Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 12, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #9,361 of 11,460
So just practising my new found skill - does this mean I can't use the stock PsVane 6N13S with the KT88?

6N13S draw 2.5A each (Iₕ in the datasheet)
KT88 draws 1.6A each.

So that's 8.2A in total, which is greater than the 7A capacity.

edit: this is based off this old datasheet linked below, which isn't for the PsVane 6N13S specifically. Can I assume all 6N13S tubes have the same Iₕ? And likewise for any other tube, whether that's KT88, 6SN7 or whatever.

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/113/6/6N13S.pdf

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #9,362 of 11,460
So just practising my new found skill - does this mean I can't use the stock PsVane 6N13S with the KT88?

KT88 draws 1.6A each.

edit: this is based off this old datasheet linked below, which isn't for the PsVane 6N13S specifically. Can I assume all 6N13S tubes have the same Iₕ? And likewise for any other tube, whether that's KT88, 6SN7 or whatever.

This conclusion is correct

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #9,364 of 11,460
Although my amp is Elise, not Euforia, they are electrically near identical and just wanted to confirm for all that 6L6 family powers (these are Sylvania VT-115A) and 6V6 family drivers (these are Tung-Sol 6V6GT) with appropriate adapters (mine are made by headfi-er @Deyan) work beautifully in the amp. They run cooler than stock tubes, can sound great with synergistic combinations, and look rather handsome IMO. It is true that to do so may void your warranty so it's not for the faint-hearted. But I've had a great time exploring these expanded tube rolling possibilities and enjoyed some glorious sound along the journey.

Tung-Sol 6V6GT & Sylvania VT-115 in Elise (7-11-21).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #9,365 of 11,460
I put a pair of 6bl 7 in and let them warm up for an hour. Have not used them in several years. Pair them with well-used kt77 and I am very surprised at the sound. Plenty of volume on the Sennheiser 800 and Oppo pm-1. Sound is very engaging
@connieflyer, do the 6BL7 or related 6BX7 octals work "natively" in Euforia / Elise or are adapters required? Yours appear to be in socket savers only but wanted to verify befoire trying and blowing anything up! :fearful:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #9,366 of 11,460

KT88 draws 1.6A each.

Yes, unless you use a socket saver which is powered, or powered KTXX adapters. I have the former, and a power supply, made by Deyan.

Current config is KT88 as drivers, and dual KT88 and TS 5998 as powers. I could swap in the stock PSvane, but would need to add external power to those or the KT88. I have enough for six tubes, of any reasonable power.

With external tube power, the amp runs very cool as well.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #9,367 of 11,460
Yes, unless you use a socket saver which is powered, or powered KTXX adapters. I have the former, and a power supply, made by Deyan.

Current config is KT88 as drivers, and dual KT88 and TS 5998 as powers. I could swap in the stock PSvane, but would need to add external power to those or the KT88. I have enough for six tubes, of any reasonable power.

With external tube power, the amp runs very cool as well.
man.... I think you're the crazinest of us all :beyersmile:

No kidding, that's awesome. I think I'd be too freaked out to get into external power.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #9,368 of 11,460
@connieflyer, do the 6BL7 or related 6BX7 octals work "natively" in Euforia / Elise or are adapters required? Yours appear to be in socket savers only but wanted to verify befoire trying and b

lowing anything up! :fearful:
https://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2019/08/tube-of-month-6bx7.html
They are the exact same pinoutas-6sN7 they belong to the same class of tubes. That is in fact a socket saver that you see in the photo. I'm going to go back and try one of my old favorites in the Elise amplifier. the Vt96 which is a 7n7 tube. Both need adapters for those that are interested.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_vt-96.html

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #9,369 of 11,460
https://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2019/08/tube-of-month-6bx7.html
They are the exact same pinout sa-6s N7 they belong to the same class of tubes that is in fact a socket saver that you see in the photo. I'm going to go back and try to my old favorites in the
Elise amplifier. The vt52 which is a 45 type tube and the Vt96 which is a 7n7 tube
@connieflyer: Thank you my friend, sounds as if 6BL7 / 6BX7 can wok "natively" without adapter in either power slot (as you diddriven by KT77) or driver slot. 6BL7 / 6BX7 are quite affordable relative to other options. I may give them a go!!!

