Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
May 20, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #2,476 of 11,472
I've been so used to my NAD d1050 dac with Euforia and modded HD650 and T1.

1st impression - With HD800 and Yggy in the setup with Euforia. Both headphone and dac are still raw. Brand new. I want to capture what I hear right now as compared to my old setup.

You are kidding me. Right out of the box, this setup with a burn in Euforia have me grinning from ear to ear. Sound cues snap to attention and have an immediate focus. Soundstage is wide and deep. I hear all the notes, instruments very clearly. High notes are tingling. Vocals are already sounding like a million bucks. Bass is pretty awesome on my bass track - 'Rock You Gently' by Jennifer Warnes, The Hunter album.

Tubes in Euforia are Sylvania 6sn7w and Bendix 6080wb slotted graphite plates.

I can't see how I want to go back to NAD d1050 again.... and I know that the sound will get better and better in the days to come.

Fate has it that I got a Yggy when I set out today to buy a Gumby.... no in fact at the start of my search for a DAC, I was thinking of the Denafrips Ares.

I'm sure glad it turn out this way.

ps... I'm still using a plain vanilla USB cable to connect Yggy. :laughing:

Congratulations on the Yggy. I also own one.

The Yggy needs time to thermally stabilize (see your included manual), basically over the course of a week or so. Do not turn it off. If you think you like it now, you haven't heard anything yet. It will start to become spooky real by about the fourth day. I firmly remember noticing the DAC was almost two different personalities in one from days two to three, where you had the real Yggy beginning to emerge from the cold body of its initial self. The Yggy shines with just the music you seem to post here; it is a fantastic, reference-level DAC with real world instruments and voices. I have little doubt it pairs well with your Euforia.

As for the HD800, it is an incredibly resolving and spacious, yet polarizing and picky headphone. It is arguably more technically superior to the T1, but you will find it will expose everything wrong with poorly mastered recordings. For those that you find do well with the HD800, be prepared to be absolutely blown away. On the right chain and with the right music, not even the Utopia has blown me away like the HD800 has. I would highly suggest contacting sorrodje for a very affordable physical mod to attenuate its peak at 6khz. The HD800S includes essentially the same thing, but it adds second-order distortion to the bass that the original HD800 does not have, making the original more accurate. If you need help securing this from sorrodje, PM me. It is an essential mod IMO. He is usually more than happy to hook people up. See Tyll's innerfidelity article on the HD800S for an official mention of sorrodje's mod.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #2,477 of 11,472
I end up buying Yggy and Pokey. Gumby is out of the movie now. Too bad he's out of stock. Tom made me an offer I couldn't resist even though my wallet says no.

He took $400 off the package price. I look at him with eyes glistening but I'm trying to conceal it, so I countered 'take $500 off and make my day or you will swim with the fishes'. Being the seasoned salesman that he is, he said, 'Let's meet it halfway - $450 off !'

I was about to say, 'Throw in an Omega headphone stand and it's a done deal' but I'm anxious to get this thing home and lunch is beckoning. So I shook Tom's hand and that was it. I got meself a Yggy (which I didn't plan on buying) and HD800 in a brand new box.

So I have to burn in the dac and the headphone with Euforia. Think I'll just listen to it while it burns in and see if I hear anything different when it transforms.

Congrats is is order....wonderful set -up indeed.

May 20, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #2,478 of 11,472
@UntilThen There is no doubt you have catapulted yourself into owning one of the finest high end headphone systems in the world. That's very appropriate, as I don't know another non-professional HeadFi member who has contributed more than you to helping people, providing invaluable information and generating the excitement many of us feel for our hobby.

Obviously, you know the critical importance of allowing Yiggy to settle in over the next week and keeping it on full time 24/7 from now on, and you know that the best still awaits you. At some point in the future you no doubt will be tempted to upgrade to a fully balanced system, and I suspect with the satisfaction you will experience with Yiggy that the Rag may be on your short list. I myself am skeptical about the benefit of balanced circuitry in the desktop setting, but Schiit knows far more than I do, and they obviously feel it can be beneficial.

II suspect that by running Yiggy with Euforia you will be experiencing magic that very few HeadFi members have ever come close to enjoying. Euforia, with its special combination of detail retrieval coupled with a tonal balance that is unique and addictive shares much with the Schiit multibit DACs. So you are now at the outset of an entirely new adventure that I'm sure many of us will be following closely.

