Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Aug 6, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #9,481 of 11,460
Wow thanks so much, that’s exactly what I’m after! and cheers for including the roles of the pins, this will give me chance to ponder how it works and check my adapters. Very brave of you to go all in!

So I gather the kt family are tried and tested for many many hours? It’s not going to do any damage to my amp right? Just wondering what FA are worried about.

Hi H.

Yes...I and a good few others have used the KT etc family quite extensively (in both Euforia and Elise), with no sign of ill effects to the amp. On the contrary, with the amps thereby also running much cooler than with stock configuration, I personally feel that can only benefit the longevity of these amps lol :beyersmile:.

And FA, as with all amp makers, are obliged to warrant only the tubes originally configured for. It just turns out that by some minor miracle, their circuits have proved able to (safely, as we have discovered) accommodate many other tubes also (with adapters)...viz the C3g; FDD 20 (with external heater supply); ECC31/6N7; NR73; EL3N; EL11/12/32/38/39 and lastly the GU50 (again with external heater supply)....amazing!!

As mentioned by @ThanatosVI , always check that the total tube heater draw doesn't exceed 6.5A by very much, with such figures as :

6N13S/6AS7G.....2.5A
KT66.......................1.25A
KT77.......................1.4A
KT88.......................1.6A
6SN7......................0.6A

HAPPY LISTENING!

I am interested in this as well as a new owner of the FA Euforia.
To use the KT88 as a quad do I just need an adapter like this: Adapter, and some KT88 tubes to roll in?

I would not want to shorten the life span of this amp by overdoing it.
Hi G.

Yes indeed...either those adapters from xulingmrs, or those from member Deyan, in Bulgaria. The latter are more expensive, black and use wire instead of PCBs. On the whole, folks have been happy with either. Don't know how shipping times differ however...especially to the USA. And a good few folks have used 4x KTs (and more, with external heater supply!) with no untoward effects.

Good hunting and happy listening to you also....CJ

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #9,482 of 11,460
It shouldn't do any damage.
They didn't test it themselves and don't give warranty for it.

You only have to pay attention to not draw more than 6.5A in total.
Even with 4x KT88 you do not exceed that, but 2x KT88 + 2x 6080 would be too much.
Or 4x KT150 would also be too much.

I actually inquired a quote for an custom Elise or Euforia that comes with KT88 Support instead of the 6N13S. Wonder how much that would cost.

Hi T. I suspect one would have to wait for the possible proposed new amp based on the KT88 as powers, as mentioned recently....CJ

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #9,484 of 11,460
Hi T. I suspect one would have to wait for the possible proposed new amp based on the KT88 as powers, as mentioned recently....CJ
There is no amp in development that runs KT88 natively.

What I inquired Was a modified Elise/Euforia that can do such a thing. (Right from the manufacturer with warranty)
It would take 3 months from point of order.
I'm currently still waiting on the quote for pricing

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #9,485 of 11,460

What I inquired Was a modified Elise/Euforia that can do such a thing. (Right from the manufacturer with warranty)
Oh, if I had known that, I would have had it done.
Mine only came back from the repair.
Then maybe at the next one.
An adapted Euforia with KT tubes and warranty sounds good.
It would be cool if you could also have it converted for an extra charge.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #9,486 of 11,460
Oh, if I had known that, I would have had it done.
Mine only came back from the repair.
Then maybe at the next one.
An adapted Euforia with KT tubes and warranty sounds good.
It would be cool if you could also have it converted for an extra charge.
Well I encourage you to ask them via email.

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #9,487 of 11,460

Please let us know what you learn!!!

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #9,488 of 11,460
Hi H.

Yes...I and a good few others have used the KT etc family quite extensively (in both Euforia and Elise), with no sign of ill effects to the amp. On the contrary, with the amps thereby also running much cooler than with stock configuration, I personally feel that can only benefit the longevity of these amps lol :beyersmile:.

And FA, as with all amp makers, are obliged to warrant only the tubes originally configured for. It just turns out that by some minor miracle, their circuits have proved able to (safely, as we have discovered) accommodate many other tubes also (with adapters)...viz the C3g; FDD 20 (with external heater supply); ECC31/6N7; EL3N; EL11/12/32/38/39 and lastly the GU50 (again with external heater supply)....amazing!!

