Fidelio X1 vs V-MODA M-100 as basshead can?
May 23, 2014 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sexhero

New Head-Fier
Hello,

A newbie here. I recently purchased DT 880, HD598 and Centrance Hifi-M8. Only DT 880 has arrived, the other two are on the way. I heard that DT 880 and HD598 are great for many genre, so my plan is to keep the one that I like and return the other one. 

At the same time, I am also looking for a basshead can that doesn't sound muddy. Both X1 and M-100 are on the wall of fame on innerfidelity, so I am sure either of them will be a great choice. The question is how X1 being open and M-100 being sealed will affect their sound quality. Soundstage is really important to me, so I think X1 will be better in that regard. However, I heard that a sealed can produces better bass tones.

How much better would M-100's bass sound than X1? How would X1's soundstage be better than M-100? They will be used in an office/home environment. I love R&B and rock. I enjoy hiphop and electronic.

Thanks!

May 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 18
Hi,

If you finally pick DT880s, then you should consider DT770 80 Ohm version.

If you want powerful sub-bass (20-50hz) then open back headphones are not the way to go. If you want open back headphones with punchy mid-bass you should consider Yamaha HPH200.
My HPH200 have more mid bass impact vs. my Fidelios L1.

You could also read about Yamaha Pro 500 (Closed back headphones)

Best Luck!

May 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for your input! I know it's a dumb question, but what's sub bass? Would you say the lowest drum beats in typical R&B / hiphop songs are considered as sub bass? If not, could you provide some examples of sub bass...?

May 23, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 18
  Hello,

A newbie here. I recently purchased DT 880, HD598 and Centrance Hifi-M8. Only DT 880 has arrived, the other two are on the way. I heard that DT 880 and HD598 are great for many genre, so my plan is to keep the one that I like and return the other one. 

At the same time, I am also looking for a basshead can that doesn't sound muddy. Both X1 and M-100 are on the wall of fame on innerfidelity, so I am sure either of them will be a great choice. The question is how X1 being open and M-100 being sealed will affect their sound quality. Soundstage is really important to me, so I think X1 will be better in that regard. However, I heard that a sealed can produces better bass tones.

How much better would M-100's bass sound than X1? How would X1's soundstage be better than M-100? They will be used in an office/home environment. I love R&B and rock. I enjoy hiphop and electronic.

Thanks!

It's much deeper on the M-100.  Look at the frequency graphs of both (they graphs on inner fidelity), they can help tell a story of how these two headphones will sound.

May 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for your input! I know it's a dumb question, but what's sub bass? Would you say the lowest drum beats in typical R&B / hiphop songs are considered as sub bass? If not, could you provide some examples of sub bass...?

Here you have an example:

Exactly 54 seconds after the beginning you'll hear a 35Hz sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NaJ-ePq_w4

May 24, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 18
  It's much deeper on the M-100.  Look at the frequency graphs of both (they graphs on inner fidelity), they can help tell a story of how these two headphones will sound.

Yeah, it looks like X1 doesn't handle sub bass very well. Looking at the FR curve of M-100 , there is a big hump near 400 Hz. I guess it's what they call "recessed mid"...

May 24, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 18

Wow, that's a very nice piece of music! I am buying the CD. Thanks for hooking me up!

I listened to the track with both TF 10 and DT 880, and I can actually hear that TF 10 handles the sub bass tones much better. I guess the difference between M-100 and X1 will be similar to this...?

So M-100 will be better for sub-bass and X1 will be better for midrange and soundstage.  

May 24, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 18
Yeah, it looks like X1 doesn't handle sub bass very well. Looking at the FR curve of M-100 , there is a big hump near 400 Hz. I guess it's what they call "recessed mid"...

Not sure I would say recessed mids but "accentuated midbass" but i haven't looked at the X1 graph in awhile. Most open cans (like the X1) don't handle sub bass well but closed cans usually do (like the M100).

May 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 18

Good piece!

I use "Throwback" by B.o.B. to check subbass... 33 sec in is the first occurence of the low C ("C1" for those who speak that way) on the piano keyboard... 32 Hz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHc1rtrOlSA

May 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 18
  Wow, that's a very nice piece of music! I am buying the CD. Thanks for hooking me up!

You're welcome! Dance in the Moon is a great album. CD quality is noticeably better than youtube quality in this case.

May 24, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Not sure I would say recessed mids but "accentuated midbass" but i haven't looked at the X1 graph in awhile. Most open cans (like the X1) don't handle sub bass well but closed cans usually do (like the M100).

Oops I meant to say there is a dip near 400 Hz. 

On the other hand, Hifiman HE-400 has flat response in 40-200 Hz with a decent size hump near 1000 Hz. So HE-400 would be better for sub-bass response and accentuated female vocal..? Then HE-400 might be a better choice than X1...??

May 26, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 18
  Oops I meant to say there is a dip near 400 Hz. 

On the other hand, Hifiman HE-400 has flat response in 40-200 Hz with a decent size hump near 1000 Hz. So HE-400 would be better for sub-bass response and accentuated female vocal..? Then HE-400 might be a better choice than X1...??

If you're looking for a basshead set of headphones, I don't see how the X1 would suffice given the lack of sub bass.  The M100s would be perfect as a basshead can or even the Shure SRH1540 ($500), IMO.  As someone pointed out in another thread, the SRH1540s have a similar frequency graph to the X1 but with subbass (they're also closed headphones).

May 28, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 18
  If you're looking for a basshead set of headphones, I don't see how the X1 would suffice given the lack of sub bass.  The M100s would be perfect as a basshead can or even the Shure SRH1540 ($500), IMO.  As someone pointed out in another thread, the SRH1540s have a similar frequency graph to the X1 but with subbass (they're also closed headphones).

SRH1540 seems like a nice choice,doesn't seem to have as much dip in sub-bass frequency. But costs twice as much as X1, and I am not sure if it's worth the cost difference? I guess it depends on how much I like sub-bass..

May 28, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 18
SRH1540 seems like a nice choice,doesn't seem to have as much dip in sub-bass frequency. But costs twice as much as X1, and I am not sure if it's worth the cost difference? I guess it depends on how much I like sub-bass..

Thats true they are expensive. I don't think you can go wrong with the X1 or M100. Good luck in your decision.

May 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 18
Thats true they are expensive. I don't think you can go wrong with the X1 or M100. Good luck in your decision.

I am inclining towards HE-400, I heard it's on par with HD650 witb great bass response. If the bass quantity is not sufficient, I think I can always use EQ to boost bass. Is it not a good idea to buy headphones with a plan to rely on EQ to get the bass response you like??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back