Fiio amps?
Aug 23, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #421 of 877
I bought a lot because they were so cheap. Don't let it decieve you though, I wouldn't say buying 15,000 was particularly cheap.

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #422 of 877
OK so I made a new mini-to-mini to replace the one the Fiio comes with and yes, there is significant improvement.

With the original IC, the sound is bass-bloated and murky/dirty all around(even audibly distorted, especially in the highs). This wasn't as noticeable with my stock Denon D1001s, but very apparent after I recabled the headphones.

With the new mini-to-mini the clarity is back along with the Fiio's trademark bass boost with improved separation. They're listenable/enjoyable again.

img0878el2.jpg
img0876cc1.jpg

Aug 23, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #423 of 877
Oh they're OK. I was thinking that the amp would make my Alesandra 2 sound more like my Senn P100, but with a little more top end. The combo does sound darker, but most of what I listened to had that annoying (to me) mid-bass hump that reminds me of every cheap piece of audio gear that is trying to reproduce some bass. Don't get me wrong, I know that, for the price, these amps are decent, but I am just not enjoying listening to it. One side benefit is that I have a new appreciation of the SQ of my various phones & Zune 80. My Alesandro's do benefit from the 4 step volume increase on the Zune. Without the amp I have to run them at between 17 & 20. I will find a use for this amp. Still have to try my T400 & Clip. So EQ may make a difference.

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #424 of 877
The E3 definitely improved the bass on my otherwise-bass-thin Sony MDR-NC60 NC phones, it also provided a somewhat-moderate volume boost as well, but if you own a < 10 mW DAP and use high-impendence (> 60 ohms) or some headphones with low sensitivity ratings (< 100 dB), you probably won't notice much volume boost. IMO, the FiiO E3 is a great bass enhancer, much like my CTA-Digital SRS-88 Surround Sound Converter does for SRS surround sound, and simply that.

Had anyone ever tried hooking up two FiiO E3's in series (back-to-back)? I would think it would provide a larger volume boost than hooking up just one. I am just afraid to try that trick for fear of overload.

I will try that later on as well as experiment with hooking up one E3 in series with my Boostaroo Revolution to my NC60 cans and see what happens.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #425 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by omega52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh they're OK. I was thinking that the amp would make my Alesandra 2 sound more like my Senn P100, but with a little more top end. The combo does sound darker, but most of what I listened to had that annoying (to me) mid-bass hump that reminds me of every cheap piece of audio gear that is trying to reproduce some bass. Don't get me wrong, I know that, for the price, these amps are decent, but I am just not enjoying listening to it. One side benefit is that I have a new appreciation of the SQ of my various phones & Zune 80. My Alesandro's do benefit from the 4 step volume increase on the Zune. Without the amp I have to run them at between 17 & 20. I will find a use for this amp. Still have to try my T400 & Clip. So EQ may make a difference.

I don't find the E3 to do much to help with any of my phones and a Zune80, except the im716s. Otherwise, the Zune doesn't need it. But, with my Clip or Sony DAPs, the E3 does seem to have a beneficial effect on my Sleeks. But I do have to EQ to get it right. I also put a Dowon S adapter cable in the mix, and it really smooths things out.

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #426 of 877
I just got my Fiio amp in. I do have to say its a cool little device. I don't have a hissing problem, except when there is no music playing. That doesn't matter. Makes all the difference with the Shure SE110's and also looks awesome with my gloss black Creatve Zen. Matches perfectly with the black Fiio.

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #427 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find the E3 to do much to help with any of my phones and a Zune80, except the im716s. Otherwise, the Zune doesn't need it. But, with my Clip or Sony DAPs, the E3 does seem to have a beneficial effect on my Sleeks. But I do have to EQ to get it right. I also put a Dowon S adapter cable in the mix, and it really smooths things out.

I find the E3 to be a lot of help especially bottom end with my M1000's out of my Zune 80, I guess it really depends on the DAP/Headphone combination

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #429 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Smoking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently my portable rig is rather simple just my phone and creative ep-630 would I expect to notice any increase in SQ using a fiio?

I think everyones pretty much agreed that it helps with boosting bass. If you read around I think you'll find that people think the 630s are already pretty bassy since they're in ears so you might not really need the FiiO

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #431 of 877
Yeaaee Yeaaee!! Extra BASS!!!
k701smile.gif

My first amp and definately worth the cheap admission!

I experienced the placebo effect this afternoon. I was listening to music and thought "Man, with this bass boost I'll need to EQ down!" Then I looked down at my gear and realised the amp wasn't connected!! LOL....

Additionally I experienced my first shrill "cymbal" piercing moment with my EX700! I was watching a movie scene and the dentist's drill turned on, "sccrrrrreeeee!!!!!!!!" ARGH man was that agony!

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #434 of 877
I got mine today, along with a new interconnect from Heaphonia (via eBay). Firstly, this thing is so tiny, and I guess pics really don't do it justice. I hooked it up to my 4GB Clip and used my Cyber Acoustics ACM-800s, and found out right away, it does boost the bass significantly. I did gain some volume and a little more clarity in both vocals and in most instruments, particularly guitars, than I had without it. I play mostly just old 128kbps
MP3s, and the E3 does indeed give them more depth, body, and overall heft.

As a first headphone amp for a budding and hopeful audiophile, I'm very pleased with it. And you really can't beat the price, either.
atsmile.gif

And to cyberspyder, it does come with an IC, but I think most here will tell you to get another one of higher quality, or build a new one altogether.

All the best,
Brad

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #435 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by HulkSmashNow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine today, along with a new interconnect from Heaphonia (via eBay). Firstly, this thing is so tiny, and I guess pics really don't do it justice. I hooked it up to my 4GB Clip and used my Cyber Acoustics ACM-800s, and found out right away, it does boost the bass significantly. I did gain some volume and a little more clarity in both vocals and in most instruments, particularly guitars, than I had without it. I play mostly just old 128kbps
MP3s, and the E3 does indeed give them more depth, body, and overall heft.

As a first headphone amp for a budding and hopeful audiophile, I'm very pleased with it. And you really can't beat the price, either.
atsmile.gif

And to cyberspyder, it does come with an IC, but I think most here will tell you to get another one of higher quality, or build a new one altogether.

All the best,
Brad

Hi, Im just wondering if you can link me to the IC cable you bought? Or can anyone else recommend me a good aftermarket IC cable that I can use for the Fiio and future purposes?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back