Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #2,836 of 6,413
Quote:
Pretty sure the new bass port is exterior, not on the inside of the shell but part of the plate. 

yeah. I'm assuming it's that flat head screw that can be seen on the mockup of the ASG-2. The bass port on that guy's AS-2 was a little hex screw on the back of the phones 

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2,843 of 6,413
Quote:
AS-2, from sale day.

Well post some pics ! Before I start hurting you !
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,845 of 6,413
My AS-2 set arrived last Wednesday (a week ago) and I had a chance on Sunday to do a live worship set with them (electric guitar). I'm going to indulge myself in some hyperbole and say they are "game changers". I use that term because they are much flatter and much more fun/enjoyable to use than my Sensaphonic j-Phonics. That in and of itself is great, but what's really important is that I now hear things in my tone I didn't before. Because of that I'm playing with pickup selections I had previously avoided. I can tell that there is an upper-mid peak in the j-Phonic that I had previously attributed to my guitar and/or amp. That upper-mid peak kept me from using the bridge pickup on my mildly over-driven guitar tones because it had sounded too brittle and cutting. 

Then there's the bass. . . . Woah! With the j-Phonic I can hear the bass whereas with the AS-2 I feel it. It's not a more kind of thing, but rather the quality of bass is substantially different and better. The only analogy I can think of is that it's like having a sub woofer in your head. I also hesitate to use that analogy because the AS-2 bass is not bloated, fat or soft. It's just very full and real. This extends to the lower mids and it makes everything sound very pleasing.

Some cautions. I worked with these a lot over the weekend, and I've done some casual listening this week, but please keep in mind that my time with the AS-2's is still relatively minimal. My other caution is that my point of reference is a low end set of Shures and the j-Phonic's I've mentioned above. I have enjoyed the j-Phonics, and they have served me well, but the AS-2's are in another class (and more expensive). I have not used other high end IEM solutions.

For the non-musicians in the crowd (probably most of you?) I hope you can sift through my comments and pick out the tonal themes.

Terry.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #2,846 of 6,413
I applaud your caution. It's very easy to say things that might be misconstrued. The fact is they are really well rounded and if a track calls for more bass it's ready to deliver. If it wants more treble or midrange, it is also ready and willing and capable of doing so. It's really wonderful and I can already tell you are on the verge of enjoying them as much as I have. You may find a slight amount of burn in happen around 150-200 hours if things havent changed with this new driver. Just some added microdetails and 150-200 hours more enjoyment than you had before.... :)

Enjoy them
Quote:
My AS-2 set arrived last Wednesday (a week ago) and I had a chance on Sunday to do a live worship set with them (electric guitar). I'm going to indulge myself in some hyperbole and say they are "game changers". I use that term because they are much flatter and much more fun/enjoyable to use than my Sensaphonic j-Phonics. That in and of itself is great, but what's really important is that I now hear things in my tone I didn't before. Because of that I'm playing with pickup selections I had previously avoided. I can tell that there is an upper-mid peak in the j-Phonic that I had previously attributed to my guitar and/or amp. That upper-mid peak kept me from using the bridge pickup on my mildly over-driven guitar tones because it had sounded too brittle and cutting. 

Then there's the bass. . . . Woah! With the j-Phonic I can hear the bass whereas with the AS-2 I feel it. It's not a more kind of thing, but rather the quality of bass is substantially different and better. The only analogy I can think of is that it's like having a sub woofer in your head. I also hesitate to use that analogy because the AS-2 bass is not bloated, fat or soft. It's just very full and real. This extends to the lower mids and it makes everything sound very pleasing.

Some cautions. I worked with these a lot over the weekend, and I've done some casual listening this week, but please keep in mind that my time with the AS-2's is still relatively minimal. My other caution is that my point of reference is a low end set of Shures and the j-Phonic's I've mentioned above. I have enjoyed the j-Phonics, and they have served me well, but the AS-2's are in another class (and more expensive). I have not used other high end IEM solutions.

For the non-musicians in the crowd (probably most of you?) I hope you can sift through my comments and pick out the tonal themes.

Terry.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #2,847 of 6,413
Nice impressions Tone Seeker! Glad that they are fulfilling the performing needs of the musician community. Have you had a chance to listen to music through them?

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #2,848 of 6,413
Quote:
Nice impressions Tone Seeker! Glad that they are fulfilling the performing needs of the musician community. Have you had a chance to listen to music through them?

I have a 15 minute walk to and from work each day, and that is when I have done most of my casual listening. The problem however, is that it's -10C to -20C here and the AS-2's come into direct contact with my toque (keeps my head warm!). So, I hear some of the movement caused by my toque and parka hood over top of that as I walk. This is where the j-Phonics have an advantage. . .   they are very small and nestle inside my ear. The other issue is that I use my iPhone when I'm away from home and the iPhone adds some colouration. At home I play my Mac iTunes library through my live rig, which includes the high end set of converters in my guitar processor and my wired Shure PSM400 headphone amp. Sounds much nicer!

So, tonight I'm finally able to sit and do some quality listening. The j-Phonics sound thin and nasally, relative to the AS-2's. The AS-2's lack some of the presence of my studio monitors (Dynaudio BM-5a) and the bass is more dominant, but overall they sound more pleasant. For context, I don't have proper room treatment, I don't run sub-woofers and I have not fully dialed in the bass port on my AS-2's. 

When my AS-2's first arrived they sounded bloated and boomy, and they lacked articulation. With Aurisonics help (thanks Andy and Dale!) I discovered they were not properly inserted. I guess my ears are "thin", and the cable was catching an outer flap of skin. As part of troubleshooting process I adjusted both the bass and ambient ports, which helped us to identify the issue. The downside is that I didn't have a chance to hear them with the default setting. So, the bass port adjustment is close, but probably not bang on yet. The upside is that I've been able to hear what changes when the port is adjusted.

Terry.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #2,850 of 6,413
Some updates, 

The lows for the AS-2 are excellent, different tones of bass can be heard easily.
Even with the tweeters the Highs are not smack dead in your face.
Volume is so high you don't need to actually turn it up more than 20/100 for me.

Will snap some pictures later in the day :D

Don't think I'll be able to give impressions on the Stealth defenders that I've got though because Andy forgot to pack the filters into my order so they're unusable :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back