Fiio amps?
Aug 22, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #407 of 877
Folks what do you expect from such a cheap device? you are using a $1 amp to power some pretty expensive and detailed 'phones. In the right application it is great, in others you are just kidding yourselves if you think you will be gaining any real improvements.

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #409 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Folks what do you expect from such a cheap device? you are using a $1 amp to power some pretty expensive and detailed 'phones. In the right application it is great, in others you are just kidding yourselves if you think you will be gaining any real improvements.

I dunno, it really depends on the 'phone. I tried it out with my AD700's and the added bass to it was much much appreciated but the Fiio amp only widens the soundstage with headphones/earphones that have a small soundstage in the first place as with the AD700, with it's massive soundstage, the Fiio amp actually reduced it. So yeah, mixed results. I prefer the AD700 without the Fiio.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #410 of 877
Have had the Fiio now for a couple of days. I'm going from Touch > OEM cable > Fiio > SA6. So far it's performed brilliantly. Bass is noticeably bigger, especially the really low freqs, which are considerbaly more thumpy and pronounced. I've noticed a slight increase in soundstage, and slightly more detail in the mids. The only problem thus far is a noticeable decrease in treble sparkle, but treble isn't an area that the SA6 lacks in performance so it can be compensated for (at least partially) with the treble++ port.

I've also noticed a slight hiss, but it goes away once the music starts, as others have already mentioned earlier.

I've noticed that encoding quality makes a huge difference as well. As opposed to other premium amps which tend to increase SQ from crap files, the Fiio, if anything, magnifies the crappiness.

In summary, it's pretty awesome.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #411 of 877
The Fiio is a bass booster. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm also noticing some cracks and static noise coming out of my earbuds when using the fiio. Looks like it could potentially be harmful to your headphones. Problem is completely solved when I dont use the amplifier btw. I'm using yuin pk1's.

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #412 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm also noticing some cracks and static noise coming out of my earbuds when using the fiio. Looks like it could potentially be harmful to your headphones. Problem is completely solved when I dont use the amplifier btw. I'm using yuin pk1's.

I wouldn't say it's just a bass booster at all. Yes, It boosts the bass yes but it does widens the soundstage on some 'phones as well. Also the Fiio (if you've read a bit of the thread) is quite picky synergy-wise. While it goes great with some, it sucks with others. It goes great with say the RE2's for example.

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #413 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have had the Fiio now for a couple of days. I'm going from Touch > OEM cable > Fiio > SA6. So far it's performed brilliantly. Bass is noticeably bigger, especially the really low freqs, which are considerbaly more thumpy and pronounced. I've noticed a slight increase in soundstage, and slightly more detail in the mids. The only problem thus far is a noticeable decrease in treble sparkle, but treble isn't an area that the SA6 lacks in performance so it can be compensated for (at least partially) with the treble++ port.

Well, the frequency graph of the Fiio explains this:

fiio2.jpg

I've EQ'ed the drop in treble as I like my earphones a tad bright.

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #414 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Fiio works well with my Yuin PK1's... Even if it *is* just as a bass boost, at least it's a smooth bass boost.

I haven't noticed any static/crackling - maybe you got a dud. One of the two that I received originally was a complete dud (DOA). Seems that for the price, the Quality Control might suffer a bit.

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #415 of 877
Since they were so cheap, I bought three. First one is still working. I share the view that they are great with some phones, not needed with others. I just had them hooked up with the de-podded im716s and the Sony A818, and the ALs sounded simply awesome, with clear, clean crisp and impressive bass. Same when I moved to the Zune80. Impressive sound.

In both cases, the Ety-like detail of the 716s was still there, but when I unplugged the FiiO, the 716s lost something. A bass boost, maybe. But a welcomed one for $8.50. Some phones just need a little bottom end push that EQ won't deliver. For what they are, they are worth it. If they start failing regularly, it would be a shame.

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #416 of 877
Those of you who want am amp of the same size with better SQ should try Travagans Colors instead. Than again, many of you probably buy E3 thinking the price won't really do you any harm at all and amping isn't really a top priority anyway.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #417 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of you who want am amp of the same size with better SQ should try Travagans Colors instead. Than again, many of you probably buy E3 thinking the price won't really do you any harm at all and amping isn't really a top priority anyway.

I dont think I could get past the feeling that Im carrying around a Milk Bone.

I think Im just going to buy the Penguine Caffeine Ultra or Royal for my next step up.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #418 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll look into it.

I got my 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter today, and tried my vintage Nova20 'phones with my iPod, then with the Fiio in the line-up. The Nova20s sound muffled and definitely underpowered when plugged directly into the iPod. No good at all, really. When used with the Fiio, I feel like I'm 5 rows back from center stage at a YoYo Ma concert... just kidding! The Fiio helps the Nova20s a lot, but not with nearly the same presence as with a Kenwood KA-3500. There's just not enough power there. Even my stock iPod phones sound better with a Fiio than the Nova20s did. I'll continue with Marshmallows and the Fiio, at least until my Sony EX90LPs arrive.

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #419 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since they were so cheap, I bought three. First one is still working.

Are other two dead?

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #420 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are other two dead?

I'm pretty sure he means that the first hasn't failed yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back