FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
May 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #451 of 685
I just bought these a few days ago. I've had them playing solid for at least two of those days and there is unquestionably an improvement in SQ. They just came to life. 

I will say that these having recessed mids is an understatement. They are WAY recessed compared to the bass and treble. I'm hoping that further burn-in improves this. 

Sibilance is also a legitimate concern but for electronic and dub it's no big deal. It's annoying when listening to Adele though. 

May 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #452 of 685
Are these basically the same as the Ultrasone 550?  I am considering those.  I am looking for the type of bass you and others are describing, but also concerned about clarity, like the Sennheiser HD380, but with more bass.  I'm wondering if the Ultrasone 900 is that much better than these or should I save my $$$ and give these a try.

May 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #453 of 685
Quote:
Are these basically the same as the Ultrasone 550?  I am considering those.  I am looking for the type of bass you and others are describing, but also concerned about clarity, like the Sennheiser HD380, but with more bass.  I'm wondering if the Ultrasone 900 is that much better than these or should I save my $$$ and give these a try.

The 580 is the same as the DJ1, whilst the 550 PRO is the same as the DJ1 Pro. They are 2 different models.

It's hard to compare the 580 with the PRO900 as they are in 2 different leagues. I myself can't speak for the PRO900 as I've never had the fortune of auditioning one. Still, if you're an EDM lover, and you're okay with a V-shaped FR curve on the 580s, then go for it. It's basically a fun, bassy can that really shines with electronic music. Hope this helps. :)

May 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #454 of 685
Quote:

Most people say they need 100 hours. I'd give it 50 hours or 2 days at least before judging it, and it might sort out the channel problem by itself by then too.

I wouldn't say it's a "normal" thing, but it certainly is possible that there's a channel imbalance. (It's also possible that you are crazy, but I'm going under the assumption that you aren't.)

Thanks macrocheesium.

At the end I'm going to return them. Definitely is not a "normal" thing.

When the balance control is centered, I feel the right channel sounding more distant than the left one. When the balance control is on the right, continues sounding insipid and even more distant than the left.

I'll tell impressions when received the new pair.

May 9, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #456 of 685
Quote:
Whats the best bass boost amp for the HFI-580? I know that the ZO2 causes distortions when used with ultrasones so any recommendations? 

ZO2.3 causes no distortions on my HFI 580 at contour levels up to the dark orange range.

If you really love bass, then get the ZO2.3. You won't regret it.

May 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #457 of 685
If you can get them for a reduced price, Beats Pros are not bad at all.

May 11, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #458 of 685
Well, new pair received. I'm surprised to see that this pair comes with a protective plastic on the earcups. The pair that I returned didn't came with that, but the truth is it seemed to have been used for a short time because the earpads of the currents looks slightly tighter and newer as well.

I've only listened to 3 or 4 tracks with the newer, but I can notice the sound to be more equilibrated: the left channel doesn't sound so more prominent than the right one as happened with the returned pair. Right now, the right channel has more presence and doesn't seem static.

Let's see how they sound after some hours.

May 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #459 of 685
Hi, I've been somewhat busy, but right now I've listened to the new pair almost for the same hours than the defective one I received the first time.

I can confirm that the new pair has a more equilibrated sound. Neither of the channels seems to be more prominent or detailed than the other.

I'm happy now but still find one complaint. A few days ago the barber cut my hair and now the headband hurts on the top my head. I guess this will stop when my hair grow back. Despite that, I like how they clamp to my head. The pads do well their work.

May 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #460 of 685
So i just got the DJ1's, however when i got home i noticed that on the box says 64ohm and they look a bit different from the ones on the ultrasone website, so i'm not sure what to do. By looking at the specs from the manual with witch they came with it seems the specs have changed a bit for both cans, i think what i got is an older model, so are these still a 580 rebranded? I have attached pictures with the manual and the headset. Also found a couple of websites that still have the 64ohm version, some of them with the picture of the new model.
http://www.epinions.com/specs/Ultrasone_DJ1_Headphones
http://headphones.venturebeat.com/l/933/Ultrasone-DJ-1
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ultrasone-dj1-headphones

May 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #461 of 685
Quote:
So i just got the DJ1's, however when i got home i noticed that on the box says 64ohm and they look a bit different from the ones on the ultrasone website, so i'm not sure what to do. By looking at the specs from the manual with witch they came with it seems the specs have changed a bit for both cans, i think what i got is an older model, so are these still a 580 rebranded? I have attached pictures with the manual and the headset. Also found a couple of websites that still have the 64ohm version, some of them with the picture of the new model.
http://www.epinions.com/specs/Ultrasone_DJ1_Headphones
http://headphones.venturebeat.com/l/933/Ultrasone-DJ-1
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ultrasone-dj1-headphones

The HFI 580s and the DJ1 are the exact same model. The impedance listed for both models on Ultrasone's website is 32ohms. It's strange then, since your can looks different from the normal DJ1. I'm not sure if Ultrasone has refreshed the DJ line.

A search on Google Images shows that there are other DJ1 cans with the same outward appearance as yours. You may have purchased an older model.

May 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #462 of 685
hifinoob005, as Malevolent is telling, you've purchased an older version of the DJ1's.

The ones you've bought are the same than the HFI-550's (not the PRO-550), while the current DJ1's are the same than the HFI-580's.

As figured at the specs, the current ones have an impedance of 32 Ohm and come with S-Logic Plus and ULE (Ultra Low Emission - MU-Metal shielding) technologies, while the older ones have an impedance of 64 Ohm and only come with the S-Logic technology. The new S-Logic Plus seems to improve the older S-Logic in the small cup Ultrasone headphones.

I purchased some weeks ago the current DJ1's. I went for them because the impedance of 32 Ohm, among other things. If I'd received the olders instead the currents, I'd exchanged them by the currents.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #464 of 685
I'm seriously considering getting a Sennheiser HD280 mostly out of curiosity and detail level of HD280s but a friend of mine recommended me HFI-580s. Which one do you guys think have better detail, HD280 or HFI-580?

Also I listen lots of rock music as well, which makes me drift away from HFI-580 due to their lack of mid range fullness.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #465 of 685
Quote:
I'm seriously considering getting a Sennheiser HD280 mostly out of curiosity and detail level of HD280s but a friend of mine recommended me HFI-580s. Which one do you guys think have better detail, HD280 or HFI-580?

Also I listen lots of rock music as well, which makes me drift away from HFI-580 due to their lack of mid range fullness.

I dislike the 280s quite a bit. They are not very musical, very boring to listen to. Also, the padding on them is absolute rubbish. I can't compare detail, since the 280s are not mine. But the 780 is supposed to have less bass that the 580. Giving more midrange detail. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back