Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #391 of 6,413
^Got it
biggrin.gif

Just posted on my ASG1 "DIY" thread: [<-edit]

Quote:
Got the chance to work further on my ASG1s and as a tribute to Avengers' Hulk and the cables turning to green, I made use of the green clay to fill up the space at the back of the cover
biggrin.gif

This somehow helped on letting me hear a bit more treble energy. I listened to my Fuze>ASG1 on the way to office with the treble setting at 0dB.

I can now hear clearer midbass and still hoping the bass could be tighter, but keeping in mind that I am only using the Fuze as source, it's a bliss to listen to this combo. I can now hear vocals soar in my head without hurting my brain due to shoutiness - checked this with Whitney Houston's I Have Nothing and I WIll Always Love You + Jane Siberry's It Can't Rain All The time. Vocals and instruments sounds very easy to listen to, they sound very natural which lets me enjoy the music intimately. The mids shine in the overall presentation followed by the bass [MDR7550's bass I think still remains superior here] and then the treble takes the background stage - it's there just not on the spot light like how DBA02 presents it.

Overall I am very much liking it!

May 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #392 of 6,413
ASG-1.2 mini-review:

REVISION 1.2  (May 17, 2012)

As I stated earlier, the ASG-1 was originally targeted at the professional crowd who needed to hear vocals and mid-range oriented instruments above all else. Unfortunately, this midrange emphasis, combined with the materials used to build the shell, created a shouty effect that made some music downright unpleasant to listen to. On top of that, the severe mid emphasis literally colored the rest of the sound, something that is usually attributed to large bass emphasis.

So, to address this, Dale (CEO of Aurisonics) created a nozzle filter and driver dampening material that would smooth out the peakiness in the midrange, and lessen the echo of the shell. He also increased the size of the internal port.  Below is the end result:

578327_434304689919641_209300975753348_1851227_237552496_n.jpg

As you can see, the peaks at ~2 kHz and 4.5 kHz have been vanquished, the bass response has increased (more on that later), and the treble is flatter down the range.

Sound

The whole point of the ASG-1 was to address the "faults" of the original version. I am happy to say that every issue I described has been resolved. However, one problem has arisen.

I'll start off with the most glaring fault of this revision of the ASG-1. The treble.

It's refined, it's richly defined with timbre as good, or better, than the GR07 (yeah, I know). The problem is that there's barely any of it. This leads to an overall darker sound that I feel HAS to be EQ'ed to restore some balance to the sound. When I do EQ it, it's the best earphone I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Below is the EQ is use on the Equalizer app for iPhone. As a matter of fact, it's just the "Treble Booster" preset.

My initial intent for this review was to continue the comparison with the Vsonic GR07, but there's really no point in going into detail. I've never heard my GR07 so utterly outclassed. The attributes that I could usually use to stand on a leg and defend the GR07 are simply done better by the ASG-1.2. 

The most striking thing to me was the difference in POWER  that the ASG-1.2 has over the GR07. I'm not just talking about bass response, but just in the overall sound is exuded by the ASG-1. It's really quite stunning, and makes my GR07 sound positively anemic in comparison.

The next aspect is the soundstage. I went from not hearing any discernable difference between the two, to it being a different story altogether. The greatest part about the ASG-1's presentation is the height of the soundstage. It's an involving, engaging experience that makes me not want to put it down. It's completely 3D, being able to throw cues in ANY direction.

The best part component of the ASG-1's sound, and the nail in the GR07's coffin, is the midrange. Now that the beast has been reigned in, it's become a magnificent animal that is capable of both power, and delicacy. I had maybe my third "wow" hi-fi moment when listening to John Mayer's "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room," and Taylor Swift's "Never Grow Up," and also her "Last Kiss" (I make no apologies for my music tastes, they are very diverse). Going back to my GR07 was just...underwhelming.

I had trouble recommending the version 1.0 of the Aurisonics ASG-1 due to it's problems. Would I version 1.2 over my previous favorite, the GR07, despite the diminished treble presence? A resounding yes. Reason being, you can EQ up the treble, but you can't add power and soundstage to an IEM.

In short, ASG-1.2 = AWESOME!!!

May 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #396 of 6,413
Quote:

Ahh ok, God knows they may miss it! Does it bother anyone that you have to EQ this things to make them acceptable?

"
Your sarcasm is highly unnecessary. I posted it on 2 threads, threads that deal directly with the product in question. So in reality I posted it on "other thead"

I EQ them for my tastes. Another person may choose not to.

May 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #400 of 6,413
Quote:
^Got it
biggrin.gif

Just posted on my ASG1 "DIY" thread: [<-edit]

Quote:
Got the chance to work further on my ASG1s and as a tribute to Avengers' Hulk and the cables turning to green, I made use of the green clay to fill up the space at the back of the cover
biggrin.gif

This somehow helped on letting me hear a bit more treble energy. I listened to my Fuze>ASG1 on the way to office with the treble setting at 0dB.

I can now hear clearer midbass and still hoping the bass could be tighter, but keeping in mind that I am only using the Fuze as source, it's a bliss to listen to this combo. I can now hear vocals soar in my head without hurting my brain due to shoutiness - checked this with Whitney Houston's I Have Nothing and I WIll Always Love You + Jane Siberry's It Can't Rain All The time. Vocals and instruments sounds very easy to listen to, they sound very natural which lets me enjoy the music intimately. The mids shine in the overall presentation followed by the bass [MDR7550's bass I think still remains superior here] and then the treble takes the background stage - it's there just not on the spot light like how DBA02 presents it.

Overall I am very much liking it!

you should just send this in for repairs for the LOLZIES of the situation.  And just see what dale says.

May 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #403 of 6,413
Quote:

Which one do you recommend? I've been looking into it because the jack sits flush against my iphone, making it incompatible with my cases.

I use the moon audio silver dragon, deeper deeper bass, and much better treble. After burning the cable in about 48 hours the difference is very dramatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back