be audible

And plus it uses a bit more juice. It's just a habit I've developed over time and have been lucky because most stuff is really efficient and I don't have something super sensitive like Solaris.

Probably better to stick with low gain if you don't need the power.

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #1,114 of 3,707
I'm low gain with my SE846's (21) and K10U (22). Tried high gain but once volume reduced to match I hear no noticeable benefit. Don't have demanding headphones.

Feb 27, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #1,115 of 3,707
Here is some pics of the official fiio case.

20200227_163546.jpg
20200227_163549.jpg
20200227_163554.jpg

Feb 27, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,118 of 3,707
I like the BTR5, but my experience with the Q5s is a level higher, which it should be. That being said, yes, it's not as portable, which is why I qualified my statement by noting it might be "too big". Certainly, we're looking at diminishing returns as we go higher and higher, so it boils down to preference and budget. Price/Performance, BTR5 is better, but sheer performance, Q5s is better.

High gain + 4.4mm balanced on the FiiO Q5s gives me a richer, fuller experience. It's not night and day, but it's like cheese pizza vs. pepperoni. If I need absolute mobility, the BTR5 is the way to go (especially balanced) and has a superior form factor/clip when compared with the Shanling UP4. At a desk, if budget is not an issue, I prefer the Q5s.

That being said, you do loose the mic for calls.
Just dual locked my btr5 to my Monoprice Monolith portable DAC/Amp with THX, and DIRAC. This is a wonderful combination. The btr5 Sabre DAC is more detailed than AK4493, and it just does it for me via LDAC. My XDSD is now fully redundant, and beat by this combo for about the same price. It's this and my Mojo as my two go two setups, for the time being.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,119 of 3,707
Thickness of the case? Sorry I'm not sure I'm comprehendo on the query. I mean the case is pretty thin and of course there's no clip on it. Maybe a touch thicker the back is thicker I think.

Sorry, I mean the thickness of the whole package: ie. BTR5 with case on vs BTR5 with clip on - how bulky they make the BTR5 feel in comparison.

Looks like the clip would make the whole package thicker in measurement, but does the case feel substantially thinner and less bulky?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #1,120 of 3,707
Sorry, I mean the thickness of the whole package: ie. BTR5 with case on vs BTR5 with clip on - how bulky they make the BTR5 feel in comparison.

Looks like the clip would make the whole package thicker in measurement, but does the case feel substantially thinner and less bulky?

It does feel less bulky for sure, probably because of the thicker corners on the clip and the clip itself. The clip is actually very nice, but if you're just using it as a usb dac a lot it's nice to have the pu case. I took some more pics so you can gauge the thickness.

The case makes it look more pro, ha ha.

20200227_222634.jpg

20200227_222641.jpg
20200227_222711.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #1,122 of 3,707
It always use the Sabre one wether its bluetooth or usb.

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,124 of 3,707
Just dual locked my btr5 to my Monoprice Monolith portable DAC/Amp with THX, and DIRAC. This is a wonderful combination. The btr5 Sabre DAC is more detailed than AK4493, and it just does it for me via LDAC. My XDSD is now fully redundant, and beat by this combo for about the same price. It's this and my Mojo as my two go two setups, for the time being.

I'd like to get a monolith just for the dsp/eq system. I had a chance to get a like new one off monolith for 200 bucks, but I hesitated and it sold. So do you think the monolith sounds better than the xdsd ?

So you're feeding the btr5 BT and outputting the 3.5 to the monolith and just using the amp section?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,125 of 3,707
In conclusion there should be no big difference between bluetooth and cable (3.5 mm output) ?
Simple answer is, no.
But i've to mention that there can be other factors raise importance.
How good/bad is the usb connector on both sides?
How does the usb chip on the btr 5 alters the signal?
Is the input power of the usb-chip higher or lower than the bluetooth one?

This all can effect the perceived sound from the btr5. Even this effect is rather small, it could change your own perception.
Your eyes tells you that there's a different connection used, so your brain tells you the sound has to be different. :)

In the end, it's not that simple couz our brain fools us with every step we take. ^^
The important thing is, that it sound good to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back