Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #3,541 of 6,413
Quote:

If you changed nothing about the AS(G)-2 they would still be my first choice for IEMs in any context, as their quality, affordability, and upgradeability combined are unmatched, and my ears love the Aurisonics house sound. I think that pushing the bass tuning more towards sub-bass extension from mid-bass impact would just be turning them up to 11 ;] Your responsiveness and concern for both markets was a major reason I finally made the dive into customs for monitors, and you guys just keep on rocking.

^^THIS^^

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #3,542 of 6,413
Quote:

[size=10pt]All I can say is we try really hard to put out a quality product, built by hand, made in the USA.  The ASG-2 is not perfect and to some may be rough around the edges but we sure sell a lot of them to the musician community who use them to make a living with and love them. We designed them for our core musician customers. The tuning works fantastic on stage as it is.[/size]

[size=10pt]However, I have been watching and listening to what people are saying and emails we get regarding different things about our products and I am pretty sure we can do an upgrade that will make sense to those who want it. So here is a list of things to chew over so we can work on them.[/size]

[size=10pt]1. Tune mid bass down 250-400Hz[/size]

[size=10pt]2. Increase sub bass capability with the tunable bass port <80Hz[/size]

[size=10pt]3. Soften the highs slightly around 10k[/size]

[size=10pt]Does this sound about right?[/size]

[size=10pt]Remember the ASG-1 went through a few revs and so will the ASG-2. But since they are upgradeable we will make sure we take care of our Aurisonics family.[/size]

[size=10pt]BTW: I'll be in Hong Kong later this week if anyone wants to meet me and ask questions in person. Check out our facebook page for details.[/size]

These sound like the perfect changes to an already amazing earphone!

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #3,544 of 6,413
Quote:

These sound like the perfect changes to an already amazing earphone!

Quote:
Dear Aurisonics, Would you have any idea on approximately when the revision will take place?? 1-2 months? 3-6 months? 1 year plus?

I'm waiting on the revision where future revisions can be applied OTA. That's gonna be the best one....lol

These do sound like some amazing changes, I am interested to listen to these changes at the next opportunity to do so.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #3,545 of 6,413
Quote:
Dear Aurisonics, Would you have any idea on approximately when the revision will take place?? 1-2 months? 3-6 months? 1 year plus?

Having just asked the question I will still need time to develop some tweaks and an upgrade program. I think if we made the nozzle replaceable at some point with a few different tunings that would be best for the highs as some people say yes to the mod yet others say no. The AS-2 PRO (only available to pro touring musicians) has this type of adjustment and it is really helpful at tuning the highs.  

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #3,546 of 6,413
Quote:
Having just asked the question I will still need time to develop some tweaks and an upgrade program. I think if we made the nozzle replaceable at some point with a few different tunings that would be best for the highs as some people say yes to the mod yet others say no. The AS-2 PRO (only available to pro touring musicians) has this type of adjustment and it is really helpful at tuning the highs.  

Sounds like a helluva idea to me. Color me interested!

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #3,547 of 6,413
Sounds like a helluva idea to me. Color me interested!

+100

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]All I can say is we try really hard to put out a quality product, built by hand, made in the USA.  The ASG-2 is not perfect and to some may be rough around the edges but we sure sell a lot of them to the musician community who use them to make a living with and love them. We designed them for our core musician customers. The tuning works fantastic on stage as it is.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]However, I have been watching and listening to what people are saying and emails we get regarding different things about our products and I am pretty sure we can do an upgrade that will make sense to those who want it. So here is a list of things to chew over so we can work on them.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]1. Tune mid bass down 250-400Hz[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]2. Increase sub bass capability with the tunable bass port <80Hz[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]3. Soften the highs slightly around 10k[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Does this sound about right?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Remember the ASG-1 went through a few revs and so will the ASG-2. But since they are upgradeable we will make sure we take care of our Aurisonics family.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]BTW: I'll be in Hong Kong later this week if anyone wants to meet me and ask questions in person. Check out our facebook page for details.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Dale/Aurisonics,

• Just about everyone seems to be pulling for number (1).
  • Number (2) was unexpected and surprisingly interesting.
  • +100 to your idea for number (3).

