Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #10,981 of 11,472
Also, please let me know whether this solved your issue, thank!
Quite an interesting thing happened, but I managed to update the device in the end. I deleted the driver of the other dac in vain and restarted the PC, then restarted again after installing the ifi driver. it didn't recognize pc zen one signature again. then it was plugged from USB 2.0 to 3.0 on the main board, and it recognized it immediately. this is interesting because I use a supra blue USB cable, which is basically a USB 2.0 standard.. and the other thing is that the other device worked perfectly with that USB 2.0 USB socket.. never mind. i updated the xmos and BT firmware on the zen one dac. I don't know what corrections it contains, but I think they were not made by accident. the USB output of the ifi zen stream also saw the zen one despite now, I hope it will stay that way..

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #10,982 of 11,472
Quite an interesting thing happened, but I managed to update the device in the end. I deleted the driver of the other dac in vain and restarted the PC, then restarted again after installing the ifi driver. it didn't recognize pc zen one signature again. then it was plugged from USB 2.0 to 3.0 on the main board, and it recognized it immediately. this is interesting because I use a supra blue USB cable, which is basically a USB 2.0 standard.. and the other thing is that the other device worked perfectly with that USB 2.0 USB socket.. never mind. i updated the xmos and BT firmware on the zen one dac. I don't know what corrections it contains, but I think they were not made by accident. the USB output of the ifi zen stream also saw the zen one despite now, I hope it will stay that way..
I'm glad it worked out.
The Ify driver is a bit of a nanny if I may say so.🤗
But when everything is gone, it works.

I also use the supra yusb cable.
It replaced my silver Inaukustik usb cable which cost 50-60€.
I have to say that the Supra is ingenious and the price/performance ratio is just right.
It has somehow made certain areas softer and more contrasty.
Even after the test, I went back to the Supra.
It also works very well in combination with the Euforia, I think it adds a bit of warmth where I think the Euforia needs it.

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #10,983 of 11,472
The Ify driver is a bit of a nanny if I may say so.🤗

Yes, you can :sunglasses:

That's good to hear, thanks for the update!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 23, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #10,984 of 11,472
I have been looking at getting the Euforia to go with my ZMF Verite Opens. Asking if it would be worthwhile to get the latest EVO version or save a few bucks and get an older version. If I went this route, could use the savings to purchase upgraded tubes.

I currently have an Auris Euterpe which is good but looking for a different flavor.

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #10,987 of 11,472
By the way, when/why did the assumption spread that OTL is only for high-impedance headphones? My Euforia EVO device can play at deafening volume if I want to, with a pair of Kennerton Rognir Planar headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #10,988 of 11,472
By the way, when/why did the assumption spread that OTL is only for high-impedance headphones? My Euforia EVO device can play at deafening volume if I want to, with a pair of Kennerton Rognir Planar headphones.

Because high impedance dynamics have the best synergy between amp and driver of the headphone. Frequency response is not screwed and low-end doesn't get muddy.

The Aeolus is a lovely combination with the AE. Big expansive staging and added decay to the driver. Wonderful.
PXL_20230226_114304204.MP.jpg

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #10,989 of 11,472
Because high impedance dynamics have the best synergy between amp and driver of the headphone. Frequency response is not screwed and low-end doesn't get muddy.

The Aeolus is a lovely combination with the AE. Big expansive staging and added decay to the driver. Wonderful.
I would be interested in these stereotypes.. The frequency range is not shifted at all and the depth of the Kennerton rognir is not muddy. I also have a violactric dha v590 mk2 device, and the low range is a little better, but it is worse than Euforia in everything else. I attribute this to the properties of tubes vs transistors.. Or the fact that Violectric devices are known to hit, they are very dynamic. But it doesn't go deeper into the sub range than Euforia Evo...

I think this stereotype goes back a long time, when transistor amplifiers were still so weak that only the tube amplifiers of that time could drive high-impedance headphones. But this is completely incomprehensible by 2023.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #10,990 of 11,472
I would be interested in these stereotypes.. The frequency range is not shifted at all and the depth of the Kennerton rognir is not muddy. I also have a violactric dha v590 mk2 device, and the low range is a little better, but it is worse than Euforia in everything else. I attribute this to the properties of tubes vs transistors..
When I tried the Audeze LCD2C with Euphoria the low-end was really blurred, wrong sounding for me. Using a Cayin iHA-6 solid state was a better match for that headphone. That was just a loaner impression. When I receive my ZMF Caldera I will try again.

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #10,991 of 11,472
I would be interested in these stereotypes.. The frequency range is not shifted at all and the depth of the Kennerton rognir is not muddy. I also have a violactric dha v590 mk2 device, and the low range is a little better, but it is worse than Euforia in everything else. I attribute this to the properties of tubes vs transistors.. Or the fact that Violectric devices are known to hit, they are very dynamic. But it doesn't go deeper into the sub range than Euforia Evo...

I think this stereotype goes back a long time, when transistor amplifiers were still so weak that only the tube amplifiers of that time could drive high-impedance headphones. But this is completely incomprehensible by 2023.

It is not about time. It's all about mismatch impedance (between output or your amp and impedance your headphone has) and voltage/ampere needs from your headphone and how your amp supply them.

If you like the pairing of course nothing wrong with it. It's just high impedance output from OTL will alter the frequency response of your low impedance headphone. Whether you like the "alter" or not, really subjective preference.

Most of the time, Dynamic driver got even more significant alter in sound due to variable impedance. While planar with flat / almost flat impedance take much less effect.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #10,992 of 11,472
It is not about time. It's all about mismatch impedance (between output or your amp and impedance your headphone has) and voltage/ampere needs from your headphone and how your amp supply them.

If you like the pairing of course nothing wrong with it. It's just high impedance output from OTL will alter the frequency response of your low impedance headphone. Whether you like the "alter" or not, really subjective preference.

Most of the time, Dynamic driver got even more significant alter in sound due to variable impedance. While planar with flat / almost flat impedance take much less effect.
I wrote above that the Euforia Evo doesn't do it, but it is newer and better than the older Euforia models, so this could probably be the reason. The output impedance of the Evo is only 65 ohms. and I use it via xlr.

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #10,993 of 11,472

Something else occurred to me. when the Focal utopia was released, it was demoed with a euphoria amplifier. you think the Focal people would be so stupid to debut an amplifier that shifts the frequency and results in a slow, undynamic bass, but no... 80 ohms is the utopia. I would like to note one more thing: in reality, hi-fi devices behave differently than what is described in the ledger .. cables also sound differently, but they cannot be measured .. hi-fi is like that, not black and white.

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #10,994 of 11,472
I corresponded with Lukasz on this question and regarding Euforia AE, he noted that sensitivity is more important then impdance. My Audeze MM-500 are low impedance but sensitivity is 100 dB and perform wonderfully with AE. Rognir is also 100 dB sensitivity.

BTW on Feliks web page impedance is listed as 100k ohm... is that for RCA out? Where did you get the figure of 65 ohm for RVO.

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #10,995 of 11,472
I have recently installed quad KT88 on my Euforia AE. I am hearing a hum that I never heard before using my ZMF Vérité Closed. Is this normal or is there a ”trick” I’m missing.
It has nothing to do with my chain since the hum is there even when not connected to anything. The tubes have been burned in for at least 100 hours.

Any tips?
I get the same thing, Deyan assured me the adapters aren’t the problem. I just find they don’t work well in the driver position, and take like 45-60 minutes to settle before the hum mostly goes away

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back