And I'm sure that as good as Yiggy will perform with a straight USB connection from your PC, it will probably reach an entirely new level if you take advantage of its AES/EBU input with something like this: https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxersu1black/

Two days ago I received this: https://kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudio-xeme2ve-usb-to-spdif-digital-interface/ I immediately noticed an improvement when I inserted it between my powered USB3 hub and Bimby. But the Kitsune website makes a point of praising the advantage of the units' USB 3 input. I didn't have the right USB3 cable on the first day, but yesterday I swapped in a cheap USB3 cable and the improvement was dramatic, even with using a cheap SPDIF coax between the HA unit and Bimby. Of course, Bimby doesn't have a BNC or AES/EBU input, so I think the HA unit is adequate for me for now, but the SU-1 with its AES/EBU output should be capable of sending you to even great heights.

You certainly won't be needing this, but I wish you happy listening)))

May 20, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #2,479 of 11,472
Congratulations on the Yggy. I also own one.

The Yggy needs time to thermally stabilize (see your included manual), basically over the course of a week or so. Do not turn it off. If you think you like it now, you haven't heard anything yet. It will start to become spooky real by about the fourth day. I firmly remember noticing the DAC was almost two different personalities in one from days two to three, where you had the real Yggy beginning to emerge from the cold body of its initial self. The Yggy shines with just the music you seem to post here; it is a fantastic, reference-level DAC with real world instruments and voices. I have little doubt it pairs well with your Euforia.

As for the HD800, it is an incredibly resolving and spacious, yet polarizing and picky headphone. It is arguably more technically superior to the T1, but you will find it will expose everything wrong with poorly mastered recordings. For those that you find do well with the HD800, be prepared to be absolutely blown away. On the right chain and with the right music, not even the Utopia has blown me away like the HD800 has. I would highly suggest contacting sorrodje for a very affordable physical mod to attenuate its peak at 6khz. The HD800S includes essentially the same thing, but it adds second-order distortion to the bass that the original HD800 does not have, making the original more accurate. If you need help securing this from sorrodje, PM me. It is an essential mod IMO. He is usually more than happy to hook people up. See Tyll's innerfidelity article on the HD800S for an official mention of sorrodje's mod.

Thanks LJ. Invaluable advice. Much appreciated. My progress in head-fi have been influenced by the path you have taken. First the La Figaro 339 now the Yggy. These are significant upgrades and totally worth it for someone really keen on listening to music. Particularly this Yggy. At 3am, I am suddenly aware that my headphone system becomes so quiet in the soft passages. It's pitch black and that makes the musical notes stand out so clearly in contrast. I'm going through my flac albums and I want to hear them all again because now they sound different. :o2smile:

I'll keep my Yggy powered on all the time. My only regret is that in my haste to set it up, I didn't use my Belkin anti-surge power board. I should have yank that off the TV. Head-fi has made my TV pretty redundant now because I'm listening to music all the time. :o2smile:

Oh yeah I'll PM you to talk about that mod. I just want to listen to HD800 as it is first so I can appreciate the difference when the mod goes in. Just strap on my modded HD650 and my oh my. Did they say this headphone scale well? All this while I thought it's only the amp but now I can hear what a difference a DAC upgrade makes. Still early days and the Yggy is still warming up but already it is sounding so good.

May 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,480 of 11,472
Congrats is is order....wonderful set -up indeed.

Thanks WW. It's a bit extravagant but a new dac and headphone injected into the system makes a big difference. All this new sound I'm hearing now are attributed to both the HD800, Yggy and Euforia combining so well. Now if only I hadn't been so caught up with buying tubes for the past 1 year and have made the plunge for these instead. It's not too late !!!

Oh as I was walking out of the store, the salesman says, 'Now that you have the best DAC and revealing headphone, the only upgrades you need now are better Nordost RCA and Cardas headphone cables'. I think he's pretty evil. I will stay with my bare wire.

May 20, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,481 of 11,472
@UntilThen There is no doubt you have catapulted yourself into owning one of the finest high end headphone systems in the world. That's very appropriate, as I don't know another non-professional HeadFi member who has contributed more than you to helping people, providing invaluable information and generating the excitement many of us feel for our hobby.

Obviously, you know the critical importance of allowing Yiggy to settle in over the next week and keeping it on full time 24/7 from now on, and you know that the best still awaits you. At some point in the future you no doubt will be tempted to upgrade to a fully balanced system, and I suspect with the satisfaction you will experience with Yiggy that the Rag may be on your short list. I myself am skeptical about the benefit of balanced circuitry in the desktop setting, but Schiit knows far more than I do, and they obviously feel it can be beneficial.

