Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 13, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #11,041 of 11,519
hello,

@mordy could probably answer the question best.
He has been in the tube business for a long time and can often give valuable tips.

For your second question.
I didn't like the stock tubes.
I have to say that when I got the Euforia I had the Lcd 2C and it was not ideal.
After 2 months I changed the stocktubes to 6SN7 Linlai Elite and 6080 Mullard, then the Lcd 2C had a better grip.
It was less flat and had a better bass range.
The stocktubes masked a lot among other things.
With the Denon D2000 and Fostex th xoo it was a little better.

I then sold the Psvane and made someone else happy with it.
I kept the Svetlana in case I needed to record something, so I could save the good tubes.

I'll tell you frankly, you don't know the strengths of the Euforia yet, no matter if it's the OG, Anniversery or Evo. Even the Elise is actually a beast if you equip it properly and with good tubes.
Cables make a bit of a difference,power and rca cables mainly,the dac I didn't want to believe it myself makes a lot of difference.
And then it depends on which headphones you use, not all pairings with the Euforia are good or satisfactory.
What works very well are Hd800,Zmf no matter which,some planar headphones,Utopia,various Beyerdynamic.
Mainly headphones from 300 ohm you experience the Euforia quite differently.

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #11,042 of 11,519
hello,

@mordy could probably answer the question best.
He has been in the tube business for a long time and can often give valuable tips.

For your second question.
I didn't like the stock tubes.
I have to say that when I got the Euforia I had the Lcd 2C and it was not ideal.
After 2 months I changed the stocktubes to 6SN7 Linlai Elite and 6080 Mullard, then the Lcd 2C had a better grip.
It was less flat and had a better bass range.
The stocktubes masked a lot among other things.
With the Denon D2000 and Fostex th xoo it was a little better.

I then sold the Psvane and made someone else happy with it.
I kept the Svetlana in case I needed to record something, so I could save the good tubes.

I'll tell you frankly, you don't know the strengths of the Euforia yet, no matter if it's the OG, Anniversery or Evo. Even the Elise is actually a beast if you equip it properly and with good tubes.
Cables make a bit of a difference,power and rca cables mainly,the dac I didn't want to believe it myself makes a lot of difference.
And then it depends on which headphones you use, not all pairings with the Euforia are good or satisfactory.
What works very well are Hd800,Zmf no matter which,some planar headphones,Utopia,various Beyerdynamic.
Mainly headphones from 300 ohm you experience the Euforia quite differently.
https://linlaiglobal.com/index.php/product/linlai-global-elite-e-6sn7-vacuum-tubes-pair-or-single/ I have seen this before, but they say its performance is almost the same as psvane cv181 t mk2. I visited several sites where they listed the best 6sn7 tubes. the first place was sylvanas, well, I looked at the price of 1000 euros in pairs... and tungsol was also on the list, well, I didn't look at the price of that one.

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #11,043 of 11,519
Hello,

I would say the opposite.
The Linlai are warmer, are a little better in the midrange and have a nice low end at the top. the bass is also a little firmer compared to the Ps vane.
It is much more neutral and has less of what was described above.

The Linlai surprised me again and again with various output tubes, even after my Euforia was rebuilt.

You can buy Nos tubes for 1000€ - that's personal discretion.
However, this is exaggerated and a bit extortionate when you consider that such tubes cost 5-10$ at their peak.

There were plenty of branded tubes made by Sylvania Rca etc. that were re-labelled.
Today they are cheaper if you know the technical aspects.

The Euforia is so versatile that you could go to 6v6 with adapters and buy a Sylvania Vt at a much lower price.
And the properties of the 6v6 are a bit better than the 6SN7, especially in instrument reproduction.
Just as an example.

Output tubes that are really worth it if you can find a decent pair would be 7236 tung sol or 5998 tungsol or other manufacturers that made them.
As 6080's Mullard are very good, General Electric if you want it more analogue.
Thomsen is also very good and has a bit more bass bite than Mullard.

