Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Sep 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,772 of 6,413
Quote:
Inaccurate. Generic ASG-1 can be upgraded to generic ASG-2. Custom AS-1 can be upgraded to custom model AS-2. This has been repeated over and over. Can't upgrade ASG-1 to AS-2 or AS-1 to ASG-2. That would require a new shell. And the Aurisonics process includes digital scanning of your impressions. So they would just use that unless its really out of date and your ears have grown since then or the original impressions were not good and you did not get a good fit. That would require you to take new impressions. Though the hyper coating on the AS-2 allows for any slight changes in ear size to be accounted for as it will help cling to your ear and make that perfect seal if their is enough of the coating.
I hope this was helpful. Wrote it on my phone

+1.  Aurisonics guaranteed an upgrade from AS-1 to AS-2 using the same shell as the shell actually had the room for the two drivers.  So long as you don't need a refit, you're good to go. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,775 of 6,413
Yes, thanks to the digital process, refits are the only cause for delay in the upgrade process. They may or may not necessarily be using the same shell for the AS-2. but if you've bought the AS-1 and then upgrade, they already have the exact same impressions to use for the new shell. It may or may not be necessary for a new shell, but it's fairly simple for them to reuse the information they have. 
Quote:

+1.  Aurisonics guaranteed an upgrade from AS-1 to AS-2 using the same shell as the shell actually had the room for the two drivers.  So long as you don't need a refit, you're good to go. 

Through my many talks with Dale, I have only gotten to be more impressed by him, but never any hard prices on the group buy or upgrades. Only thing I know for certain is in both cases it'll cost less than a brand new set. (for the upgrade) and less than normal MSRP price for AS-2's (for the group buy). But hey, you never know. It could just be a discount on aesthetic options for the group buy. Only time will tell. I am as clueless about it as you are.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,776 of 6,413
I've been giving my ASG-1.2 some tender loving ear time over the last few days. It's quite simply the best I've heard at reproducing the atmosphere of an atmosphere. It just has a magic with live recordings that doesn't seem to translate to studio records, and I can't figure out why.

I've spent the last few hours watching concerts on youtube because the effect is just so addictive. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #1,777 of 6,413
Hopefully those had some good quality recording to them. Youtube can be pretty decent when you find HD videos that the person actually cared about the audio quality when they formatted it.
Quote:
I've been giving my ASG-1.2 some tender loving ear time over the last few days. It's quite simply the best I've heard at reproducing the atmosphere of an atmosphere. It just has a magic with live recordings that doesn't seem to translate to studio records, and I can't figure out why.

I've spent the last few hours watching concerts on youtube because the effect is just so addictive. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #1,778 of 6,413
Quote:

I feel the exact same way every time I stick them into my ears. The expansive atmosphere that they create with live recordings, even with bad recordings... I honestly have not found it elsewhere, not even in my current JH11s/other demo CIEMs (which isn't that fair a comparison). Yet, once I put on a non-live/studio record (even FLAC-ripped ones)... the ASGs seem to lose some of their magic and require EQ-ing, and even then it feels like I'm not hearing their full worth.

Any seasoned 1.2 owners able to shed some light on this issue? Aside from the fact that they're tuned as musician monitors for live performances... 

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #1,779 of 6,413
Quote:

I feel the exact same way every time I stick them into my ears. The expansive atmosphere that they create with live recordings, even with bad recordings... I honestly have not found it elsewhere, not even in my current JH11s/other demo CIEMs (which isn't that fair a comparison). Yet, once I put on a non-live/studio record (even FLAC-ripped ones)... the ASGs seem to lose some of their magic and require EQ-ing, and even then it feels like I'm not hearing their full worth.

Any seasoned 1.2 owners able to shed some light on this issue? Aside from the fact that they're tuned as musician monitors for live performances... 

Live recordings aren't studio flat.  Depending on where as well as what type of live recording it is (rock, alt, pop, classical, etc), they will actually boost different parts of the spectrum.  Many live rock boost the bass and highs a bit.  The boost in the highs will actually help out the ASG tremendously.  It'll add to the warmer, lusher, and relaxed sound with a bit of energy and excitement.  This alone can help fix up vocals as well as the high end and help with timbre.  These are some decently-sized improvements in various areas of the spectrum leading to an overall large improvement.  

