FiiO AM3D-FiiO Releases the THX AAA Powered Headphone Amplifier Module AM3D
Jun 6, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #91 of 431
I’m just spitballing here because the device hasn’t been released yet, but I feel like you’re really going to need to upgrade to the Q5s in order to really hear the benefits from this new amp module. The AKM4493 DAC chip is no joke. Assuming all else being equal, it’s a big improvement over the 4490 in the Q5.
Not necessarily. The Q5 is a great device with a great sound signature. Sure the 4493 has all the bullet points on paper that make it a better DAC but it isn't leagues above the original; just a sidegrade. Maybe the Q6 will be some behemoth to write home about but the AM3d ought to pair well with the Q5. And if you have a better DAC on your desk just line in analog and go to town.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #92 of 431
I would agree, the differences in specifications between the two chips are immaterial and well beyond the point of our ability to detect anything even remotely audible. In fact I would go so far as to suggest that there is absolutely no human being alive today or ever that could hear the differences simply due to specifications. Now if one chip was implemented better than the other, in theory you might then be able to hear a difference, but we know that FiiO implemented the DAC section exceedingly well with the original Q5.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #93 of 431
I just got the FiiO AM3D THX AAA-78 Amp Module this week for my X7 MKii DAP. I am like of the rest here, It is only a slight improvement that I can tell both in noise floor and some dynamics. Overall it’s a welcome improvement but not mind-blowing. I would also agree that some people will not hear it or even appreciate the differences between the AM3B vs AM3D.

Unboxing was nice, and the install was simple. My overall experience is positive but would warn people not to have over expectations that the AM3D is going to blow the doors off the AM3B.

Now for some Pictures:

I7qj3z7.jpg

3cY6H7H.jpg
FbscAJo.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #94 of 431
Well, I’d argue there’s more to a DAC’s sound than what’s listed on a spec sheet. The 4493 device that I own sounds better than any 4490 device I’ve ever heard or owned in the past. I’m just trying to understand what people are describing as their experience. People are surprised that the AM3D isn’t making their Q5 sound markedly better and my point is that all the improvements the amp module brings to the sound are marginal. It might require a new device with a marginally better DAC section to bring those improvements into relief. Or maybe the AM3D is a bit hyped and it won’t make the Q5s sound all that much better either and the default amp module it comes with will make the Q5s worth the upgrade.

This is all just admittedly speculation on my part. But early buzz on the FiiO M11, which also uses the same chip as the Shanling M5s and the upcoming Q5s, is pretty darn positive. I guess what I’m saying is, until evidence tells me otherwise, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that these 4493-based devices happen to be setting a new standard in portable sound quality at this price point. Ideally we could have someone from FiiO chime in to tell us what the new chip brought to the party, but until then I’m gonna assume what was cost-effective in terms of implementation now didn’t just miraculously leap frog what was possible a few years ago.

This is all a bit off-topic, so apologies. I’ve been surprised at the sound quality from my DAP and would love a AAA amp to go along with a DAC section like the 4493. Hence my bringing up the topic in the first place.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #95 of 431
Does it give neutral sound? I have seen claims of this THX AAA-78 being very true to life sound (Implemented in other gear). With lots of details and dynamics making some describing it too analytical and fatiguing on long listening sessions. However as some describe Q5 being little warm in sound, this would be a good match for a neutral and transparent option. I am getting both Q5S and AM3D to be paired with my new Focal Clear Pro and HE1000 V2. I have Westone W80 too for comparisons.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #96 of 431
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #97 of 431
Well, I’d argue there’s more to a DAC’s sound than what’s listed on a spec sheet. The 4493 device that I own sounds better than any 4490 device I’ve ever heard or owned in the past. I’m just trying to understand what people are describing as their experience. People are surprised that the AM3D isn’t making their Q5 sound markedly better and my point is that all the improvements the amp module brings to the sound are marginal. It might require a new device with a marginally better DAC section to bring those improvements into relief. Or maybe the AM3D is a bit hyped and it won’t make the Q5s sound all that much better either and the default amp module it comes with will make the Q5s worth the upgrade.

This is all just admittedly speculation on my part. But early buzz on the FiiO M11, which also uses the same chip as the Shanling M5s and the upcoming Q5s, is pretty darn positive. I guess what I’m saying is, until evidence tells me otherwise, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that these 4493-based devices happen to be setting a new standard in portable sound quality at this price point. Ideally we could have someone from FiiO chime in to tell us what the new chip brought to the party, but until then I’m gonna assume what was cost-effective in terms of implementation now didn’t just miraculously leap frog what was possible a few years ago.

I think a lot has to do with the whole THX-AAA hype. not that I have any other THX-AAA amp to compare, but there is a lot of hype regardless. I do enjoy what the AM3D brings and is an improvement IMO.

Jun 6, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #98 of 431
Jun 6, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #99 of 431
Looks similar in specifications in terms of power.
Identical for all intent and purpose. I am still happy to have it with my Q5. I wish I could quickly swap so as to compare with the AM3E, but both are excellent so that is all that matters. Now I have a spare amplifier module if one fails. Plus, as more headphone companies embrace the 4.4mm standard for balanced I have a very capable amplifier on hand so that is also worthwhile to me.

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #101 of 431
It is very popular in Japan. Most Japanese impressions on FIIO twitter page describe it as being neutral, clean, transparent, fast and having widened soundstage.
However these changes seem to be very minimal in comparison to AM3E. That's good news as Q5S is fixed AM3E default.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #102 of 431
I'm sure the Q5s is bound to impress with it's implementation of the 4493: even the monoprice THX series seems to please most. When I do upgrade I'll be more excited for the LDAC capability for better fidelity on the go away from my Chromecast Music's optical output more than anything.

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #103 of 431
Just received the AM3D and even got a free gift (X7 case at first sight).

I’m going to give it some hours and will let you guys know how it sounds.

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #104 of 431
I'm sure the Q5s is bound to impress with it's implementation of the 4493: even the monoprice THX series seems to please most. When I do upgrade I'll be more excited for the LDAC capability for better fidelity on the go away from my Chromecast Music's optical output more than anything.

The Monoprice THX stuff is very intriguing to me that is for sure.

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #105 of 431
retracted, no real value for the community so removed. Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back