Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Oct 19, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #6,946 of 11,460
Just read that review. Does not give out much information, some sounds like it was copied off the website. Does not say what tubes he used in the Elise to get betters sound, nor does he list what phones or equipment he uses, all would make a significant difference. He minimizes the cost as well, the Euforia is now $2500 plus shipping in the U.S. and the anniversary $3500 plus shipping. A thousand dollars for the few upgrades does not seem worth the it. If we had a decent review of one, with someone that has the experience and the equipment to bring out the best and also a current knowledge of the Euforia, it would indeed be a valid review. FA was supposed to get a demo unit for H1, and last I checked with Lukasz he said yes, but after over a month and silence from my last email about when he might expect one, I think, perhaps they don't want to risk having an honest comparison. Just my thoughts on the subject. I was seriously going to get the anniversary amp, liked the look of it and have been waiting and waiting for their 2A3 amp to come to fruition, but have decided to look elsewhere. Empty promises and constant push back on a new product does not bode well for me.

Oct 19, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #6,947 of 11,460
Euforia preamp (Valvo EL11/Philips EL39) driving a Jolida 3502C with 4 x RFT EL12N, TFK ECC801S and Mullard CV4004 “box plates” as “B” preamp

Picture of the Euforia preamp (Valvo EL11/Philips EL39) ?

I'm familiar with the tone of EL11, EL12, EL12N and EL12 spez, having heard them in Elise and Glenn OTL amp just to get a taste of the EL tubes tone.

EL12N is a touch brighter and leaner than the other EL tubes I listed above. Useful for some system or matching.

I'm still debating whether to use Telefunken EL12 spez solely as power tubes in my new custom amp call ' Berlin' or to allow the use of EL12, EL12N and EL12 spez as power tubes. Also have not decided whether to go with dual or quad EL12 spez as power tubes. Telefunken EL11 will be my drivers.

These are my EL tubes that I've already purchased for Berlin:-

3 pairs of NOS NIB Telefunken EL12 spez.
1 pair of NOS NIB Tesla EL12 spez.
1 pair of NOS Telefunken EL12.
1 pair of NOS NIB RFT EL12N.
1 pair of NOS NIB Telefunken EL11.
2 pairs of NOS NIB Siemens EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB RFT EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB Philips Miniwatt EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB Triotron EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB Tungsram EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB Telefunken EL13.

:smile_phones:

Oct 19, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #6,949 of 11,460
I was actually quite keen on a Feliks Audio William stereo tube amp. Might still be interested when I switch back to my stereo setup.

images.jpg

Meanwhile I'll go and spin some LPs on my Rega RP8.
IMG-2585.JPG

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #6,950 of 11,460
Hi Matt, as to the El12's for power tubes on your new amp, of those listed, I would personally go with the El 12 Spez. In my experience, I had much better luck with these. As to whether you go with two or four power tubes. I would imagine it would be how the amp specs out as to load and what you going to drive with the amp. I always prefer a little more power, than too little. Good luck either way, D

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #6,951 of 11,460
Just read that review. Does not give out much information, some sounds like it was copied off the website. Does not say what tubes he used in the Elise to get betters sound, nor does he list what phones or equipment he uses, all would make a significant difference. He minimizes the cost as well, the Euforia is now $2500 plus shipping in the U.S. and the anniversary $3500 plus shipping. A thousand dollars for the few upgrades does not seem worth the it. If we had a decent review of one, with someone that has the experience and the equipment to bring out the best and also a current knowledge of the Euforia, it would indeed be a valid review. FA was supposed to get a demo unit for H1, and last I checked with Lukasz he said yes, but after over a month and silence from my last email about when he might expect one, I think, perhaps they don't want to risk having an honest comparison. Just my thoughts on the subject. I was seriously going to get the anniversary amp, liked the look of it and have been waiting and waiting for their 2A3 amp to come to fruition, but have decided to look elsewhere. Empty promises and constant push back on a new product does not bode well for me.
I was able to listen to them side by side at Upscale with stock tubes and a Utopia. I wasn't able to listen extensively. I was actually there to solve a noise issue with my 2018 Euforia and we were using the Anniversary Edition to compare. Just based on my quick comparison, I have no interest in upgrading.

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #6,952 of 11,460
I was able to listen to them side by side at Upscale with stock tubes and a Utopia. I wasn't able to listen extensively. I was actually there to solve a noise issue with my 2018 Euforia and we were using the Anniversary Edition to compare. Just based on my quick comparison, I have no interest in upgrading.
What about the important information? Were you able to solve your noise problem?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #6,953 of 11,460
Hi Matt, as to the El12's for power tubes on your new amp, of those listed, I would personally go with the El 12 Spez. In my experience, I had much better luck with these. As to whether you go with two or four power tubes. I would imagine it would be how the amp specs out as to load and what you going to drive with the amp. I always prefer a little more power, than too little. Good luck either way, D

That's was the plan to go with EL12 spez. I have 4 pairs of NOS EL12 spez.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #6,954 of 11,460
EDAFC13E-F143-43F9-BACB-ADFE15B0ECAC.jpeg

Picture of the Euforia preamp (Valvo EL11/Philips EL39) ?

I'm familiar with the tone of EL11, EL12, EL12N and EL12 spez, having heard them in Elise and Glenn OTL amp just to get a taste of the EL tubes tone.

EL12N is a touch brighter and leaner than the other EL tubes I listed above. Useful for some system or matching.

