Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #9,391 of 11,460
As far as I understand it, it has nothing to do with electrical insulation but with heat transfer. Imagine that you take off a pot of very hot water from the stove. If you touch the metal with your fingers you could burn yourself. So you put on a pair of heat resistant kitchen mittens that insulate your fingers from the heat. By having another layer between your fingers and the pot less heat reaches your fingers.
By using socket savers less heat reaches the chassis of the amp and it runs cooler.
ahhh I see, thermal insulation rather than electrical :joy:

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #9,392 of 11,460
Well after two days about 6 hours each day, changed the VT52 out for the VT96 drivers and still the 6bl7 as powers. Will try these for a couple of days and then try both out for a couple of weeks and see if I have a preference. So far the VT 96 required just a slight increase in the volume to maintain same level. But noticed an increase of the bass with these, and an increase in sound stage. A little wider, but about the same depth. I am really liking these 6N7's, I liked them on the Elise but had not tried them on the Euforia. Same setup with equipment and I must say these Senn 800 are singing just beautifully.
20210716_195035.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #9,393 of 11,460
Well after two days about 6 hours each day, changed the VT52 out for the VT96 drivers and still the 6bl7 as powers. Will try these for a couple of days and then try both out for a couple of weeks and see if I have a preference. So far the VT 96 required just a slight increase in the volume to maintain same level. But noticed an increase of the bass with these, and an increase in sound stage. A little wider, but about the same depth. I am really liking these 7N7's, I liked them on the Elise but had not tried them on the Euforia. Same setup with equipment and I must say these Senn 800 are singing just beautifully.20210716_195035.jpg
Ho @connieflyer, that is a gorgeous photo. I am still a bit uncertain: Do 6BL7 work natively without adapters in Euforia, in both power and driver slot. Thanks for clarifying, my friend, and enjoy.

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #9,394 of 11,460
Good Morning Lorywiv, Yes the 6bl7's work without an adapter. Mine are Sylvania GT. The VT 96 is Ken Rad and the specs are 6.3 Volts / If 0.8 Ampere so filament draw on the four tubes is about 4.6 amps. Am going to do a longer term check out of the VT 52, which is a type 45 special for a week or two and then go back to the VT 96 which is a 6N7 tube. Both of these tubes need adapters. Will be keeping the 6bl7gt's as powers as they are working very well with these and do NOT need adapters

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #9,395 of 11,460
Good Morning Lorywiv, Yes the 6bl7's work without an adapter. Mine are Sylvania GT. The VT 96 is Ken Rad and the specs are 6.3 Volts / If 0.8 Ampere so filament draw on the four tubes is about 4.6 amps. Am going to do a longer term check out of the VT 52, which is a type 45 special for a week or two and then go back to the VT 96 which is a 7N7 tube. Both of these tubes need adapters. Will be keeping the 6bl7gt's as powers as they are working very well with these and do NOT need adapters

Good morning CF, thank you. How would you characterize the 6BL7 as to warm or more neutral / analytic. Just out of interest, have you tried the 6BL7 as drivers?
Best,
LW

Jul 17, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #9,396 of 11,460
When I had the Elise couple years ago that's what I had used the 6 be L7 and I did use them as drivers. As I remember they were pretty decent. I have not tried them as drivers in the euphoria just as power tubes. Has power tubes I would characterize he's as towards the warm side

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #9,397 of 11,460
Well after two days about 6 hours each day, changed the VT52 out for the VT96 drivers and still the 6bl7 as powers. Will try these for a couple of days and then try both out for a couple of weeks and see if I have a preference. So far the VT 96 required just a slight increase in the volume to maintain same level. But noticed an increase of the bass with these, and an increase in sound stage. A little wider, but about the same depth. I am really liking these 7N7's, I liked them on the Elise but had not tried them on the Euforia. Same setup with equipment and I must say these Senn 800 are singing just beautifully.20210716_195035.jpg
Is the VT-96 the same as 6N7?

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #9,398 of 11,460
Yes the VT 96 i use are the Ken Rad and they are the metal can 6N7, March of 1944,four months before I was born! Need an with adapter. That other post was wrong. Finger missed the 6 and hit the 7!

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #9,400 of 11,460
And here I thought I was the oldest most experienced guy on the blog, but you beat me with one year! :grin:
Fixed it for you.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #9,402 of 11,460
I started out with vacuum tubes in 1963, when in the Navy, went through electronics school, and they were still teaching vacuum tube theory as most equipment had it, then just before school finished, they taught us solid state. Now if you will, remember, everything we learned and finally accepted was that electricity traveled along the outside of the wire. Electrons were pulled or pushed by difference of potential. Then this guy gets up there and says, forget for a moment, what you learned about electron flow, with solid state the electrons don't move the hole does! Good thing we went to a bar after school! Love the tubes though.

