Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
May 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,097 of 3,428

Or you can have Glenn custom build a C3g OTL for considerably less than $2k.
smily_headphones1.gif

What does the amp cost? It looks great.

Basic amp $650
The one you see has the C3g mod - 6SN7,12SN7,25SN7 mod- 5998 mod these mods are $100 each.

May 7, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,101 of 3,428

At some point I might start making C3g adapters for the Elise not enough out there yet to make it worth my while.
I have already started making them for the WA-5 with good results.

Would't it be the same exact adapters for the Elise and WA-5 as both use 6SN7's?

No they will be different WA5 has the sockets wired diferent 

May 7, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #1,102 of 3,428
  The Glenn amp sure looks nice...but what is a realistic time frame? - the Elise (admittedly not C3g) is 4 to 5 weeks...
wink.gif

The Elise is mass-produced, albeit by a small boutique manufacturer, in a predetermined configuration with defined features. It is my understanding from others that they are considering a C3g Elise, but likely this will be dependent on demand.

The Glenn is custom-made by hand. One may specify such things as capacitors, transformers, pots, 4pin XLR or 1/4", the number and kinds of sockets, and so on. Again, it is custom made for each customer. And therefore, of course such an amp takes more time to build.

But this is the Feliks thread, not the Glenn thread, so I will not speak of this again.....

May 9, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #1,104 of 3,428
As the Elise uses the 6SN7 as drivers, not C3g, I would like to try to push this thread back on track....

Since I can roll C3g and 6SN7 in the same amp, with the same power tubes and the same regulator, it is very easy for me to compare them. And it is my opinion that the C3g is not the super tube that some would have you believe. Yes, it is superb, but so are many of the 6SN7. While it is true that C3g has better resolution than any 6SN7, personally, I find the difference to be very small. (But then, I am not a detail freak. :) And further, again in my opinion, tonality, imaging and space are just as important, if not more so. It had been quite some time since I last rolled a Tung-Sol RPBG 6SN7GT, and therefore decided to spend a couple hours with it this evening. The tonality of this tube is superb, vocals sound very natural to me, and the sense of imaging and space is second to none. I will choose this TS over a Siemens C3g every time.

Of course, everyone has different ears and different gear, so I am not suggesting that everyone will prefer a given 6SN7 over the C3g. What I am suggesting is that when the C3g is compared head-to-head with the many double triodes one can roll in the Elise, it is just one of many excellent choices.

And I wish to remind you that after you roll through several hundred 6SN7, there are also 6F8G, E88CC, E182CC, E80CC, among others, which require only simple pin-adapters to allow their use in a 6SN7 socket. The last two, E182CC and E80CC, favorites of mine, are 10,000 hour ultra-premium tubes with lower distortion and better linearity than a C3g.

Have fun! :)

May 9, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #1,105 of 3,428
  As the Elise uses the 6SN7 as drivers, not C3g, I would like to try to push this thread back on track....

Since I can roll C3g and 6SN7 in the same amp, with the same power tubes and the same regulator, it is very easy for me to compare them. And it is my opinion that the C3g is not the super tube that some would have you believe. Yes, it is superb, but so are many of the 6SN7. While it is true that C3g has better resolution than any 6SN7, personally, I find the difference to be very small. (But then, I am not a detail freak. :) And further, again in my opinion, tonality, imaging and space are just as important, if not more so. It had been quite some time since I last rolled a Tung-Sol RPBG 6SN7GT, and therefore decided to spend a couple hours with it this evening. The tonality of this tube is superb, vocals sound very natural to me, and the sense of imaging and space is second to none. I will choose this TS over a Siemens C3g every time.

Of course, everyone has different ears and different gear, so I am not suggesting that everyone will prefer a given 6SN7 over the C3g. What I am suggesting is that when the C3g is compared head-to-head with the many double triodes one can roll in the Elise, it is just one of many excellent choices.

And I wish to remind you that after you roll through several hundred 6SN7, there are also 6F8G, E88CC, E182CC, E80CC, among others, which require only simple pin-adapters to allow their use in a 6SN7 socket. The last two, E182CC and E80CC, favorites of mine, are 10,000 hour ultra-premium tubes with lower distortion and better linearity than a C3g.

Have fun! :)

You are right of course, g...no 1 tube by any means is going to appear/appeal the same to everyone. And there is certainly a bewildering array to choose from (thank goodness!).

But there is also one major factor that has to be taken into account here - COST!... I only wish I could afford hard-to-find NOS TS 6SN7GT BGRPs - $300 to $400 (and more sometimes!) a pair...and even (risky) 'good' used ones are very expensive, if you can find them. I would have loved to see how they compare in my Elise - I can only hope a fellow owner is lucky enough to possess these beauties to give some impressions!

So there is a long journey ahead for people to find their own favourite companions to their Elise...but luckily even more modest tubes perform extremely well indeed...
biggrin.gif

I'm sure others will have just as much fun as I... (and you with your Glenn - although I doubt there are many with such a vast tube collection as yourself, g!! 
wink.gif
).

Cheers!

May 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #1,106 of 3,428
I assure you that I have never spent $150 to $200 for any single tube, much less twice that for a pair. I have 5 of these TS and I have not paid more than $50 each. Now, I have no problems purchasing used tubes that test good. Once a tube is burned in, it sounds the same for at least several thousand hours, so why pay a premium for NOS/NIB? Further, I look for rebrands. Late one night I got very lucky and grabbed an "RCA" branded TS for $15 from a seller who didn't know what he had. :)  A Tung-Sol RPBG with an Emerson label or an RCA label sounds identical to one with a Tung-Sol label.  

