FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Sep 15, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #2,506 of 3,064
  Haha sorry for the out of field question, I'm currently studying a bit of psychology on the side and I've become very interested in our brains' mental processes and such. I also just assumed that ASMR was common knowledge, which apparently it really isn't. 
eek.gif

You guys should look up those ASMR videos on youtube, they're really quite a peculiar thing to listen to.

This article actually ties into a lot about what I'm learning from a psychology book that I'm currently reading. One other interesting thing that you may not know is that musicians, such as pianists, actually have developed unique parts of their brains that are specifically designed to process auditory code in a more elaborate way. It makes me feel kind of weird as an amateur pianist haha.

Source: http://mic.com/articles/91329/science-shows-how-piano-players-brains-are-actually-different-from-everybody-elses

alllllright this is the last off topic post for me 
rolleyes.gif

I'd never heard of ASMR,  it sounds very interesting, though straight off the bat I can tell you gentle whispering isn't something I enjoy from some past experiences, it may actually do me more harm than good.

I am quite sensitive to subtle sounds. I'll stick to goosebumps and engaging (brief) body rushes. There was a certain rig I had (a few actually) I could bring on instant goose bumps using some Andrea Bocelli tracks at will. A83 / Alien was (is) one of those combinations, though like I mentioned it appears my body/brain has become immune overtime and doesn't become as thrilled now, any goose bumps are a lot smaller or very faint.

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #2,507 of 3,064
stop going off topic, discuss it in pm messages like all civilised people do

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #2,508 of 3,064

Just let them discuss this topic is dead anyways most of the time so it will liven up the discussion. They are doing it in very civilized manner anyways unlike your comment.

My Spiral Dot MS size arrived today, I personally feel that I picked the right size as the isolation feels better and fit is very good. I have only tested the tips home, but I feel that the isolation has improved and I am excited to see what they feel like in crowded bus for example. The worst tips I tried were where I heard baby cry over my music.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,509 of 3,064

Implying they're being uncivilized is a bit uncivilized considering how politely they're going about this don't you think? Besides, it's all related to sensations felt while using the A83 anyway.

Seems my wiggling is like @Brooko's first pair of A83 where the sockets weren't loose, but the connectors were loose in the sockets. I got a cheap lunashops cable a while back to test my first pair and it's now worked quite well on this second pair. The connectors are very secure in the sockets this time and I'm not having any cutting out issues yet.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2,510 of 3,064

Implying they're being uncivilized is a bit uncivilized considering how politely they're going about this don't you think? Besides, it's all related to sensations felt while using the A83 anyway.

Seems my wiggling is like @Brooko's first pair of A83 where the sockets weren't loose, but the connectors were loose in the sockets. I got a cheap lunashops cable a while back to test my first pair and it's now worked quite well on this second pair. The connectors are very secure in the sockets this time and I'm not having any cutting out issues yet.

Nice! I think that based on three total anecdotes now it seems that the issue of cutting out and cable looseness is mainly due to the stock cable itself rather than the mechanism of the housings. I'm assuming that you don't have the "newest" batch version where the cable sockets are recessed, because you seem to have not had trouble with your aftermarket cable.

Just let them discuss this topic is dead anyways most of the time so it will liven up the discussion. They are doing it in very civilized manner anyways unlike your comment.

My Spiral Dot MS size arrived today, I personally feel that I picked the right size as the isolation feels better and fit is very good. I have only tested the tips home, but I feel that the isolation has improved and I am excited to see what they feel like in crowded bus for example. The worst tips I tried were where I heard baby cry over my music.

When you say MS, do you mean Medium? Is there a Medium-small size or something? But yeah, good luck, I personally just switched back to spirals AGAIN from sony hybrids... For some reason the hybrids sounded extremely sibilant one day and found that the fit was less consistent than the spirals, probably because the rubber chute of the tip doesn't really fit the A83 well(it requires a bit of a stretch that may create a crooked shape). Spirals are probably one of the most compatible silicon tips I've used so far.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2,511 of 3,064
Ms is the middle child of medium and small. There is also ML for the medium-large crossover. Not many companies offer middle sizes to the standard sizes, so the spirals deserve some slow clap.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,512 of 3,064

Nice! I think that based on three total anecdotes now it seems that the issue of cutting out and cable looseness is mainly due to the stock cable itself rather than the mechanism of the housings. I'm assuming that you don't have the "newest" batch version where the cable sockets are recessed, because you seem to have not had trouble with your aftermarket cable.

When you say MS, do you mean Medium? Is there a Medium-small size or something? But yeah, good luck, I personally just switched back to spirals AGAIN from sony hybrids... For some reason the hybrids sounded extremely sibilant one day and found that the fit was less consistent than the spirals, probably because the rubber chute of the tip doesn't really fit the A83 well(it requires a bit of a stretch that may create a crooked shape). Spirals are probably one of the most compatible silicon tips I've used so far.

Yeah Medium Small. I had hard time deciding which would be suitable for me. Small felt too small and medium felt too big when I used other tips, but with these I tried my luck with medium small and bam perfect.

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,513 of 3,064

By my own definitions, which you've probably come across already earlier in the thread, my first set was version 2 (died from loose socket, wasn't a cable issue) and my current set is version 1, which had a cable issue, fixed by switching to a cheap lunashops cable.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #2,514 of 3,064
By my own definitions, which you've probably come across already earlier in the thread, my first set was version 2 (died from loose socket, wasn't a cable issue) and my current set is version 1, which had a cable issue, fixed by switching to a cheap lunashops cable.

I believe I have version 2 (locking tab with chin slider) and I have the same issue as you, where the connection was loose. I did cut off the locking tabs, but wiggling the A83 doesn't cause the cut outs. I've been using a Shure cable for over four months now and no issues other than the need to cleaning the mmcx connectors once in a while (which is a long time). This is for the right side, by the way, the left is completely fine.

A long time ago when you mentioned your problem with the version 2, I originally assumed it was a cable issue, but then I believe you tested it by switching the cables and one side just died. Is the cutting out just specific to one side?

Regarding tips, I use Complys and Sony hybrid isolation tips for isolation, but I use the JVC Spiral Dots since I don't use the A83s in loud environments anymore (they are also comfortable).

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,515 of 3,064
oh... my...  goodness....

48 hours, 23 different tips, a submitted RMA, then a last ditch effort at tweaking the memory wire differently along with a previously untried RHA large double flange and NOW I see the light.

wow wow wow... these things are absolutely fantastic!!!

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #2,517 of 3,064

lol

no need to scoff at this man's joy! 
rolleyes.gif

oh... my...  goodness....

48 hours, 23 different tips, a submitted RMA, then a last ditch effort at tweaking the memory wire differently along with a previously untried RHA large double flange and NOW I see the light.

wow wow wow... these things are absolutely fantastic!!!

Tip rolling is definitely a must with them. Glad you found something you like.

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #2,519 of 3,064
Finally got my jvc spiral dots after 2 weeks of waiting and imo these have a better fit in my ears giving the a83's a fuller sound and not as sibilant as before compared to stock large silicon tips and non comply foam tips (paired with ibasso d-zero mk2). Its actually as if im listening to a whole new iem.
L3000.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #2,520 of 3,064
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Fiio X5ii. 
regular_smile .gif

Anyone have thoughts on the A83 + X5ii pairing? Currently, I'm using a DX50, but I have grown a bit annoyed at the drawbacks it has(especially the ear blasting POP sound upon powering the device on). I hear that there isn't any hiss or background noise on the X5ii either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back