Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Oct 25, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #6,976 of 11,472
Hello LoryWiv, I was running a pair of Foton 6sn7's for drivers. I had them in just to start the burn in while waiting on the other pair of adapters. Had about 20 hours on the 7581A's and they had already started to improve. I was using the pre-outs to listen to them while they continued to burn in. That combo sounded very good, and I am sure that the Tung Sol6sn7's will too. I have a pair and liked them. The Russian Foton's where from their premier plant and they have sounded good with what ever I tried with them. I am going to continue burning in this quad until I get at least 100+hours on them before I start to try different conbinations. Will be trying the EL 39 with three 7581A's as my first roll. I did like using a singe el39 tube as a power. We shall see, good luck

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #6,977 of 11,472
Thanks, @connieflyer. I look forward to heating about your experience and impressions with the 7581A in various combinations!

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #6,978 of 11,472
Here you go UT.
Do the El12 spez require an adapter with wired connection running up to the anode cap or just an adapter for base into socket and a stand alone anode cap cover?

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #6,979 of 11,472
Hello H, Got the second pair of adapters late this afternoon. Had them in for about an hour, moved the first pair from powers to drivers and the new pair to powers. 26 hours on the first pair and one hour one the second pair. So one thing I noticed, going to a quad from the pair, with a pair of Foton 6 sn7 the power out is less. Had to turn the amp up a bit more to get the same apparent volumn. Could be the Foton's or just that the new pair just needs lots more burn in. Had to give it a listen, so far so good.

Glad to hear you now have 4x 7581As to play with cf...and yes, their output is lower than most other combos so will need higher vol setting. But luckily, I've found that even when going to a (setting) level never approached before, I haven't had the slightest hint of distortion...just more of the clearest delivery I've ever heard lol :):)...(well, once those as drivers have at least 50 hrs on them, that is!! :ksc75smile:)...CHEERS!...CJ

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #6,980 of 11,472
Do the El12 spez require an adapter with wired connection running up to the anode cap or just an adapter for base into socket and a stand alone anode cap cover?

Hi LW. Yep, the required adapter has the anode wire running to the tube's cap...

ps. With those spez's of cf I ran the wire up the back of the tube, so not as noticeable as most 3rd party offerings lol :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #6,981 of 11,472
This one is mine :)

I also have the Gold Tubes, so lots of fun times!

In the meanwhile I also managed to do a short unboxing video, soon to post on my Youtube! :)

Yo DG...those PsVane CV181TIIs are not a bad tube at all. Hope you have a good selection of other drivers also, and especially powers lol :wink::ksc75smile:...

Looking forward to your Youtube video...CJ

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #6,982 of 11,472
I've had to change my method concerning running in 7581's from 4 in my Euforia to two in each, Euforia and Elise both in the driver position. I just wasn't feeling the vib after 30ish hours burn in 4x 7581 or 3x7581 and EL39 in Euforia. Euforia is now running with 2x 7581 as drivers and 2xEL39 powers and sounding very good. I realise nowhere near 150hrs burn-
in but as I tend to run tubes in whilst listening to music and need to be enjoying what I'm listening to. Hope to eventually end up with 3x7581 and EL39 in Euforia, well run in and at least somewhere near H1 results.
Should say H1 that these are Tung Sol 7581's. If I'd kept the first 4 USSR made tubes I would not have been able to compare results with everybody else.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #6,983 of 11,472
I've had to change my method concerning running in 7581's from 4 in my Euforia to two in each, Euforia and Elise both in the driver position. I just wasn't feeling the vib after 30ish hours burn in 4x 7581 or 3x7581 and EL39 in Euforia. Euforia is now running with 2x 7581 as drivers and 2xEL39 powers and sounding very good. I realise nowhere near 150hrs burn-
in but as I tend to run tubes in whilst listening to music and need to be enjoying what I'm listening to. Hope to eventually end up with 3x7581 and EL39 in Euforia, well run in and at least somewhere near H1 results.
Should say H1 that these are Tung Sol 7581's. If I'd kept the first 4 USSR made tubes I would not have been able to compare results with everybody else.