As mentioned by @ThanatosVI , always check that the total tube heater draw doesn't exceed 6.5A by very much, with such figures as :

6N13S/6AS7G.....2.5A
KT66.......................1.25A
KT77.......................1.4A
KT88.......................1.6A
6SN7......................0.6A

HAPPY LISTENING!

Hi G.

Yes indeed...either those adapters from xulingmrs, or those from member Deyan, in Bulgaria. The latter are more expensive, black and use wire instead of PCBs. On the whole, folks have been happy with either. Don't know how shipping times differ however...especially to the USA. And a good few folks have used 4x KTs (and more, with external heater supply!) with no untoward effects.

Good hunting and happy listening to you also....CJ
As always @hypnos1 has provided awesome and helpful guidance. I would also add the the Feliks amps' autobias feature contributes to their wider compatibility with other tube types still sounding terrific and performing well. Of interest, I am currently running GEC 6V6 as powers and Sylvania VT-107A as drivers, total current draw is very light at 1.8. Adapters by @Deyan, same ones that are used for KT series. Net effect is amp is running cool and sounding wonderful!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #9,489 of 11,460
Hi Folks, really new to the tube world, I'm sure this has been asked for a ton of times, but can anyone please give me some suggestion between Euforia and Elise? Currently Euforia is $650 more than the Elise MK2, is Euforia is an straight upgrade from Elise? And on what circumstance I should choose Elise over Euforia?
I mainly use Hifiman Arya and ZMF Verite Closed, and mainly listen to female vocal / pops, I prefer euphonic relaxing sound, so I choose Feliks over ZMF pendant, but between Euforia and Elise I'm a little struggling because I heard that Euforia is brighter than Elise but also a big step up from Elise, so if budget allowed, which one I should go with?
Thanks guys in advance, any suggestion will be helpfule :)

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #9,491 of 11,460
Hi Folks, really new to the tube world, I'm sure this has been asked for a ton of times, but can anyone please give me some suggestion between Euforia and Elise? Currently Euforia is $650 more than the Elise MK2, is Euforia is an straight upgrade from Elise? And on what circumstance I should choose Elise over Euforia?
I mainly use Hifiman Arya and ZMF Verite Closed, and mainly listen to female vocal / pops, I prefer euphonic relaxing sound, so I choose Feliks over ZMF pendant, but between Euforia and Elise I'm a little struggling because I heard that Euforia is brighter than Elise but also a big step up from Elise, so if budget allowed, which one I should go with?
Thanks guys in advance, any suggestion will be helpfule :)
I was in the same situation as you just recently. I also have the VC. I was running it on a Feliks Espressivo mkII, but wanted to upgrade. I had sort of decided to go with the Elise (since it is supposed to have good synergy with my Auteur). But when Feliks upped the price on the latest release of the Elise, I went with a lightly used Euforia instead.

The VC totally jumped up a level on the Euforia, it really is a great pairing imo. Power, control, details suddenly improved substantially.

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #9,492 of 11,460

Oh, that's a shame T. Had thought it might possibly be a follow-on model to the Euforia (AE) and next in line to a presumably much more expensive 300b(?) based amp....

But for me personally, a custom-made Euforia using the KT88 would need to be not too much more expensive...Given this tube already works flawlessly in Euforia as is, and its normal use is to provide much more power in speaker amps, I wonder just how different its sonic performance would be in this amp. Pushed harder it would certainly be handy to have more power though...:dt880smile:. And, of course, different tubes will only go so far in the same circuit... major performance increases come from component upgrades/circuit design, as shown for example by @myphone 's results just from better capacitors (not to mention the AE version). So perhaps a caps upgrade along with the tube conversion lol? :wink:

Whatever, your findings should be very interesting...if you do go ahead with this project...GOOD LUCK!

Aug 7, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #9,493 of 11,460
@hypnos1
Oh okay that doesn't sound good.
Let's not do that then, thanks for the info.

