Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 16, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #11,056 of 11,472
Something I was thinking about. So we all know the saying that we usually hear at 80dB. Does this mean, when the computer volume is set at 80?
No, it has nothing to do with that. The computer volume is a digital attenuator of the input signal. That why, for example in Foobar, 100% means 0 dB (No attenuation) and 80% means 20 dB attenuation..
I'm curious because, I usually set the amplifier high and my computer volume low -- is this perhaps the wrong way to listen? I feel like I get better results turning the computer volume to ~80 and then turning the volume up on the amp. Is there any ratio aspect we should use when listening with the computer volume vs with the amp volume control? Thanks.
Your observation was right, is not a good idea to use the computer volume (ideally leave it at 100%) and use your amp volume instead. The reason is that as you start to reduce the digital volume, you start to loss quantization bits, the number of digital bits to represent the same input signal, which may result in a compression of the dynamic range , and when it get worse it may sound like a bad compressed mp3. You can test that easily (you noticed that already) by for example using some very low computer volumes.

Reducing the computer volume a few dB (> 90%) is not a problem (from 100%) and in some cases required when you apply digital filters like the typical equalizers because they could boost the signal over the 100% which result in clipping. In this case you reduce the digital volume to create some "headroom" to make sure everything remains under 100% regardless of any digital processing in the pipeline.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #11,058 of 11,472
Has anyone tried Abyss ab 1266 phi tc with Euforia? If so, with what results?
Probably not quite enough power; the Envy is a better pairing.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #11,059 of 11,472
Thanks for the recommendation, but I won't be getting Envy. I have Empyrean and Utopia headphones. Both scale well with Euforia. I heard the Abyss ab 1266 phi tc with the ss amp and was impressed. I was thinking about trading Empyreans for Abyss. I use TT2+M Scaler as DAC.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #11,060 of 11,472
WELCOME to all owners and followers of F-A's Elise Tube Amp who are now interested in moving up into even more lofty territory...with their new OTL amp, EUFORIA.

A warm welcome also to those perhaps new to the Feliks-Audio name...in addition to the very successful 'Elise', their previous budget-price 'Espressivo' is currently undergoing a resurgence in interest and gaining high praise in reviews. I shall be posting links to threads and other info that might prove interesting for background research later on, and at the end of this first post...which I shall keep updated as often as possible.

But now on to the new amp in question...and why the heading statement?! : basically, because from the outside this amp looks just like the Elise, and does in fact retain the same tube complement - 2x 6SN7 drivers and 2x 6AS7G/6080 powers. But after considering my request for possible upgrades to just my own amp, the project blossomed into something rather bigger, and in fact became what they had in mind for a next model!

They found that the alterations/upgrades engineered by the family firm's boss, Henryk Feliks, resulted in such a leap in performance - without having to incur MUCH higher cost with a totally new case, bigger transformer etc. - that it did indeed warrant a completely new name, rather than another Elise variant....hence EUFORIA was born!

So..."Wolf"?..."Sheep"?...perhaps the latter isn't strictly correct, because the Elise is FAR from being a sheep that merely follows others...it leads!! I use the word 'Sheep' advisedly, because going from Elise to Euforia hits you in such a way that is, at first, somewhat perplexing as you look at the 'clothing'...a Wolf does indeed jump out at you from under its cloak!

The first surprise is a dynamic presentation that certainly had me wondering how this could be from 'just' upgrading certain components and circuitry - a very naive initial thought, until I looked further into the extensive internal alterations...and could fully appreciate Mr Feliks's "work of art".

Then you notice the increased detail resolution, over and above the excellent handling by Elise. This is accompanied by impeccable control across the entire frequency range...instruments and voices are positioned in their own space, but remain nicely balanced within a coherent, expansive soundstage.