So my advice, don't worry about NOS/NIB and don't worry about matched pairs. As long as you can find two that test strong, they will make a fine pair. And learn how to recognize the tubes you want by their construction so you can pounce on rebrands when you see them. And have fun! :)

May 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,107 of 3,428

You are right of course, g...no 1 tube by any means is going to appear/appeal the same to everyone. And there is certainly a bewildering array to choose from (thank goodness!).

But there is also one major factor that has to be taken into account here - COST!... I only wish I could afford hard-to-find NOS TS 6SN7GT BGRPs - $300 to $400 (and more sometimes!) a pair...and even (risky) 'good' used ones are very expensive, if you can find them. I would have loved to see how they compare in my Elise - I can only hope a fellow owner is lucky enough to possess these beauties to give some impressions!

So there is a long journey ahead for people to find their own favourite companions to their Elise...but luckily even more modest tubes perform extremely well indeed...
biggrin.gif

I'm sure others will have just as much fun as I... (and you with your Glenn - although I doubt there are many with such a vast tube collection as yourself, g!! 
wink.gif
).

Cheers!

I assure you that I have never spent $150 to $200 for any single tube, much less twice that for a pair. I have 5 of these TS and I have not paid more than $50 each. Now, I have no problems purchasing used tubes that test good. Once a tube is burned in, it sounds the same for at least several thousand hours, so why pay a premium for NOS/NIB? Further, I look for rebrands. Late one night I got very lucky and grabbed an "RCA" branded TS for $15 from a seller who didn't know what he had. :)  A Tung-Sol RPBG with an Emerson label or an RCA label sounds identical to one with a Tung-Sol label.  

So my advice, don't worry about NOS/NIB and don't worry about matched pairs. As long as you can find two that test strong, they will make a fine pair. And learn how to recognize the tubes you want by their construction so you can pounce on rebrands when you see them. And have fun! :)

I think both of you have good points here. In order to achieve a synthesis of these, IMO there are two points to consider: 1) Personal preference of signature 2) Dedication to tube rolling. If you happen to love the C3G signature, this is probably the best bang for the buck tube on an excellent level. If you you prefer other signatures (richer, bassier, more transients...) and/or your magic of using a tube amp is in exploring the variation of sound (*how will that one sound...curious smile*), then you will never be satisfied with a pair of C3Gs or any other excellent 6SN7.
We all have different wallets and preferences.

Besides, IMO if you are having fun trying lots of different tubes, you may want to make sure that the quality of the power you are using gets the best out of them. The PowerInspired AG500 regenerator is available for about $375 in the version allowing to control fan speed and it is dead silent at 75% fan speed, an excellent unit, unbeatable price/value ratio and costs the price of 2 to 4 high end 6SN7 tube pairs...

May 9, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,108 of 3,428

Hi again g.

I wish I had your faith in used tubes - you have done well indeed to get good BGRPs for that kind of money. There seem to be a good few 'dodgy' tubes out there these days...we live in different times now to even just a few years ago, lol!  A perusal of different threads indicates I am not the only one to have had 'near death' experiences with so-called 'good' tubes. When I only had the HD650s to possibly sacrifice I wasn't so paranoid, but now with the T1s I will never take such chances again I'm afraid. This will obviously limit drastically my choice of tubes, but at least now I can sleep a bit more soundly at nights!! I am obviously now not such an inveterate/dedicated tube roller...I shall leave that to those braver/luckier than I...I am content...
tongue.gif

May 9, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,109 of 3,428

I wish I had your faith in used tubes - you have done well indeed to get good BGRPs for that kind of money. There seem to be a good few 'dodgy' tubes out there these days...we live in different times now to even just a few years ago, lol!  A perusal of different threads indicates I am not the only one to have had 'near death' experiences with so-called 'good' tubes. When I only had the HD650s to possibly sacrifice I wasn't so paranoid, but now with the T1s I will never take such chances again I'm afraid. This will obviously limit drastically my choice of tubes, but at least now I can sleep a bit more soundly at nights!! I am obviously now not such an inveterate/dedicated tube roller...I shall leave that to those braver/luckier than I...I am content...
tongue.gif

For power tubes, this is true. A shorted power tube can indeed take out your headphones and even damage your hearing. Typically, if power tubes are going to fail, they do so when power is applied and during warm up. As a general rule, I wait 5 minutes after turning the amp on before I connect the headphones. This gives them time to stabilize (or fail). On the other hand, if a driver fails, the risk is negligible. Usually, the tube just shuts down. So I believe that purchasing a used pair of GEC 6AS7 is much more likely to take out your T1s than a used pair of 6SN7....

And very frankly, brand new tubes can fail too. NOS/NIB is no guarantee that they are good. In fact, one could argue that a lightly used tube has been tested under fire and passed. :)

May 9, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #1,110 of 3,428

tongue.gif

For power tubes, this is true. A shorted power tube can indeed take out your headphones and even damage your hearing. Typically, if power tubes are going to fail, they do so when power is applied and during warm up. As a general rule, I wait 5 minutes after turning the amp on before I connect the headphones. This gives them time to stabilize. On the other hand, if a driver fails, the risk is negligible. Usually, the tube just shuts down. So I believe that purchasing a used pair of GEC 6AS7 is much more likely to take out your T1s than a used pair of 6SN7....

And very frankly, brand new tubes can fail too. NOS/NIB is no guarantee that they are good. In fact, one could argue that a lightly used tube has been tested under fire and passed. :)

Same here always warm up amp before i plug in HP and if i leave for a few minutes i always unplug HP you never know .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back