@Aquileolus
I've read that the Elise plays a little warmer than the Euforia and that the power is a little less with the Elise than with the Euforia.
If you have two good headphones, the Euforia would be better.
But in any case, test your Hifiman extensively on the Euforia.
Because the Euforia has its limits there too.
It only supports planar headphones to a limited extent.
With the Lcd 2c, I initially struggled with the bass, which was simply too little.
But by changing the tubes I got it under control (Linlais 6SN7 +6080 Mullard or Sylvania).
After that, there was more punch in the bass range and the mids and trebles increased a bit and it became more musical than with the Ps Vane tubes.
That is the small disadvantage of both amplifiers, they are both designed more for dynamic headphones.
The Dan Clark Aeon, for example, is useless with the Euforia.
It plays quietly quite well but as soon as you turn it up it's over.
Therefore, my tip is to test your Hifiman long enough.

I am personally of the opinion that the Ps Vane tubes are too neutral and linear for planar headphones.
Since planar headphones generally have a better resolution, this is my theory.
So it's up to you whether you buy the house tubes when you buy Elise/Euforia.
I advise against it and recommend spending the money on the Linlai tubes directly, even if they cost a little more.
The 6080 Mullards are a little harder to find but the Sylvania are sufficient and cheaper.
The difference is that the Mullards play a little smoother and deeper than the Sylvania.
But the difference is more noticeable when listening closely.

Aug 7, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #9,494 of 11,460
As always @hypnos1 has provided awesome and helpful guidance. I would also add the the Feliks amps' autobias feature contributes to their wider compatibility with other tube types still sounding terrific and performing well. Of interest, I am currently running GEC 6V6 as powers and Sylvania VT-107A as drivers, total current draw is very light at 1.8. Adapters by @Deyan, same ones that are used for KT series. net effect is amp is running cool and sounding wonderful!
Thanks for your kind words LW...us 'old timers' have tried to pass on as much assistance as possible these past years, and glad so many have appreciated the time and effort (not to mention money!) that's gone into it lol :wink:

And wowee LW, looks like you yourself certainly caught the experimentitis bug...sounds like yet another great 'unconventional' combo that these amps can accommodate...WELL DONE! :) Anything else you've got your eye on? But please do be careful mon ami!!...CHEERS...CJ

ps. While on this (controversial) subject of non configured-for tubes, and for recent newcomers interested, may I repeat a few words of caution when taking the plunge : viz

1. Before switch on, ALWAYS have the volume at 0 and headphones unplugged when first inserting the tube(s). This actually goes for ALL tubes, although I myself risked keeping the cans plugged in with tubes that prove OK (to save the hp socket, rather than introducing yet another extending connection in the signal line - I hate connectors and dispense with them wherever/whenever I can!).

2. Look very closely at the tube(s) after switch on for any sign whatsoever of flashing/arcing, reddening of the anode plate. If present, remove the tube IMMEDIATELY (protecting your hand!) and either consign to the bin or return for refund as faulty if recently purchased.

3. After plugging in the cans, turn up the volume very slowly...assuming there's already no hint of distortion of any kind. Sometimes a slight hum might be heard -especially with new tubes, but should gradually disappear after a while. If it continues, it's probaly either faulty (if known to be OK normally) or might indicate a poor wire connection inside its pin. Again, if recently purchased, return for refund or if confident/able, try to resolder the pins to possibly eliminate this cause. Other distortion noise might also be caused by this fault...

Obviously, these are all things to keep an eye/ear on for ever more lol! :wink: Not to mention a base becoming loose...and if so, glue it straight away with superglue. My preference is Gorilla glue (gel, or a 2 part epoxy, if the gap is large). Then...HAPPY and SAFE listening!

pps. A #4 must surely be to always keep those tube pins as spotless/corrosion-free as possible. If the coating is thick, it may need something like the edge of a sharp knife to scrape down. But I myself always finished off with fine emery paper, for a nice smooth finish...makes for easier insertion in the socket and better metal-to-metal contact.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #9,495 of 11,460
Hi, I asked Lukasz if he would consider to refurbish the original Euforia into a KT88 Euforia, when 5998 / 7236 have run out, but he was not keen on the idea. Saying it would be not cost effective or something alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back