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #9,403 of 11,460
I started out with vacuum tubes in 1963, when in the Navy, went through electronics school, and they were still teaching vacuum tube theory as most equipment had it, then just before school finished, they taught us solid state. Now if you will, remember, everything we learned and finally accepted was that electricity traveled along the outside of the wire. Electrons were pulled or pushed by difference of potential. Then this guy gets up there and says, forget for a moment, what you learned about electron flow, with solid state the electrons don't move the hole does! Good thing we went to a bar after school! Love the tubes though.
Since you know so much about it, does it make sense or could it make sense to cool the Euforia with it?
https://www.acinfinity.com/componen...s/multifan-s2-quiet-usb-cooling-blower-120mm/

I looked at the S8 but they don't supply the Eu version which is useless for me.

I had thought that you could cut out the fan in the middle of a nice plate like wood and then put the Euforia on it.
That is, not directly on top of the Euforia because of the microphonics and so on.
My thought would be that you could possibly dissipate the heat coming from the tubes better.
And maybe also get along better in the summer.
That you would reach 30 degrees with it would not be a must.
Even if the Euforia was actually built to withstand it.
It might also be easier on the electronics.
According to the description, the fan would extract the warm air and discharge it through the fan chassis to the side.

As an electrician and experienced tube enthusiast, what do you think?

Jul 18, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #9,404 of 11,460
I think what you will find is that each situation is different, as far as ambient temp is concerned. I have never cooled any of my amps. But I am not in a hot climate. That being said, the if you are running like 6080's or 6as7g tubes, they tend to run hot. I use socket savers on the tube pins to chassis as this does give some heat deflection from the tube to the frame. I also use isolation dampeners to raise up the chassis a little higher and it gets a little more air cooling that way. Just remember that if there is noise on the power line from the fan you may get that in the amp. The transformer is also a source of heat. If you do intend to use a fan, duct the air up through the bottom of the chassis, heat rises, and you want the heat away from the solid state components inside. Heat is the enemy of electronics, but there is substantial design to allow air to circulate inside the chassis plus the vent holes. I no longer use the 6080 or 6as7g have not in a long time. Some of the other tube choices put out very little heat, and I prefer the sound of the tubes I have rolled in over the years. There is nothing wrong with the stock tubes, I just prefer the sound from many others. When amps are designed they have to make choices and compromises in the design for many reasons. I have rolled very expensive tubes and now I am finding many inexpensive tubes that work just as well or better.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #9,405 of 11,460
Since you know so much about it, does it make sense or could it make sense to cool the Euforia with it?
https://www.acinfinity.com/componen...s/multifan-s2-quiet-usb-cooling-blower-120mm/

I looked at the S8 but they don't supply the Eu version which is useless for me.

I had thought that you could cut out the fan in the middle of a nice plate like wood and then put the Euforia on it.
That is, not directly on top of the Euforia because of the microphonics and so on.
My thought would be that you could possibly dissipate the heat coming from the tubes better.
And maybe also get along better in the summer.
That you would reach 30 degrees with it would not be a must.
Even if the Euforia was actually built to withstand it.
It might also be easier on the electronics.
According to the description, the fan would extract the warm air and discharge it through the fan chassis to the side.

As an electrician and experienced tube enthusiast, what do you think?
The AC/Infinity fans are USB powered - you have to supply your own USB wall charger. Why would the 5V DC coming out of the charger be different in Europe?
The model you referenced has an air discharge on one side of the fan enclosure; otherwise the fan is the same. The last picture shows the fans I use:
1626664908337.png

The fans have rubber feet and can be put standing up or lying down. The set I have has two 120mm fans controlled by a speed controller and one common USB cable. I found that placing the fans on the shelf or chassis introduced some microphonics although the fans are very quiet.
Ended up placing large rubber bands around the frame of the fans and hung them up from my equipment shelf so that one blows on the transformer and one on the tubes on my amp that can accomodate up to four 6AS7/6080.
As CF says, another approach would be to place the fan(s) above the amp so that the air is circulated from the bottom of the amp and pulled out through the amp.
As a rule, tube amps can withstand up to 80C safely (limited by the capacitor ratings). Using my fans on medium speed the temperature is brought down to around 40-45C on hot days.
This is what I have - found the same item on German eBay:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/363334069156?hash=item549865eba4:g:Ny4AAOSw17dgWpUL
You can use each fan individually if you want. A more powerful USB charger works better (2A).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back