I'm still debating whether to use Telefunken EL12 spez solely as power tubes in my new custom amp call ' Berlin' or to allow the use of EL12, EL12N and EL12 spez as power tubes. Also have not decided whether to go with dual or quad EL12 spez as power tubes. Telefunken EL11 will be my drivers.

These are my EL tubes that I've already purchased for Berlin:-

3 pairs of NOS NIB Telefunken EL12 spez.
1 pair of NOS NIB Tesla EL12 spez.
1 pair of NOS Telefunken EL12.
1 pair of NOS NIB RFT EL12N.
1 pair of NOS NIB Telefunken EL11.
2 pairs of NOS NIB Siemens EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB RFT EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB Philips Miniwatt EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB Triotron EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB Tungsram EL11.
1 pair of NOS NIB Telefunken EL13.

:smile_phones:

Hi UT, and (oops!) you are right, that pic was obviously not Euforia but my Jolida Fusion fitted with EL12Ns...Euforia is at the right side. In this one appears with RFT EL11s, but one began to make strange scratching noises, so I switched to the Valvos...

BTW, you do have an impressive collection of EL11/EL12s ! Choosing the EL12Ns for my power amp was easy because I had a pair and a second NOS pair was readily available relatively cheap...but (most importantly) I learned that the EL12 “N” (the last version of the family) was the only EL12 tube capable of 400v as the EL34s...so it was “safe” to use it strapped as EL34s pentodes in a power amp.

And yes, the EL12Ns sounded just a touch brighter and leaner (as power triodes in Euforia) compared to, say, the EL12 spezials, but I also felt they sounded a bit clearer and more transparent/detailed. As powers in my PA (or more properly said as pentodes, transformer coupled) It was a different history: all traces of “leanness” or “brightness” disappeared, being replaced by a really tight, deep & precise bass, along with outstanding detail and dynamics across the whole frequency spectrum. Not a “warm” tube, but not “cold” either...I mean, it is not euphonic at all: neutral may be the word (a virtue seldom found in any power tube that I know of). And I am trying to be objective: at least with my system and on my power amp (either driven by Euforia or by my “B” preamp) the quad of EL12Ns powers sounded absolutely terrific, some of the best I have ever heard on that amp.

Based on my above experiences, I would suggest to use a quad of EL12s or EL12Ns (interchangeable) in your new “Berlin” amp, with EL11s as drivers. First, it will be powerful, great sounding and able to drive any HP on earth (including electrostatics I guess), second, it will make a “world class” preamp (with pre outs, please !) and third, flexibility: you will have much wider options to fine tune the sound by swapping EL12 family tubes than with the EL12 spezials...in my humble opinion of course !!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #6,955 of 11,460
I learned that the EL12 “N” (the latest version of the family) was the only EL12 tube capable of 400v as the EL34s...so it was “safe” to use it strapped as EL34s pentodes in a power amp.

Thanks for the pic Johnny but I have to correct you on the EL12N as the only EL12 tube capable of 425 volts. If you look up EL12 spez, it is also 425 volts. Only EL12 has variations of 250, 375 volts.

These EL tubes are predecessors of EL34. They are great tubes indeed.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #6,957 of 11,460
Hello UT, I got a little interested in the EL12 Spez again, have not used it quite a while, with all the other tube rolling . So Started listening to these with the El 11 mesh plates and they were plenty powerful, but compared to the El 38 special with one El 39, at least for me, they have to go. They are not as detailed and lack a certain je ne sais quoi, seem to be a little bright, mids seem a like lacking on my system. Of course the way you will be using them, in a different circuit they are bound to sound different.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #6,958 of 11,460
Kinda? On my amp I have to avoid certain tubes. Some bring out a buzz when the knob between 12 and 2 o'clock. Some don't.

Hi triggs. Interesting (if not very encouraging lol! :wink:) initial impression of the Anniversary Edition Euforia. I wonder if anyone will be able/willing to to give an extensive comparison with the current model...and as @connieflyer intimated, with different tubes and associated gear?...hmmmm...Can't help feeling the price really is a tad too far (especially with Upscale's added premium lol!!:triportsad:...).

Anyway, it sounds to me like you're still afflicted with something, somewhere. Did your amp have this issue in the exact same setup as the SE amp, with the latter totally free from said distortion? And what was their reaction? Or is it just in your own home setup/environment?
Whatever, I hope an answer arrives soon...:ksc75smile:...CJ

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #6,959 of 11,460
Hello UT, I got a little interested in the EL12 Spez again, have not used it quite a while, with all the other tube rolling . So Started listening to these with the El 11 mesh plates and they were plenty powerful, but compared to the El 38 special with one El 39, at least for me, they have to go. They are not as detailed and lack a certain je ne sais quoi, seem to be a little bright, mids seem a like lacking on my system. Of course the way you will be using them, in a different circuit they are bound to sound different.

You have to take a pic and show me the EL11 and EL12 spez. :) I can't run EL12 spez as power tubes in GOTL because I've to use dual EL12 spez to 6as7 adapter in a single slot and it doesn't sound right - terrible hum. However I can use EL12 spez as drivers in GOTL in the 6sn7 slot and it's beautiful. So my tubes will have to wait for Berlin.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #6,960 of 11,460
Well UT, went back to an El 38 spec and an EL39 and the magic is back. I think that for my system this is as good as I have ever heard it. Will be very interesting when my adapters for the 7581A finally get here, and I can get 150 hour burn in on them to go back and compare to this combo and see which I like better and why.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back