The studio flat recordings will sound very warm, very lush, and extremely relaxed with a hint of sparkle.  It is a little too relaxed for my taste, but many seem to like this sound.  Try giving the studio recordings a nice EQ to fix this (boost highs a bit really; if you want more bass, go for it, but you'd have to be a mad man to do that XD).

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,780 of 6,413
Quote:

I have to do some eq'ing else the sound is intolerable to me.  Once I hit that sweet spot with the equalizer, the sound is perfect.  Now if only I can wear them long term without hurting  my ear canals.  With the release of the UE900, I might get rid of these 
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,782 of 6,413

Quote:

I have to do some eq'ing else the sound is intolerable to me.  Once I hit that sweet spot with the equalizer, the sound is perfect.  Now if only I can wear them long term without hurting  my ear canals.  With the release of the UE900, I might get rid of these 
tongue.gif

Yes! The moment of pure joy when you get the sound that you've been looking for... I love how well these things respond to EQ. It's such a pity they don't fit you well though - if you decide to get the UE900, I really wouldn't mind taking them off ya... the more pairs the merrier 
tongue.gif

Quote:

Live recordings aren't studio flat.  Depending on where as well as what type of live recording it is (rock, alt, pop, classical, etc), they will actually boost different parts of the spectrum.  Many live rock boost the bass and highs a bit.  The boost in the highs will actually help out the ASG tremendously.  It'll add to the warmer, lusher, and relaxed sound with a bit of energy and excitement.  This alone can help fix up vocals as well as the high end and help with timbre.  These are some decently-sized improvements in various areas of the spectrum leading to an overall large improvement.  

The studio flat recordings will sound very warm, very lush, and extremely relaxed with a hint of sparkle.  It is a little too relaxed for my taste, but many seem to like this sound.  Try giving the studio recordings a nice EQ to fix this (boost highs a bit really; if you want more bass, go for it, but you'd have to be a mad man to do that XD).

Thing is, are studio recordings really that flat..? Don't different sound engineers mix with a variety of techniques/preferences and boost different portions of the spectrum as they seem fit? And I just feel like it's more than that, there's something about the ASG that -brings out- live recordings in a special way; you mentioned that the highs boost (from live recordings) help the ASG, but I see it in reverse - the ASG really helps live recordings (especially poorly recorded/mastered ones) to sound good. Hahaha 
cool.gif
 just my take. Your reasoning does make a whole lot of sense though.

Alrighty I'll try that out :) heh and just for the record, a bass boost isn't all that mad coming from a JH11 
biggrin.gif
 though it really becomes too much with techno/electronica...

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,783 of 6,413
Ok I'm thinking of buying a used pair of the ASG-1's, the originals not 1.1 or 1.2 and I was wanting to know how the compare to each and how much to get them upgraded?

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,784 of 6,413
Quote:
Ok I'm thinking of buying a used pair of the ASG-1's, the originals not 1.1 or 1.2 and I was wanting to know how the compare to each and how much to get them upgraded?

The 1.1 and 1.0 sound very similar.  The main differences, as far as I know is that the 1.0 has a spike at the 1.2 kHz region while the 1.1 has this moved to the 2 kHz region (the 2 kHz spike is much more common and known as a resonance spike to reproduce what the natural ear amplifies).  The 1.2 version rids of this spike, tames treble a little further, and adds a tone more bass.  

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,785 of 6,413
Quote:

Yes! The moment of pure joy when you get the sound that you've been looking for... I love how well these things respond to EQ. It's such a pity they don't fit you well though - if you decide to get the UE900, I really wouldn't mind taking them off ya... the more pairs the merrier 
tongue.gif

Thing is, are studio recordings really that flat..? Don't different sound engineers mix with a variety of techniques/preferences and boost different portions of the spectrum as they seem fit? And I just feel like it's more than that, there's something about the ASG that -brings out- live recordings in a special way; you mentioned that the highs boost (from live recordings) help the ASG, but I see it in reverse - the ASG really helps live recordings (especially poorly recorded/mastered ones) to sound good. Hahaha 
cool.gif
 just my take. Your reasoning does make a whole lot of sense though.

Alrighty I'll try that out :) heh and just for the record, a bass boost isn't all that mad coming from a JH11 
biggrin.gif
 though it really becomes too much with techno/electronica...

From what I've read, they don't do this.  I may be off though, but a live recording and a studio produced one will differ greatly in the way it's done.  Studio recordings rarely excessively boost any part of the spectrum.  The only times I've heard this done is when an artist has mastered their own recording.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back