Apr 14, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #11,044 of 11,519
https://linlaiglobal.com/index.php/product/linlai-global-elite-e-6sn7-vacuum-tubes-pair-or-single/ I have seen this before, but they say its performance is almost the same as psvane cv181 t mk2. I visited several sites where they listed the best 6sn7 tubes. the first place was sylvanas, well, I looked at the price of 1000 euros in pairs... and tungsol was also on the list, well, I didn't look at the price of that one.
There is no correlation between the price of tubes and how they sound. The manufacturer must rely on tubes that are readily available in quantity for production of amplifiers and this usually means current production tubes.
You, as an amplifier owner, only need a couple of tubes and can thus choose from a huge range of tubes from many different manufacturers and production years. By using various adapters your choices expand even more.
It is possible to get top quality sound for very low prices if you become familiar with twhat is available.
The Elise and the Euforia use the same type of tubes. By reading the hundreds of posts from the past you can get a good idea of which tube combinations sounded the best to different people.
Here is an example (my current drivers):
A pair of 6N7 tubes using 6SN7 to ECC31 adapters. If you buy carefully the two tubes + pair of adapters should cost very little compared to popular tubes.
The same adapters can be used for 6J5 family tubes. These tubes are 1/2 of a 6SN7 and the way the Feliks amps are wired they will work fine. Many of the 6J5 or 6J5GT tubes are inexpensive and sound as good (or better) than the 6SN7 tubes, regardless of price.

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #11,045 of 11,519
I am new to this tube rolling game and very overwhelmed by the amount of tube combinations.
I recently purchased the euphoria AE and using the holo audio may dac along side the zmf verite
and atrium headphones .
just wondering if you guys could save me scrolling through 700 pages I'm so confused so if anyone
could recommend a good upgrade for the driver tubes and the power tubes that would be appreciated
a combination that would be a significant upgrade from the pc vane tubes that come stock with the AE.
preferable with no adapters .
thank you very much guys .

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #11,046 of 11,519
Hello and welcome to the Euforia club,

How high can the budget be?
Since there are really many possibilities.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for the Atrium and Verote.
I only have the Auteur and I'm still getting the Atrium.

Basically as a 6SN7 you don't go wrong with 5692 but expensive.
Melz if you can find some.
Rft are very good if you like it neutral.
Brimar gty you also have to be lucky to find some.
Common are Sylvania Vt107 and still moderate to find.
Linlai Elite I will put in the room if you want it warmer and slightly thicker with great resolution.

As 6080,7236,5998

Are the last 2 quite difficult to find if so they are expensive as they become rarer.
As 6080 Mullard are very good but also well priced,General Electric are quite analogue but worth it.
Csf thomsen go towards Mullard are slightly opposite of Mullard,a little more bass but not as resolving but also good.

Rare 6080 like Bendix you pay a lot for but also worthwhile as you read.

You have to be patient if you want to find a bargain, and keep looking for them.
For my 5998 it took me a good 1 year to find some that fit the price and condition.
It was the same with the 7236 tube.

You should be careful on Ebay, tubes from Italy are very overpriced, some could also be used in general.
Often measured values differ somewhat, so make sure they are close to each other.
Don't buy anything that doesn't have any readings.
They could already be at the end.

In general, you can also say that there are tubes where the price is exaggerated, so it is worth waiting for a fair offer.

The adapter thing is/can be worthwhile.
You should try it later when you are more familiar with the subject.
There are some tubes that are worthwhile and cheaper than what the Euforia offers in the standard version.

You will find good tips if you read through the Threath roughly.
Be it tubes, adapters, etc....

I hope I was able to help a little and good luck.

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #11,047 of 11,519
I sold all my 5998 after selling Euforia AE, but still have a set of 7236 available. Also concur with 6080 as another good choice. I’ve seen some Mullard 6080 available recently.

Good driver choices have been suggested, but there are so many great choices, and you really should do your homework and read the threads.

Confine your reading to the last 200 pages for more current trends, if you lack the time to properly read this and the 6SN7 threads in their entireties.

There is no need to fear adapters, which opens up myriad opportunities. Adapters with external heater current power supplies are more intimidating, and you don’t need to go there early, or ever for most people.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #11,049 of 11,519
Hello,

that's 6sn7 to 6sn7 you don't need that.
If you do, use Socketsaver 8 pin if you think it's better.

With adapter conversion I would turn to @Deyan who does exactly what you need if it is feasible.

You can forget about socket savers from China, they're no good, they tend to cause problems and don't hold properly in the socket.
The same could be the case with the adapters.

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #11,050 of 11,519
Hi all, was wondering if this tube was OK to purchase? It looks metal but it says 6N7 and I plan to buy the adapters for 6N7 -- just wanted to confirm this is the one?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/201134198992, does gold plated make a difference?

Yes that is the correct adapter for 6N7->6SN7
The China adapters are just fine. Fit well and work perfectly. You'll need 2 of them for the Felix...adapts 6N7 (ECC31) to a 6SN7 socket.

