Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jun 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #826 of 6,354

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
2,891
Likes
86
Yes, The 2nd series in the AS line, also known as the AS-2's, have a dual/twin BA in them for use as tweeters with the 15mm driver handling the rest of the spectrum (maybe some overlap, not sure). The combination of which is quite wonderful. Obviously a crossover has to exist between the input of the channel and a ground and the output of different drivers to deliver the sound signature they are tuned for. 
 
I want AS-1's because i love the AS-2's so much why shouldn't I also have the less expensive model? The AS-1's are tuned differently than the AS-2's and I feel that the differences would make for some great options for me for my listening practices. As well as the AS-1's were originally what I ordered, I still want them. 
Quote:
The AS-2b have the twin BA tweeters right? is there a crossover?
 
Just out of curiosity, how come you want AS-1s?

Yes and yes. Please confirm Ken.

P.S. I am also planning on doing a direct comparison of the two for those on the thread when I get them. I think the single 15mm driver in the AS-1's will benefit me also for when i don't want to use a nice clean amp for the AS-2's as obviously lower quality amps have the tendency to add hiss when paired with BA based CIEMs
 
Jun 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #827 of 6,354

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
8,360
Likes
1,404
Quote:
Yes, The 2nd series in the AS line, also known as the AS-2's, have a dual/twin BA in them for use as tweeters with the 15mm driver handling the rest of the spectrum (maybe some overlap, not sure). The combination of which is quite wonderful. Obviously a crossover has to exist between the input of the channel and a ground and the output of different drivers to deliver the sound signature they are tuned for. 
 
I want AS-1's because i love the AS-2's so much why shouldn't I also have the less expensive model? The AS-1's are tuned differently than the AS-2's and I feel that the differences would make for some great options for me for my listening practices. As well as the AS-1's were originally what I ordered, I still want them. 
P.S. I am also planning on doing a direct comparison of the two for those on the thread when I get them. I think the single 15mm driver in the AS-1's will benefit me also for when i don't want to use a nice clean amp for the AS-2's as obviously lower quality amps have the tendency to add hiss when paired with BA based CIEMs

 
IDK if the AS-2 will have a crossover or not, it doesn't have to, just so you know.  The Phonak PFE 232 has one driver for the lows, and one for the highs, with everything split up appropriately.  Well, they don't use a crossover.  There is no guarantee either way that the AS-2 will have one.  I did want to point that out. 
 
Jun 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #828 of 6,354

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Posts
1,136
Likes
56
Quote:
Yes, The 2nd series in the AS line, also known as the AS-2's, have a dual/twin BA in them for use as tweeters with the 15mm driver handling the rest of the spectrum (maybe some overlap, not sure). The combination of which is quite wonderful. Obviously a crossover has to exist between the input of the channel and a ground and the output of different drivers to deliver the sound signature they are tuned for. 
 
I want AS-1's because i love the AS-2's so much why shouldn't I also have the less expensive model? The AS-1's are tuned differently than the AS-2's and I feel that the differences would make for some great options for me for my listening practices. As well as the AS-1's were originally what I ordered, I still want them. 
P.S. I am also planning on doing a direct comparison of the two for those on the thread when I get them. I think the single 15mm driver in the AS-1's will benefit me also for when i don't want to use a nice clean amp for the AS-2's as obviously lower quality amps have the tendency to add hiss when paired with BA based CIEMs


I would definitely be interested in a comparison..
 
It really comes back to the concept of more drivers/higher price != better sound. It comes down to preference i guess.
 
Jun 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #829 of 6,354

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
2,891
Likes
86
The way these are tuned, the higher price will probably equate the better sound. I don't think Dale could've accomplished this sound signature as successfully without adding drivers in. But again, they are each tuned for a different sound signature, meant for different applications of use. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if people that own AS-1's also get AS-2's and not by means of upgrade.
Quote:
I would definitely be interested in a comparison..
 
It really comes back to the concept of more drivers/higher price != better sound. It comes down to preference i guess.

 
Jun 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #830 of 6,354

FieldingMellish

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 13, 2012
Posts
910
Likes
45
The 15mm driver combined with dual balanced armatures really intrigues me. If the 15mm driver kicks butt alone, imagine the possibilities. 
smile.gif

 
Jun 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #831 of 6,354

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
2,891
Likes
86
I don't have to imagine, it's wonderful
Quote:
The 15mm driver combined with dual balanced armatures really intrigues me. If the 15mm driver kicks butt alone, imagine the possibilities. 
smile.gif

 
Jun 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #832 of 6,354

jrkong

Formerly known as ak47-whaaa
Member of the Trade: SPEAR Labs
Joined
Oct 7, 2010
Posts
1,566
Likes
47
Quote:
The 15mm driver combined with dual balanced armatures really intrigues me. If the 15mm driver kicks butt alone, imagine the possibilities. 
smile.gif

 



I imagine it will be a more refined AS-1 with better treble
 
Quote:
I don't have to imagine, it's wonderful

Yeah you got it so of course you don't have to imagine.
 