Also,
If you could somehow make opening the bass port not create a dip from about 400hz - 1k as a side effect, I would probably hug you if I saw you. Edit: Though I feel like the cross valve might accomplish this as a matter of course.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #3,548 of 6,413
Ahhh all those changes sound great. Eagerly waiting for them to be implemented!

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #3,549 of 6,413
So I've received my AS-2's for about a week now so I think it's about time I wrote a little about how they are so far and provide a little teaser for what's to come in the review. So first off Stealth finish: Looks pretty epic but feels a little more cumbersome compared to the polished finished. It could just be my pair but after they arrived I saw there were a few minor imperfections on the finish on the logo on the "a" of the right ear as well as the tip of the nozzle on the right ear. The new cable is a bit more resistant to memory and has a shorter hook section near the top otherwise it's the same as the old cable. The sound shows an improvement over the ASG-1S for a number of reasons though I don't think it is completely fair for me to say that just yet at this time as I have not heard the latest update of the ASG-1S. The most notable difference between the two would be the soundstage and balance the soundstage of the ASG-1S is somewhat thrown off by the tuning and while balancing the tuning with the use of EQ helps, it does throw off the sound cues. The AS-2 allows more of the overall sound signature to shine more and while I can't exactly point out the cause(s) of the differences I hear I am quite sure it is a combination of the tweeters, the new driver that comes in the 1.3 update as well as the overall tuning of the AS-2. As for the bass port I notice they affect the decay of the bass the most (around the 100Hz and below range) based on maybe half an hour of testing so far. Compared to the IE8's bass port the AS-2's bass port seem's to work a better as it doesn't seem to curb the sound signature, of course I need to do more testing with this little feature.

As for the possible mods for the ASG-2 I have not run into any major problems worth noting so far I would suspect that the AS-2 may sound a tad better in this respect as they may not exist on my AS-2 because they're custom and are better tuned as they take into account how sound enters my ear.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3,550 of 6,413

[size=10pt]All I can say is we try really hard to put out a quality product, built by hand, made in the USA.  The ASG-2 is not perfect and to some may be rough around the edges but we sure sell a lot of them to the musician community who use them to make a living with and love them. We designed them for our core musician customers. The tuning works fantastic on stage as it is.[/size]

[size=10pt]However, I have been watching and listening to what people are saying and emails we get regarding different things about our products and I am pretty sure we can do an upgrade that will make sense to those who want it. So here is a list of things to chew over so we can work on them.[/size]

[size=10pt]1. Tune mid bass down 250-400Hz[/size]

[size=10pt]2. Increase sub bass capability with the tunable bass port <80Hz[/size]

[size=10pt]3. Soften the highs slightly around 10k[/size]

[size=10pt]Does this sound about right?[/size]

[size=10pt]Remember the ASG-1 went through a few revs and so will the ASG-2. But since they are upgradeable we will make sure we take care of our Aurisonics family.[/size]

[size=10pt]BTW: I'll be in Hong Kong later this week if anyone wants to meet me and ask questions in person. Check out our facebook page for details. [/size]

I need this. Would make it easily my best IEM.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #3,551 of 6,413
I've had my AS-2 since June.  I have it matched with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon v1 cable, which I've found to have a positive audible difference.  I have two other ciem and with this cable, the volume level is always 5-8 notches lower (from Samsung Galaxy S).  Back to the AS-2, I have the bass ports just barely open and over the months, I've grown accustom to them.  From a leisurely listening, they are huge step up from the ASG-1 (all variants).  The sound is dynamic and full, but a little too forward to meet my ideal preference and the treble can extend much farther than current and have a little better coherency with the bass.  However, next to my all-time favorite iem, the ER4S, they are opposites attract and (IMO) compliment each other well, and my search to find close match of the ER4S in a ciem format continues.  Just my 2 cents.

Regarding the robustness, I have accidentally dropped an ear piece on my cement floor and nothing happened.  In contrast, I have dropped an acrylic ciem on the same floor and it shattered.

-formerly known as 'alphaphoenix'

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #3,553 of 6,413

Users who are viewing this thread

Back