Another area that surprises is its consummate ability in the speed arena - this does take it to quite another level of performance...from initial note attack through to maintaining complete control of fast, complex runs at all frequencies...whether bass rolls or top hat histrionics!! Everything seems to be so effortless in this amp's capable hands. And turning up the volume pot brings greater delights still...delivery remains so smooth, right up to ear-shattering levels. Once again, its handling of dynamics leaves you confident that you can indeed go the occasional "extra mile" in the volume stakes without either the sound breaking up horribly, or your ears having to suffer from the amp's loss of exquisite control...very encouraging indeed, in my book lol!

These are just the more obvious qualities of this amp...there are more, but indigestion must be setting in for some! Further observations of my own, along with those of soon-to-be-owners will come later. These are also from 'just' the stock tubes...things begin to get even more exciting with higher grade tubes - especially those 'alternatives' that (as yet!) are not officially sanctioned by F-A, but which are proving to be suitable (and safe), from extensive trials by myself and senior members of the Elise threads.

From my own initial tube rolling in Euforia, it is already apparent that this amp matches Elise's supremacy in regard to flexibility in this area, and its 'neutral' signature will allow fine tuning to one's own personal tastes, afforded by the luxury of a very wide choice of tubes...especially the drivers.

All in all, I believe Feliks-Audio have once again raised the bar in the performance/price arena, and will appeal to those who yearn for a taste of "summit-fi" at what I personally consider a very reasonable price indeed...especially for a high quality, non-factory-production-line product made to order.

And so for now, a list of the main upgrades/alterations over Elise....further specs and info/ordering over at the Feliks-Audio website : http://feliksaudio.pl
Or email Lukasz (Feliks) direct : info@feliksaudio.pl

1. Pure silver wire for signal paths...teflon-tubed.
2. Mundorf and Nichicon capacitors.
3. Dale and Caddock resistors in new circuits.
4. High quality Teflon sockets with gold-plated pin receptors.
5. High quality gold-plated RCA connectors.
6. Improved noise reduction for power supply, RFI/EMI.
7. Upgraded PsVane 6SN7 drivers...(still the Russian 6N13S/6H13C powers).
8. Upgraded transformer.
9. Removal/reduction of spike at switch-off.

As with Elise, there is pre-amp out (with protective circuitry for Direct-coupled amps)

A few pictures to be going on with :

My prototype next to early Elise- the only actual size
increase being the transformer housing.. :

Some circuitry blurred for protection reasons!.. :

Price : $1399, but currently being offered at a 10% pre-order discount...

(Apparently some minor cosmetic changes being made to the exterior, so will hopefully have the up-to-date look soon).

Other useful associated links, if interested...(Elise info will give a good background to this new amp, plus recommended tubes and related subjects).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/813488/feliks-audio-elise-impressions-thread-a-new-start-please-read-first-post-for-summary (more information on Euforia in my most recent posts)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732875/feliks-audio-elise-previously-6sn7-6as7g-6080-prototype

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765460/feliks-audio-elise-tube-rolling-guide-6sn7-6as7g-6080-5998

My other gear : Oppo BDP103 as media player (Redbook & hi-res files); Custom made Malbru Tube DAC, based on ESS Sabre 9018 (ECC85/E88cc tube output; silver wire for signal line); pure silver interconnects; Beyer T1 (v1); PowerInspired Mains Regenerator; high quality insulated mains/unit power cables.
Edit. As of April/May 2017, media playback is via Naim Uniti Core (server/streamer/CD ripper/internal HDD or SSD/external media); Chord Hugo 2 DAC; Airlink Transformers Balanced Mains unit, with Avery Magnetics "Advanced Filter System".

Cheers for now....CJ
Interesting very informative!!

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #11,061 of 11,472
No, it has nothing to do with that. The computer volume is a digital attenuator of the input signal. That why, for example in Foobar, 100% means 0 dB (No attenuation) and 80% means 20 dB attenuation..

Your observation was right, is not a good idea to use the computer volume (ideally leave it at 100%) and use your amp volume instead. The reason is that as you start to reduce the digital volume, you start to loss quantization bits, the number of digital bits to represent the same input signal, which may result in a compression of the dynamic range , and when it get worse it may sound like a bad compressed mp3. You can test that easily (you noticed that already) by for example using some very low computer volumes.

