Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #9,496 of 11,472
It's not a simple process of changing an OTL amp like Euforia to use KT88. It's practically a redesign of the amp schematics. You don't see KT88 being design for an OTL amp. It's always as a transformer coupled amp.

When I had Euforia, I had already brooch the idea with Lukasz, to run with EL3N, EL11 and EL12 spez then but the response was similar to what you get.

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #9,497 of 11,472
Yoram, Lukasz and a few members had considered in the past sending in their units to be altered or upgraded, but the cost and time spent, was not worth the result. That was to be a possible upgrade years ago for Elise, when the Euforia came out. To send in your unit and have it upgraded to better status. But the transformer could not be upgraded so it made no sense. That and the expense incurred for shipping both ways and still not having the results of a new amp. There are a few KT88 amps out there, but personally, after much use of the KT family, I don't think it is a path worth following. Was not planning on upgrading to the AE model, but waiting for the McIntosh to be ready was an uncertainty. Very glad I did buy the AE amp. It is superior to the previous Feliks amps and am very satisfied with it. I compare it to buying a new car. The new one cost a lot more, and they both get you from here to there, but it is how you get there and the satisfaction of the ride. Not to mention, all things wear out. I was waiting for their new 2A3 amp, fantastic looking amp, totally new everywhere, but they opted to change to a 300B amp. Willing to see this and give it a listen when it comes out. If a substantial upgrade, it will join my AE,

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #9,498 of 11,472
Yoram, Lukasz and a few members had considered in the past sending in their units to be altered or upgraded, but the cost and time spent, was not worth the result. That was to be a possible upgrade years ago for Elise, when the Euforia came out. To send in your unit and have it upgraded to better status. But the transformer could not be upgraded so it made no sense. That and the expense incurred for shipping both ways and still not having the results of a new amp. There are a few KT88 amps out there, but personally, after much use of the KT family, I don't think it is a path worth following. Was not planning on upgrading to the AE model, but waiting for the McIntosh to be ready was an uncertainty. Very glad I did buy the AE amp. It is superior to the previous Feliks amps and am very satisfied with it. I compare it to buying a new car. The new one cost a lot more, and they both get you from here to there, but it is how you get there and the satisfaction of the ride. Not to mention, all things wear out. I was waiting for their new 2A3 amp, fantastic looking amp, totally new everywhere, but they opted to change to a 300B amp. Willing to see this and give it a listen when it comes out. If a substantial upgrade, it will join my AE,
"Famtastic Looking amp" - did you see actual pictures of the prototypes?

If so would you be willing to share pictures (maybe via pm)?

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #9,499 of 11,472
I do have the photos, but I have asked Lukasz this morning if it would be alright to release them. I am doubtful, as perhaps they will continue this at some future time. I certainly hope so.

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #9,500 of 11,472
I do have the photos, but I have asked Lukasz this morning if it would be alright to release them. I am doubtful, as perhaps they will continue this at some future time. I certainly hope so.
I completely understand.

I wonder how long the response will take.
Usually I received responses within 48h, the question about pricing is unanswered for 5 days now.

Do you know about any summer vacation maybe?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #9,501 of 11,472
None that I'm aware of. But it is a small company with many facets that have to be attended to and they still have their own personal lives to attend to as well. I have dealt with far larger companies with hundreds of employees that would still take three or four days to get a reply back from them even though their customer service is supposedly fully staffed.

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #9,502 of 11,472
Of course the other obvious answer would be it would take time to lay out a new amplifier with all the parts having to be sourced and the possibility of using that as a basis for a future amplifier for sale to the General Public. But to take time out to rebuild an amplifier that would handle a different circuitry and price all the parts and the labor and sourcing out takes time especially considering that there are so many other things that he has on his plate

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #9,503 of 11,472
Yeah not conplaining at all.
Just noticed the increase in response time, even though my other questions have been quite technical as well.

When we last spoke it also sounded like they knew already what to do, since they did it in previous Design trials. Maybe they have to look up their old Design documents.

Luckily I am in no hurry whatsoever, selling my current amp might take a while anyways.

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #9,504 of 11,472
A 300b amp done right is an amp you will not want to give up. If you love tube amps, you will want one in your collection. The tone is one of coziness. Not a special formula for everyone but I know a lot love it.

Having gone through different tube amps of varying tube types, my preference is for the bigger tube types, whether indirect or direct heating. My Wa22 lies unattended and I have most of the good 6as7 / 6080. A one year stint with Studio Six was an interesting eye or ear opener to the sound of bigger tubes in the 6V6. It wasn't until I had an Elekit TU-8200 that I realized I much prefer the bigger tube types of KT88 / EL34, especially the latter. Then I got the 300b amp and subsequently an amp custom for EL11 and EL12 spez.

Guess I'm one of those that just prefer the euphony of tube amps tone because I did try to love solid state amps at the beginning of the year. I went through 4 or 5 ss amps and in the end sold them all. Enjoy your tube amps and your discovery of it. :)

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #9,505 of 11,472
I should kept the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP. The HP stands for headphone provision as well. This amp pumps out 80 watts in UL mode. 8 x KT88 is a sight to behold and I was going for KT150s before I sold it. HD800 out of this amp is astonishing. I have no doubt it will drive Susvara very well.