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #9,371 of 11,460
Length of time is dependent on each individual tube. I have had some failures, but not many. Depends on the individual tube constrution, heat, how hard they are driven and luck of the game. Some amps go through tubes faster than others, and I would not ever say with any certaincy how long any tube will last. I even had a C3G burn out within 6 months in the Elise, and those are designed for long length reliable service. So it is hard to quantify, I still have some tubes, some 5189 and 6j5's left from my first tube amp.

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #9,372 of 11,460
Started out this morning with the Marconi VT52 manufactured in Feb 1945, they use an EL32 adapter. They have over 120 hours on them, so are burned in well. Nice bass, female vocals are some of the best. Used these in the Elise, and first Euphoria for awhile. Now with the AE sound great. Later will try the KENRAD VT 96. The VT96 needs an adapter, as it is an7N7 type

Attachments

• 20210714_082019.jpg
    20210714_082019.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210714_082126.jpg
    20210714_082126.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210714_083044.jpg
    20210714_083044.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210714_083100.jpg
    20210714_083100.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #9,373 of 11,460
Started out this morning with the Marconi VT52 manufactured in Feb 1945, they use an EL32 adapter. They have over 120 hours on them, so are burned in well. Nice bass, female vocals are some of the best. Used these in the Elise, and first Euphoria for awhile. Now with the AE sound great. Later will try the KENRAD VT 96. The VT96 needs an adapter, as it is an7N7 type
So you had the Elise then the Euforia and now the Anniversary Edition.

Can you give Brief impressions of the changes that one can expect between each of thosr?

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #9,374 of 11,460
Hard to remember difference in Elise, sold that before I got the Euforia. The difference between the Euforia and the AE version, for me, comes down to clarity. Not a big difference, but had both connected for a few weeks and went back and forth, using one then the other, on same material. Would use one for a day or two and then switch to the other amp. I found after a few weeks, I was subconscously using the AE. I did this for a few more weeks, and by the last week, used the AE constantly. Was it worth it? That like sound is entirely dependent on the individual, for me it was more a better(?) overall experience. Subconsciene mind just went with the AE. I don't worry myself about scientific tests, these will give you a ball park, but it is the individual hearing that has to rule out. What you hear and what I hear are never going to be exactly the same. Would I buy the AE again after using for many months, compared to the standard model? Absolutlely! To my hearing, it is just better. If you can, see if you can demo one for a week or so, even if you had to pay a fee, it would be worth it.

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #9,375 of 11,460
Hard to remember difference in Elise, sold that before I got the Euforia. The difference between the Euforia and the AE version, for me, comes down to clarity. Not a big difference, but had both connected for a few weeks and went back and forth, using one then the other, on same material. Would use one for a day or two and then switch to the other amp. I found after a few weeks, I was subconscously using the AE. I did this for a few more weeks, and by the last week, used the AE constantly. Was it worth it? That like sound is entirely dependent on the individual, for me it was more a better(?) overall experience. Subconsciene mind just went with the AE. I don't worry myself about scientific tests, these will give you a ball park, but it is the individual hearing that has to rule out. What you hear and what I hear are never going to be exactly the same. Would I buy the AE again after using for many months, compared to the standard model? Absolutlely! To my hearing, it is just better. If you can, see if you can demo one for a week or so, even if you had to pay a fee, it would be worth it.
IMHO it takes time to form a more definitive impression of how an amp/tube combination sounds. I often found that the initial impression could be misleading in the long run and I also feel that subconsciously it takes sometimes a very long time to arrive at a true judgement of how you feel in relation to how it sounds.
For these reasons I am very skeptical when I read people’s impressions of cycling through a bunch of tubes after only listening a few minutes to each combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back