Jun 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #833 of 6,354

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
2,891
Likes
86
I don't feel it's really possible to imagine. I had no idea what this type of CIEM would sound like. I had always been interested in more basshead type items, and that's why i went for the AS-1b's originally. I never thought neutral would be something i'd want, but now i can't get enough. It's like having a well balanced sound system in a nice sized room.....then you amp it, and the soundstage gets wider.
Quote:
Yeah you got it so of course you don't have to imagine.

 
Jun 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #834 of 6,354

jrkong

Formerly known as ak47-whaaa
Member of the Trade: SPEAR Labs
Joined
Oct 7, 2010
Posts
1,566
Likes
47
Quote:
I don't feel it's really possible to imagine. I had no idea what this type of CIEM would sound like. I had always been interested in more basshead type items, and that's why i went for the AS-1b's originally. I never thought neutral would be something i'd want, but now i can't get enough. It's like having a well balanced sound system in a nice sized room.....then you amp it, and the soundstage gets wider.

Can't wait until I can try them that's for sure
 
Jun 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #835 of 6,354

cn11

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 5, 2003
Posts
4,879
Likes
553
Got a pair of ASG-1.2's in today from a sale on the classifieds. Spent some time experimenting with my range of universal tips on hand, and settled on the UE single flange silicones from the Tf10, and the large double flange from the IE8 (I think this one is best for my ears, and opens up treble some-- which they need). My first observation is that they're a touch on the dark side for sure. There's ok detail there, but it definitely required a notch up on the highest treble band with my X1060's EQ right away. That helps a lot though, along with the IE8 tips. The bass is very very good, coming close to the quantity of my MG6Pro customs, and being of perhaps even better quality. Seems a tad quicker.... Mids are good, perhaps bordering on too forward (as discussed here ad nauseam), but have nice tonality and seems natural in weight. Going back to my MG6Pro's I hear a little hint of echo or chesty sound to the mids. Soundstage is very good for a universal, but can't match the MG6Pro's in size or placement within. 
 
But the thing which completely shocked me from the get-go was the how awesome the fit works. I put them in the first time, and they just seemed to magically settle into the most ideal position. And now that I've found some ideal tips to use, the comfort is easily the best of any IEM of any type I've owned/used. That's some proof of concept I'd say. And it really makes me excited to pick up a pair of the ASG-2's when they're released (and when is that expected release date?...consensus please!).
 
I look forward to some evenings of kicking back and getting more familiar with them. So far, I'm impressed by some things, yet disappointed in a couple sonic aspects. 
 
Jun 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #836 of 6,354

FlySweep

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Posts
2,816
Likes
268
IME, the AS-2 is a better phone that the AS/ASG-1 series in terms of technical performance.  Sure, there are difference is sound signature.  Being familiar with the ASG-1, 1.2, & AS-2 prototype, there are similarities between the two phones in terms of tuning (which should make fans of the AS/G-1 happy), but in terms of technicalities.. I'd say the AS-2 has better texturing, detail, timbre, neutrality, and transparency than it's predecessor.
 
For example, if you could boost the ASG-1/1.2's treble to match that of the AS-2 in volume & presence, I still don't think it would achieve the AS-2's level of detail, texturing, clarity, and speed.  Also, I feel midrange and bass tuning is more articulate, too.  This is in no way a knock on the ASG-1/1.2.. more a compliment to what's accomplished in the AS-2.
 
Jun 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #839 of 6,354

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Posts
2,891
Likes
86
By far, my favorite has been the Pico Slim. Tried a few others, not as important though. Most amps give the same impression, just some introduce hiss because of the BA's and not providing a clean source. Pico Slim is my favorite, though looking into some others right now. PM me if you really want a more in depth list.
Quote:
@ Kenman: which amps have you tried with the asg2, and which do you find the best match?

 
Jun 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #840 of 6,354

pizza

Aka: ulogin.
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Posts
23
Likes
0
Nice review!
Quote:
Got a pair of ASG-1.2's in today from a sale on the classifieds. Spent some time experimenting with my range of universal tips on hand, and settled on the UE single flange silicones from the Tf10, and the large double flange from the IE8 (I think this one is best for my ears, and opens up treble some-- which they need). My first observation is that they're a touch on the dark side for sure. There's ok detail there, but it definitely required a notch up on the highest treble band with my X1060's EQ right away. That helps a lot though, along with the IE8 tips. The bass is very very good, coming close to the quantity of my MG6Pro customs, and being of perhaps even better quality. Seems a tad quicker.... Mids are good, perhaps bordering on too forward (as discussed here ad nauseam), but have nice tonality and seems natural in weight. Going back to my MG6Pro's I hear a little hint of echo or chesty sound to the mids. Soundstage is very good for a universal, but can't match the MG6Pro's in size or placement within. 
 
But the thing which completely shocked me from the get-go was the how awesome the fit works. I put them in the first time, and they just seemed to magically settle into the most ideal position. And now that I've found some ideal tips to use, the comfort is easily the best of any IEM of any type I've owned/used. That's some proof of concept I'd say. And it really makes me excited to pick up a pair of the ASG-2's when they're released (and when is that expected release date?...consensus please!).
 
I look forward to some evenings of kicking back and getting more familiar with them. So far, I'm impressed by some things, yet disappointed in a couple sonic aspects. 

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top