Reducing the computer volume a few dB (> 90%) is not a problem (from 100%) and in some cases required when you apply digital filters like the typical equalizers because they could boost the signal over the 100% which result in clipping. In this case you reduce the digital volume to create some "headroom" to make sure everything remains under 100% regardless of any digital processing in the pipeline.
Well explained, @BrainSalat! I use HQ Player which allows small changes in digital attenuation. I set that at 0 to minus 6 with minus 3 as default to allow headroom as you state. There is an indicator if clipping occurs which signals me to reduce further. Also note for some DSD (SDM) music there is option of adding 6 dB gain automatically to compensate for the attenuation that can occur during their playback. For me, it's all a bit confusing but the HQ Player settings I use generally sound great with only rare clipping, and as usual "trust your ears".:ear:

Apr 18, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #11,062 of 11,472
Well explained, @BrainSalat! I use HQ Player which allows small changes in digital attenuation. I set that at 0 to minus 6 with minus 3 as default to allow headroom as you state. There is an indicator if clipping occurs which signals me to reduce further. Also note for some DSD (SDM) music there is option of adding 6 dB gain automatically to compensate for the attenuation that can occur during their playback. For me, it's all a bit confusing but the HQ Player settings I use generally sound great with only rare clipping, and as usual "trust your ears".:ear:

I use HQPlayer as well, but every time less since I have the Spring3 R2R DAC. DSD are typically recorded 6dB quieter to allow more headroom required for its Delta-Sigma modulator. That's why you have the option to add +6dB to match the same level than PCM content for convenience.

About the digital volume to be 100% I had some collateral issues with that in the past. When I got my Spring3 DAC (loan unit), its output was too high, so much that it limited the volume range on the Euforia to the first 3 marks (3 out of 20). That's also not desirable, some volume pot show uneven gain at low levels and they became more sensible. I normally like my volume at 12 o'clock for listening levels. Fortunately there was a version with preamp and no more issues with that.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #11,063 of 11,472
Can someone please remind me on the Euforia whether you can use the headphone and preamp outputs simultaneously, or the preamp is automatically turned off when plugin the headphone jack, or you should not do that?. I have got a new SS amp and I would like to have the flexibility to use the Euforia directly or as a preamp for the SS amp.

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #11,064 of 11,472
Can someone please remind me on the Euforia whether you can use the headphone and preamp outputs simultaneously, or the preamp is automatically turned off when plugin the headphone jack, or you should not do that?. I have got a new SS amp and I would like to have the flexibility to use the Euforia directly or as a preamp for the SS amp.
Both the preamp and headphone out are active outputs. Best though to unplug your headphones if using the preamp out so you don't maybe damage them.

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #11,065 of 11,472
Both the preamp and headphone out are active outputs. Best though to unplug your headphones if using the preamp out so you don't maybe damage them.
Thanks.... In which way would the headphone result damaged?

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #11,067 of 11,472
Well... you will probably have more volume to use with using it as a preamp than say using a headphone. In that case I would unplug a headphone.
My experience has been that you can use both at the same time but when you plug in the preamp output the volume may be lower on the preamp side.
Also, having the headphones plugged in and adjusting the volume higher for preamp use may make the volume too loud on the headphones.
Don’t know if playing the headphones much louder than suitable for listening can damage the headphones.

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #11,068 of 11,472
Thanks @mordy for the confirmation. With that tips I will make sure not to put my headphones under that stress situation. This is not for permanent usage but for performing some tests, so I could probably fix the volume in the Euforia for headphone listening and adjust the volume on SS amp to match levels.
I want to check how the Bliss sounds with the Euforia as preamp. With one setup I could almost test side-by-side 3 configurations: (Spring3+Euforia) and (Spring3+Bliss, Spring3+Euforia+Bliss).

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #11,070 of 11,472
In the past I did try using the Euforia together with a second preamp. Did not work out; too much of a good thing and didn’t sound good.
ok, then let's hope that in my case it doesn't result also in an "improveworsening" :sweat_smile: ...but I will have at least some fun while at it. I still need to wait for a connector cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back