Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #3,166 of 6,413
I wouldn't even fully describe the ASG-1.3s like that anymore after burn in. The mids seemed to have pulled back a bit making the highs seem brighter and the bass more balanced. They also have plenty of detail, but not as much as BAs have. They are some of the more detailed dynamics that I have heard. They still have a bit of warmth to them, but I feel like they are approaching a more neutral response while still being mid forward, but not overly so. It is just enough to make vocals pop. The mids aren't overly forward however. They are clearly still stage monitors but I feel like Dale and Co. are tuning them to be more neutral so that they can be used for any sort of music that you might want to have stage monitors for. They don't really sound terrible with anything anymore. Even the tracks that I previously thought sounded overly dark, aren't as bad anymore. They are still on the dark side for those tracks, but it is at the point where I don't feel the NEED to EQ. It is becoming more of a preferential thing.I'm sure if I EQ they'll sound amazing, but for now I'm avoiding that in the interest of doing a 150+hr update to my review. (naturally some of this is head burn-in, but honestly, I've had head burn in before and even with that I've never felt the change be this radical, which makes me think its a combination of physical and mental burn-in)

I'm not going to post a site review until I'm done with my 3rd update which will be with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. 

May 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #3,167 of 6,413
Quote:

Lemons happen.  I'm sure Tyll is aware of that by now.  I know I've gotten my fair share of lemons. 

[size=medium]It's unfortunate Tyll did not reach out to us before posting anything nor has he responded to my email after reaching out to him directly upon seeing his article. I am quite sure it did not leave our shop that way. Will be good to get  them back and see what has happened to them. [/size]

May 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #3,168 of 6,413
Quote:
Pretty sure they are busted. ShotgunShane received his at Canlanta and had this to say: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626954/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-who-is-now-30-part-2/11100#post_9410018

There's also this guy here who stated that he found them to have more treble presence than even the JH13 Freq Phase when he auditioned them at Canlanta: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662855/canlanta-2013-impressions#post_9414351

And another JH13 owner praising the G-2: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/662707/canlanta-2013-may-4th-meet-impressions#post_9412391

I think it's really unfortunate that Tyll got a lemon, as the damage has likely already been done 

Wow it does sound like Tyll got an AS-1 or who knows what. Very unfortunate.

May 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #3,169 of 6,413
Kinda sucks, now I'm really confused about this whole lemon thing.  I do want to confirm for myself the asg 2's when you guys come to madison.  But...you guys work when I work (first shift), just like the banks that always close as soon as i get off work haha.  oh well
wink.gif

May 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #3,170 of 6,413
It would probably be a good idea to get properly functioning sets to 2 or more of the Inner Fidelity reviewers.

When the site reviewed the Meridian Explorer which came out of the gate with problems, the Inner Fidelity article went into depth about the product and how the issues were dealt with.  I believe there was a similar slant to an article about Focal headphones (don't quote me on that one).

It seems reasonable to believe you could get a re-review done.

May 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #3,171 of 6,413
Quote:
Kinda sucks, now I'm really confused about this whole lemon thing.  I do want to confirm for myself the asg 2's when you guys come to madison.  But...you guys work when I work (first shift), just like the banks that always close as soon as i get off work haha.  oh well
wink.gif

You could PM me and see if we could work out a time. We are on a tight schedule in Madison but I will do my best to meet up with you.

May 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #3,172 of 6,413
Nah its ok, I get off at 5pm, in fitchburg, just south of madison, so it should be another half hour to get anywhere in madison.  I don't wanna slow you guys down, good luck!

May 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #3,173 of 6,413
Quote:
[size=medium]It's unfortunate Tyll did not reach out to us before posting anything nor has he responded to my email after reaching out to him directly upon seeing his article. I am quite sure it did not leave our shop that way. Will be good to get  them back and see what has happened to them. [/size]

It's very unfortunate :frowning2:  I actually do hope it is a lemon... 

May 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #3,174 of 6,413
Quote:
It would probably be a good idea to get properly functioning sets to 2 or more of the Inner Fidelity reviewers.

When the site reviewed the Meridian Explorer which came out of the gate with problems, the Inner Fidelity article went into depth about the product and how the issues were dealt with.  I believe there was a similar slant to an article about Focal headphones (don't quote me on that one).

It seems reasonable to believe you could get another review done.

Tyll mentions he'll be sending in his pair and reporting back if his opinion changes when they come back, in his article. I think it will only be a matter of time before things are corrected/confirmed. It's a shame though that he didn't contact Aurisonics about it before posting his comments (apparently). Makes me question how much fact checking and everything else they do

May 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #3,175 of 6,413
Quote:

It's very unfortunate :frowning2:  I actually do hope it is a lemon... 

We had a couple AS-2 that went out  around the same time as Tyll's that developed a problem. We discovered the pads on the step down were stress fracturing  during transit and broke thus disabling the tweeters. We corrected this immediately by changing parts to a different one and attaching it better with an adhesive to prevent damage if the shipping box was dropped very hard. Since the 15mm is full range EQing them would have still yielded highs. Will see when we get them back from him.

May 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #3,176 of 6,413
Quote:
Nah its ok, I get off at 5pm, in fitchburg, just south of madison, so it should be another half hour to get anywhere in madison.  I don't wanna slow you guys down, good luck!

Looks like we are tearing down between 5 and 6 then going to dinner before heading to Chi town. If you want to come out I will make time for you to hear the ASG-2 first hand.

May 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #3,177 of 6,413
Quote:
We had a couple AS-2 that went out  around the same time as Tyll's that developed a problem. We discovered the pads on the step down were stress fracturing  during transit and broke thus disabling the tweeters. We corrected this immediately by changing parts to a different one and attaching it better with an adhesive to prevent damage if the shipping box was dropped very hard. Since the 15mm is full range EQing them would have still yielded highs. Will see when we get them back from him.

Glad to see the Aurisonics team is on top of things.  Keep it up. 

May 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3,178 of 6,413
Quote:
I feel like Dale/other staff post here quite frequently to address everyone's complaints or constructive criticisms. Like kenman said, it seems like they're trying their best which is really all you can ask for.

Thank you. Head-fi is important to us and we appreciate the interaction almost real time with customers this forum provides. It helps us make our products and company better and that is a good thing for everyone.

May 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #3,179 of 6,413
Dale addressed my complaints very forthcomingly, and I should have my set by next week. I stand by what I've said however, and I'm sure they'll incorporate my feedback into their future interactions.

On another note, I'm looking forward to some head to head time against the ER4S, on which I'll post detailed comparisons. No doubt they'll be quite different, but it's useful to have meaningful comparisons to something flat, which are so far pretty lacking for the ASG-2.

May 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #3,180 of 6,413
Too bad I'm not close enough to any of the locations where you'll be or I'd stop out and say hi.  Maybe I'll see what races are in your area since I have nothing planned until September and that's simply not possible 
biggrin.gif

Pulled from shotgunshane: "I'm not really understanding Tyll's impressions. He couldn't tell the tweeters are turned on? That makes zero sense to me. The AS-2 is nowhere near as dark as the ASG-1 and is brighter and the Westone uni's I've owned. That one is confusing."

This Exactly.  Granted I have the 1.2 but there's no comparison.  The AS-2 is brighter than the 1.2 and the Westone 4 I previously owned.  I think it's also more detailed than my PFE 232's.  Can't say more until I have my set back but Tyll's review left me dumbfounded.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back