Hi bt...and yes indeed, early days as yet. If I personally hadn't persevered with 7581As driving the same (and the EL39 for that matter!), I would never have known their eventual true potential lol. I can only hope that time will do the same for yourself - and anyone else for that matter :wink:. In fact, for the first time ever, I postponed going back to listen to them as drivers, I was that disappointed. But now, I could never go back to even my beloved mesh-plate EL11s...:triportsad:...

However, as per usual - different systems/ears/preferences etc., not to mention adjustment to different sound presentation. I myself have been a very long time moving away from what many aficionados would regard as a topmost presentation - the clarity and more treble-biased combo of the C3g driving the hallowed GEC/Osram family of 6AS7G power for example. But I now crave a more 'full-bodied' sound, with more emphasis on bass, and mids especially...hence my preference for Euforia over Elise. And fortunately, the current combo in my own setup provides this in spades, without losing either treble presence or clarity. I hope wholeheartedly that other systems can approach this sound, assuming that is in fact one's cup of tea lol! :smile_phones:...there's more than one road to Nirvana...:ksc75smile:...

So, good luck with the burn-in mon ami...CJ

ps. I'm sure 2x EL39s as powers will still be hard to beat lol!...

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #6,984 of 11,472
Hi H, have about 38 hours on mine now, and they are starting to sound very good. Opening up more, hardly any distortion also. This is with the quad still, going to wait until 100+ before rolling in EL39 unless this sounds even better before then. Tried them with Sen 800 today, and they are indeed much improved. Thanks again CJ

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #6,985 of 11,472
Hi H, have about 38 hours on mine now, and they are starting to sound very good. Opening up more, hardly any distortion also. This is with the quad still, going to wait until 100+ before rolling in EL39 unless this sounds even better before then. Tried them with Sen 800 today, and they are indeed much improved. Thanks again CJ

Good to hear cf...but you've still a looong way to go lol! :wink: It was only about now that I didn't give up on them as drivers (to the same as power)...so hope your patience holds out!! :dt880smile:...
Obviously down to the fact that our amps keep these babies just on 'simmer'...no doubt they'd sound even better when pushed harder, as they will be in @ZRW0 's amp. But then, so would the amp be running much hotter...and I for one am loving how cool all these triode-strapped pentodes keep my amp - a very worthwhile bonus IMHO.

And may I once again give thanks to Erwan for suggesting I try the 7581A...despite my rather dubious initial thoughts lol! However, I'm now scouring old tube (valve) collections on ebay (UK) for any hidden, unrecognised GEC/Osram/Marconi KT66s...would love to compare them with the TS Russian reissues. But am certainly not going to pay the usual asking prices!! :astonished:...CHEERS!...

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #6,986 of 11,472
I was just looking at these, only 600 dollars for a used pair! No way am I going down that route with this amp, it just isn't up to it

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #6,987 of 11,472
I was just looking at these, only 600 dollars for a used pair! No way am I going down that route with this amp, it just isn't up to it

Perhaps I should convince a maker here to design an hp amp specifically around this 7581A/6L6GC/KT66 family...then you can cite me as cause for your bankruptcy, dear friend!!! :triportsad::wink:...

And it's g'night from me...:dt880smile:...HAPPY LISTENING!...CJ

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #6,988 of 11,472
After exhaustive/ exhausting testing my euforia is going to meet his maker for a bit of TLC. I dropped it off at audiobarn on Wednesday. I received some dangerous info while there, that their anniversary demo will be arriving next week and should be nicely run in by the time mine is back from Poland. I also made the (pre-meditated mistake) of hooking up my VC’s to the Hugo tt2 while I was there, all i can say is damn! And I’m going have to try very hard when collecting the euforia not to listen to all three and or to leave my credit card at home :wink: :)

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #6,989 of 11,472
Don't you dare run off after a statement like that! You find the manufacturer I will buy one! Want something new, something with some style, performance and tubes that glow blue!!!

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #6,990 of 11,472
What are they asking for the anniverary amp over there? Here in the states they want $3500 plus shipping from the west coast. Not even close to what the difference in cost would be between that and Euforia. And with the upgraded tubes that we use, I doubt it would sound any better if as good. My opinion of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back