Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #4,291 of 11,460
It was probably the Mazda's. I use the Visseaux 6n7G. Everyone is different

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #4,292 of 11,460
You may want to tuck the lead in close to the tube like this... these were made up for me by a friend of mine and I have no hum at all. Others have used ferrite beads https://www.amazon.com/stardrift-10...pID=51qZBDD4rrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch like these.

Thank you, CF.

Ferrite clips are on. They are cheap. Five on each side

Hum is complete gone. Amp is silent. Sound is clean and clear. Will let the tubes burn in.

IMG_0408.JPG

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #4,296 of 11,460
Hi Johhnysound,
I am starting to become a big believer in the synergy of certain driver/power tube combinations. The trick is to find the best ones...
So far my favorites are 1953-55 Foton ribbed anode with GEC (6080) and the EL11 with the Chatham 6080.
Will dig out the Mullards - haven't used them in a long time. Then I have to try CF's recipe of the Visseaux 6N7G with the 5998 tubes.....

Well by the end of this week I'll have the privilege of giving my Euforia what she needs - POWER! Coming back to the US and waking her up from 10 months of depression (er.. hopefully 'hibernation') :wink:, packaged and stored carefully. I distinctly remember that wall to wall boundlessly holographic, nearly effortless sound, immediate dynamics, velvety mids and realism in droves that I got from my top setups, namely Bendix 6080 slotted graphite plates + RCA 6SN7 GT newest smoked glass style; and the EL12 Spez as powers with many driver pairings ranging from the 'miniature' (ECC88) class to 6SN7s. While the EL12+EL11 for me sounded a bit on the thin/bright side, the EL12 x4 combo evened it out, though perhaps still a bit rich / sweet or 'overdone' on my system.

I'll also be trying your above GEC combo with two sets of Fotons, thanks for the tips. Ah yes Mordy, 'synergy'. Perhaps you're revisiting something we've known on these F-A threads for a while. The explainable realm of what makes four of the best tubes sound 'meh' together, while two random pairs of 'average-Joes' can mysteriously steal the show. The only real way to find out which tubes sound best is to try all that you can (within reason) on your system - use a process of elimination and after exhausting all mathematically possible combinations you can formulate a list of which sound good on your system with your own up/downstream gear and your own ears... which can and do vary greatly from others.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #4,297 of 11,460
Well by the end of this week I'll have the privilege of giving my Euforia what she needs - POWER! Coming back to the US and waking her up from 10 months of depression (er.. hopefully 'hibernation') :wink:, packaged and stored carefully. I distinctly remember that wall to wall boundlessly holographic, nearly effortless sound, immediate dynamics, velvety mids and realism in droves that I got from my top setups, namely Bendix 6080 slotted graphite plates + RCA 6SN7 GT newest smoked glass style; and the EL12 Spez as powers with many driver pairings ranging from the 'miniature' (ECC88) class to 6SN7s. While the EL12+EL11 for me sounded a bit on the thin/bright side, the EL12 x4 combo evened it out, though perhaps still a bit rich / sweet or 'overdone' on my system.

I'll also be trying your above GEC combo with two sets of Fotons, thanks for the tips. Ah yes Mordy, 'synergy'. Perhaps you're revisiting something we've known on these F-A threads for a while. The explainable realm of what makes four of the best tubes sound 'meh' together, while two random pairs of 'average-Joes' can mysteriously steal the show. The only real way to find out which tubes sound best is to try all that you can (within reason) on your system - use a process of elimination and after exhausting all mathematically possible combinations you can formulate a list of which sound good on your system with your own up/downstream gear and your own ears... which can and do vary greatly from others.
Hi DL,
Welcome back from your world trip!
Still enjoying the Senn 380?
Going back to Tesla?
BTW, some of us have moved on to 2359glenn territory ......

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #4,298 of 11,460
Thanks for the sentiment. Actually I didn't have the chance to get the HD-380 yet just because my luggage is already overstuffed, still overseas, and managing an online business from anywhere - so as of now, no need for a 'brick & mortar' job for me, but also scacely any time for Head-Fi.

Most likely Glenn Amps would be the next step up the ladder for me too, if I weren't traveling so much however. In all the 8-10 trade shows / meets I've been to, never seen any of them on display, it's a shame... (@2359glenn take note). I've known UT has progressed to there, wonder who else.

PS - about PCT, is he no longer "with us"? A recent post had me wondering this. (I can edit this upon request)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #4,299 of 11,460
Most likely Glenn Amps would be the next step up the ladder for me too, if I weren't traveling so much however. In all the 8-10 trade shows / meets I've been to, never seen any of them on display, it's a shame... (@2359glenn take note). I've known UT has progressed to there, wonder who else.

DL Can't do it Health issues (stage 4 cancer) plus a full time job. Unless they have some meets in North Carolina or close that I can easily get to.

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #4,300 of 11,460
Thanks for the sentiment. Actually I didn't have the chance to get the HD-380 yet just because my luggage is already overstuffed, still overseas, and managing an online business from anywhere - so as of now, no need for a 'brick & mortar' job for me, but also scacely any time for Head-Fi.

PS - about PCT, is he no longer "with us"? A recent post had me wondering this. (I can edit this upon request)

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #4,301 of 11,460
DL PCT aka Phil, passed away the end of January. Cancer built up rather quickly. Good man, and loyal friend. Truely missed. Sorry to hear about your situation as well, wishing you all the best, Don

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #4,302 of 11,460

Hi there DL...welcome back to head-fi land.

As @connieflyer told you, I'm afraid our good friend Phil was taken from us quickly, and far too soon...life just ain't fair very often! :triportsad: He is indeed much missed.
It is also sad news that @2359glenn has health issues...commiserations to him also...(no wonder he can't attend any major shows lol!).

As for your own future, travel certainly does limit one's participation in this hobby of ours....but if time (and funds!) permit later, you might want to wait and see if F-A's new 2A3 flagship amp makes the light of day this year...it is on course to be right up there with the very best. Just hope they can keep the price competitive!!

ps. I personally don't find anything missing whatsoever with the EL11/EL12 Spezial combo...in fact it reproduces all genres of music better than any combo I've tried...regardless of price! But, as I've mentioned many times before, this is probably due to everything else in the system fortunately being of very high calibre, plus my own tube adapting, using pure silver and single-crystal copper wires lol! But then, everyones' ears/brain/preferences are also different, of course!! :ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #4,304 of 11,460
Hi @hypnos1, nice to CU still around too. I recon a hypnotist was on order for that arm of yours, since you're typing again right? :grin:. Otherwise I think I speak for everybody when I say if you only have the use of one arm, we'll totally understand if you want to take it easy. Yes I have no doubt the EL11+12's 'sing' in your system, and I do believe up/downstream gear or 'synergy' plays a large role, sounding better in some systems than others.
It really comes down to how a specific tube plays with a specific amp (in our case two pairs), which can otherwise sound different from just one year of manufacture, or even different copies of the same tube. So for anyone new here, don't be afraid to try tubes to see how they pair in your own amp - check first on compatibility of course, and you can usually sell/return the ones you don't keep.

Also I must mention @2359glenn once more - indeed it would be a logistical nightmare to make every meet even in perfect health. My suggestion was more on order of sending demo units by way of courier or trade partner, or even encouraging fellow hobbyists to bring their units to a show. Also will you still be fulfilling new orders in your condition? I'm not ready but wanted to know this one... feel free to reply by PM.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #4,305 of 11,460

DL Can't do it Health issues (stage 4 cancer) plus a full time job. Unless they have some meets in North Carolina or close that I can easily get to.
Could you please ask your doc for Keytruda? Best wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back