20170925_211016.jpg

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #9,506 of 11,472
I think the Euforia will still be built a bit and then something new will come that will be more efficient and probably also go to another tube family in the development where the selection will be more common.
Maybe something with 6SN7 or El34 300b,Kt tubes.
Something like that will happen spontaneously, what is currently in demand and wanted and of course what can be procured from the tube market.
Maybe we will fall back on Euforia parts.
That would be the most sensible thing to do.

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #9,507 of 11,472
Thanks for your kind words LW...us 'old timers' have tried to pass on as much assistance as possible these past years, and glad so many have appreciated the time and effort (not to mention money!) that's gone into it lol :wink:

And wowee LW, looks like you yourself certainly caught the experimentitis bug...sounds like yet another great 'unconventional' combo that these amps can accommodate...WELL DONE! :) Anything else you've got your eye on? But please do be careful mon ami!!...CHEERS...CJ

ps. While on this (controversial) subject of non configured-for tubes, and for recent newcomers interested, may I repeat a few words of caution when taking the plunge : viz

1. Before switch on, ALWAYS have the volume at 0 and headphones unplugged when first inserting the tube(s). This actually goes for ALL tubes, although I myself risked keeping the cans plugged in with tubes that prove OK (to save the hp socket, rather than introducing yet another extending connection in the signal line - I hate connectors and dispense with them wherever/whenever I can!).

2. Look very closely at the tube(s) after switch on for any sign whatsoever of flashing/arcing, reddening of the anode plate. If present, remove the tube IMMEDIATELY (protecting your hand!) and either consign to the bin or return for refund as faulty if recently purchased.

3. After plugging in the cans, turn up the volume very slowly...assuming there's already no hint of distortion of any kind. Sometimes a slight hum might be heard -especially with new tubes, but should gradually disappear after a while. If it continues, it's probaly either faulty (if known to be OK normally) or might indicate a poor wire connection inside its pin. Again, if recently purchased, return for refund or if confident/able, try to resolder the pins to possibly eliminate this cause. Other distortion noise might also be caused by this fault...

Obviously, these are all things to keep an eye/ear on for ever more lol! :wink: Not to mention a base becoming loose...and if so, glue it straight away with superglue. My preference is Gorilla glue (gel, or a 2 part epoxy, if the gap is large). Then...HAPPY and SAFE listening!

pps. A #4 must surely be to always keep those tube pins as spotless/corrosion-free as possible. If the coating is thick, it may need something like the edge of a sharp knife to scrape down. But I myself always finished off with fine emery paper, for a nice smooth finish...makes for easier insertion in the socket and better metal-to-metal contact.
@Hypnos you are a treasure trove of wisdom. Keeping HP's unplugged when trying a new tube is a must, and so are clean tube pins. I use a knife edge to scrape gently then apply deoxit, May have to try fine emery paper as well! :beyersmile:

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #9,508 of 11,472
@hypnos1
Oh okay that doesn't sound good.
Let's not do that then, thanks for the info.

@Aquileolus
I've read that the Elise plays a little warmer than the Euforia and that the power is a little less with the Elise than with the Euforia.
If you have two good headphones, the Euforia would be better.
But in any case, test your Hifiman extensively on the Euforia.
Because the Euforia has its limits there too.
It only supports planar headphones to a limited extent.
With the Lcd 2c, I initially struggled with the bass, which was simply too little.
But by changing the tubes I got it under control (Linlais 6SN7 +6080 Mullard or Sylvania).
After that, there was more punch in the bass range and the mids and trebles increased a bit and it became more musical than with the Ps Vane tubes.
That is the small disadvantage of both amplifiers, they are both designed more for dynamic headphones.
The Dan Clark Aeon, for example, is useless with the Euforia.
It plays quietly quite well but as soon as you turn it up it's over.
Therefore, my tip is to test your Hifiman long enough.

I am personally of the opinion that the Ps Vane tubes are too neutral and linear for planar headphones.
Since planar headphones generally have a better resolution, this is my theory.
So it's up to you whether you buy the house tubes when you buy Elise/Euforia.
I advise against it and recommend spending the money on the Linlai tubes directly, even if they cost a little more.
The 6080 Mullards are a little harder to find but the Sylvania are sufficient and cheaper.
The difference is that the Mullards play a little smoother and deeper than the Sylvania.
But the difference is more noticeable when listening closely.
Thank you so much for the in depth answer! I'll probably use VC more on the tube amp, I have another SS amp for the planar

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #9,509 of 11,472
A 300b amp done right is an amp you will not want to give up. If you love tube amps, you will want one in your collection. The tone is one of coziness. Not a special formula for everyone but I know a lot love it.
I concur, although what I have is a preamp with 300B, but it already brings a very positive change in my system. That euphonic midrange is just unbelievable. Really look forward to Feliks’ new 300B amp.

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #9,510 of 11,472
@Hypnos you are a treasure trove of wisdom. Keeping HP's unplugged when trying a new tube is a must, and so are clean tube pins. I use a knife edge to scrape gently then apply deoxit, May have to try fine emery paper as well! :beyersmile:
I use a different method to test any new setup or tube change. Instead of waiting to plug in my expensive headphones I use a pair of cheap headphones to test if there are noises and or pops - anything will do - even an airplane giveaway set.
Turn on amp.
Wait to see that everything lights up.
Plug in sacrificial headphones and leave them on/listen a couple of minutes.
If everything is OK, time to switch and plug in your favorite headphones.
A blown headphone driver is a good motivation to spend a little time on this procedure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back