The 6N7's sound great in the Euphoria....you'll like :wink:

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #11,051 of 11,519
Something I was thinking about. So we all know the saying that we usually hear at 80dB. Does this mean, when the computer volume is set at 80? I'm curious because, I usually set the amplifier high and my computer volume low -- is this perhaps the wrong way to listen? I feel like I get better results turning the computer volume to ~80 and then turning the volume up on the amp. Is there any ratio aspect we should use when listening with the computer volume vs with the amp volume control? Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #11,052 of 11,519
Something I was thinking about. So we all know the saying that we usually hear at 80dB. Does this mean, when the computer volume is set at 80? I'm curious because, I usually set the amplifier high and my computer volume low -- is this perhaps the wrong way to listen? I feel like I get better results turning the computer volume to ~80 and then turning the volume up on the amp. Is there any ratio aspect we should use when listening with the computer volume vs with the amp volume control? Thanks.
It depends on how you have connected everything.
Especially the Dac, I assume it is connected to the PC via USB.

If your dac is prone to clipping, then reducing the volume of the pc is a good remedy, even if it is at the expense of dynamic range.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #11,053 of 11,519
Just let your ears judge which is the best combination of sound and no background noise.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #11,054 of 11,519
Hello and welcome to the Euforia club,

How high can the budget be?
Since there are really many possibilities.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for the Atrium and Verote.
I only have the Auteur and I'm still getting the Atrium.

Basically as a 6SN7 you don't go wrong with 5692 but expensive.
Melz if you can find some.
Rft are very good if you like it neutral.
Brimar gty you also have to be lucky to find some.
Common are Sylvania Vt107 and still moderate to find.
Linlai Elite I will put in the room if you want it warmer and slightly thicker with great resolution.

As 6080,7236,5998

Are the last 2 quite difficult to find if so they are expensive as they become rarer.
As 6080 Mullard are very good but also well priced,General Electric are quite analogue but worth it.
Csf thomsen go towards Mullard are slightly opposite of Mullard,a little more bass but not as resolving but also good.

Rare 6080 like Bendix you pay a lot for but also worthwhile as you read.

You have to be patient if you want to find a bargain, and keep looking for them.
For my 5998 it took me a good 1 year to find some that fit the price and condition.
It was the same with the 7236 tube.

You should be careful on Ebay, tubes from Italy are very overpriced, some could also be used in general.
Often measured values differ somewhat, so make sure they are close to each other.
Don't buy anything that doesn't have any readings.
They could already be at the end.

In general, you can also say that there are tubes where the price is exaggerated, so it is worth waiting for a fair offer.

The adapter thing is/can be worthwhile.
You should try it later when you are more familiar with the subject.
There are some tubes that are worthwhile and cheaper than what the Euforia offers in the standard version.

You will find good tips if you read through the Threath roughly.
Be it tubes, adapters, etc....

I hope I was able to help a little and good luck.
my oh my
thank you for the great insightful reply .

I have read through your options and they have been very helpful I will try out adapters maybe in the future
but for now il just stick with the basics I think , there are so many variations and choices its overwhelming to say the least.
I think I will start out with the liniai elite and maybe the Mullard 6080 do you think this would be a good place to start ?

I would rather buy nos tubes from a reputable manufacturer because I really do not understand measurements and such like
I will start looking for some 5998 or 7236 but for now il get the mallards cos little bit easier to come by .
once again thank you so much for your help .

regards

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #11,055 of 11,519
my oh my
thank you for the great insightful reply .

I have read through your options and they have been very helpful I will try out adapters maybe in the future
but for now il just stick with the basics I think , there are so many variations and choices its overwhelming to say the least.
I think I will start out with the liniai elite and maybe the Mullard 6080 do you think this would be a good place to start ?

I would rather buy nos tubes from a reputable manufacturer because I really do not understand measurements and such like
I will start looking for some 5998 or 7236 but for now il get the mallards cos little bit easier to come by .
once again thank you so much for your help .

regards
Yes, I think linlai with Mullard will work very well with the Zmf headphones and yes there are many other possibilities.
The more you have the more you will want to try 😁.

I just remembered, since you are in London, check out Langerex and Billgton tubes on their homepage.
They have good Nos tubes there and it will help you keep the costs down as they both have their sizu in England.
I have bought from both and the quality was very good.

The Linlai's you will probably have to import either through Linlai directly or through the Canadian distributor.
Germany is supposedly licensed for this as well.

https://btb-elektronik.de/en/product/5454/e-6sn7-linlai-e-series-tube-global-elite-flagship-e6sn7gt/

I understand about the adapters, I took my time and read the thread a bit before I tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back