II suspect that by running Yiggy with Euforia you will be experiencing magic that very few HeadFi members have ever come close to enjoying. Euforia, with its special combination of detail retrieval coupled with a tonal balance that is unique and addictive shares much with the Schiit multibit DACs. So you are now at the outset of an entirely new adventure that I'm sure many of us will be following closely.

And I'm sure that as good as Yiggy will perform with a straight USB connection from your PC, it will probably reach an entirely new level if you take advantage of its AES/EBU input with something like this: https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxersu1black/

Two days ago I received this: https://kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudio-xeme2ve-usb-to-spdif-digital-interface/ I immediately noticed an improvement when I inserted it between my powered USB3 hub and Bimby. But the Kitsune website makes a point of praising the advantage of the units' USB 3 input. I didn't have the right USB3 cable on the first day, but yesterday I swapped in a cheap USB3 cable and the improvement was dramatic, even with using a cheap SPDIF coax between the HA unit and Bimby. Of course, Bimby doesn't have a BNC or AES/EBU input, so I think the HA unit is adequate for me for now, but the SU-1 with its AES/EBU output should be capable of sending you to even great heights.

You certainly won't be needing this, but I wish you happy listening)))

You mean my money has catapulted out of my wallet? This is a dangerous hobby and I can only blame @hypnos1 for coming on and talking about his Naim Too Cute and Power conditioner.... and his yet to arrived Hugo 2 !!!

I'm sure I'll be tempted with the different connections to Yggy that you mentioned but hey I'll stay with USB3 for a bit I guess. The Singxer SU-1 and Uptone Regen can wait! Can you get a USB3 cable? because my PC has USB3 output ports and hdmi and optical out. Can you link your USB3 cable.

Don't worry I won't power Yggy off. I told my little doggy that he is not to pull the power cord. And my wife came into the study to talk to me but she wasn't aware of the new gear ..... the Yggy and HD800 must be pretty unobtrusive. :nerd:

May 20, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #2,482 of 11,472
This is USB 3 cable I got for my HA unit: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH144GK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It would fit SU-1 but I don't think it necessary for SU-1 or any other decrapifier other than the HA unit that I know of because I think all the rest are just USB 2.

Don't know why all of a sudden, without asking me, all my digits are now small (((((

Edit: Also should probably mention that with something like the HA unit or any other similar device that doesn't have its own power supply but derives its power from the USB cable it is probably best to run it off a powered USB hub.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,484 of 11,472
This is USB 3 cable I got for my HA unit: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH144GK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It would fit SU-1 but I don't think it necessary for SU-1 or any other decrapifier other than the HA unit that I know of because I think all the rest are just USB 2.

Don't know why all of a sudden, without asking me, all my digits are now small (((((

Edit: Also should probably mention that with something like the HA unit or any other similar device that doesn't have its own power supply but derives its power from the USB cable it is probably best to run it off a powered USB hub.

No I want to use the USB3 cable straight into Yggy because Yggy USB input is USB3 but that head don't look like it will fit - Yggy's USB input is just the USB A to B input.

May 20, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,485 of 11,472
I have done a lot of unscrupulous things in my life, but would never mess with his digits!

May 20, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2,486 of 11,472
by the way pct, UT cannot use that usb cable with his unit. The smile logo is on the wrong cable end.

May 20, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,487 of 11,472

The Schiit Wyrd will do that right? Or ifi USB power? More gadgets !

May 20, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2,488 of 11,472
by the way pct, UT cannot use that usb cable with his unit. The smile logo is on the wrong cable end.

That's right. Yggy's USB connection is USB 2.0 female but it's supposed to be USB 3.0 ..... so how am I going to get USB 3 in it? I need Sherlock Homes

71fX9dOjj4L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,489 of 11,472
News flash. At 4:49am on a Sunday morning in Sydney, the Sound of Silence became so real. This Yggy is slowly waking up after 8 hours.

By the way this song was written on a Wednesday morning 3am 1963 by Paul Simon.... 3 months after JFK assassination (the saddest point in history). Just imagine if he had a Yggy it would have sounded so much better !

May 20, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,490 of 11,472
UT, was just looking at the Schiit website, that dac is nice looking. Specs are great, what color did you get? If I got one would have to make that determination, more decissions !
Website shows out of stock too, just when I was going to pull the trigger!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back