Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Oct 7, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #182 of 3,428

So then, if both 6SN7 triodes are used, the single anode of the C3g can feed the two?...Certainly would make my job MUCH easier!

Glenn's suggestion was to ask Feliks to add two loctal sockets. Doing so would give you the same arrangement you have now in your LD, that is, one C3g per side.

Otherwise, you have to use the existing two 6SN7 sockets. It is my understanding that as each of these sockets is wired to use both triodes in a 6SN7, you will have to use two C3g's per socket....  for a total of four..... but have no idea how well that would work though....

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #183 of 3,428

Glenn's suggestion was to ask Feliks to add two loctal sockets. Doing so would give you the same arrangement you have now in your LD, that is, one C3g per side.

Otherwise, you have to use the existing two 6SN7 sockets. It is my understanding that as each of these sockets is wired to use both triodes in a 6SN7, you will have to use two C3g's per socket....  for a total of four..... but have no idea how well that would work though....

Hi g.

Given the heated discussions Lukasz had with his team to action the last alterations at this stage, I'm afraid I'm not even going there, lol!!..
eek.gif

I'm hoping Glenn will say I could wire the C3g's single cathode and anode to BOTH triode connections in the socket!...is that not at all feasible?...

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #185 of 3,428

Hi g.

Given the heated discussions Lukasz had with his team to action the last alterations at this stage, I'm afraid I'm not even going there, lol!!..
eek.gif

I'm hoping Glenn will say I could wire the C3g's single cathode and anode to BOTH triode connections in the socket!...is that not at all feasible?...

We will have to wait for Glenn to comment, as I certainly do not know......

I  am surprised that the discussions got heated in the first place. After all it is the end users that will be providing the company the profit or salaries.

The sooner they can finalize the design, the sooner they can ship. And with Hypnos1 and others wanting it NOW!, they are trying to get a finished product out the door as soon as possible. So it makes perfect sense to me that there would be considerable internal resistance from the production team to any last minute requests and/or changes.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #186 of 3,428

Hi g.

eek.gif

We will have to wait for Glenn to comment, as I certainly do not know......

I  am surprised that the discussions got heated in the first place. After all it is the end users that will be providing the company the profit or salaries.

The sooner they can finalize the design, the sooner they can ship. And with Hypnos1 and others wanting it NOW!, they are trying to get a finished product out the door as soon as possible. So it makes perfect sense to me that there would be considerable internal resistance from the production team to any last minute requests and/or changes.

It could be possable if they have the two halfs of the 6SN7 in series one driving the other.
To hook the grid of the C3g to where the grid of the first 1/2 of the 6SN7, and the plate
and cathode to the 2nd 1/2. This would also phase it correctly like it only used 1/2 of the 6SN7
for each channel. + sound better then a 6SN7 too.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #187 of 3,428

Aah that things could be that simple when bringing a new product to market, j57...we can only guess at just what is involved...especially given the time frame... gibosi's words are spot on, methinks! There is more than just one person who has to be convinced/cajoled at any stage of production - I sure wouldn't want Lukasz's job, lol!!

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #188 of 3,428

It could be possable if they have the two halfs of the 6SN7 in series one driving the other.
To hook the grid of the C3g to where the grid of the first 1/2 of the 6SN7, and the plate
and cathode to the 2nd 1/2. This would also phase it correctly like it only used 1/2 of the 6SN7

Hi 2359glenn.

Many thanks for your expert advice - much appreciated...now I need to try and prise their R&D secrets out of them! (Do you think the double-C3g  would be a viable option at all, or is that too much gain?).

Just look at me, folks...haven't even got my hands on the darned thing and already I'm talking about possible-2yr warranty-invalidation!!...Let this be a timely warning to those contemplating tube-rolling - this pastime can be totally addictive, and drive you (almost) totally insane!
blink.gif

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #189 of 3,428

Hi 2359glenn.

Many thanks for your expert advice - much appreciated...now I need to try and prise their R&D secrets out of them! (Do you think the double-C3g  would be a viable option at all, or is that too much gain?).

A C3g will have about the same gain as two 1/2s of a 6SN7
If there is a will there is a way.
C3 tubes are strong enough to drive headphones by them selves
Yamamoto has the HA-3 headphone amp and it just uses two C3m tubes
The C3m is similar but has a 20 volt heater.
I was going to build a amp with two C3m tubes have the output transformers.
But no time have to many amps to build.

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #190 of 3,428
  A C3g will have about the same gain as two 1/2s of a 6SN7
If there is a will there is a way.
C3 tubes are strong enough to drive headphones by them selves
Yamamoto has the HA-3 headphone amp and it just uses two C3m tubes
The C3m is similar but has a 20 volt heater.
I was going to build a amp with two C3m tubes have the output transformers.
But no time have to many amps to build.

Thx 2359glenn....this is obviously something for the backburner - but I so love my C3gSs! I shall just be optimistic and hope that the Elise design and quality will help my PsVane CV181T-IIs (or my VT231s) at least approach them - I have to be realistic about these matters, lol! And, of course, the variety of 6SN7s will provide a greater flexibility in fine-tuning one's own particular preferences...hence my original suggestion to the Feliks-Audio guys to use them.

Glad to hear you're being kept nice and busy!...

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #191 of 3,428
A RECOMMENDATION to all those seriously interested in the 'Elise'...if you don't already have your favourite 6SN7s and/or 6AS7G/6080s, I strongly suggest you do your homework now and scour the relevant threads, so you can be keeping your eyes on the tubes that are about - perhaps following mordy's advice a while back on how to go about hunting down the best deals.

There is plenty of good information/advice/guidance on threads such as '6SN7 tube addicts'; 'The Reference 6SN7 thread'; 'For 6AS7G rollers here', for example. Plus more at head-fi here, or on the net via Google search, of course - you can't get too many different peoples' opinions, in my book!

Mid-Nov. seems SO far away...patience, patience 
redface.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #192 of 3,428
Well i just couldnt wait got myself a little Woo Audio 3 hard to pass up a proven amp.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #193 of 3,428
  Well i just couldnt wait got myself a little Woo Audio 3 hard to pass up a proven amp.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Oh ye of little patience, m! 
wink.gif

Must admit she looks a nice cutie...but I myself am not going to just 1 power tube, after what 2 6AS7Gs do for my LD MKIVSE - and certainly not for those with low-impedance cans, I should think, lol!

And what drivers can you play with in her?...

Whatever, I wish you both all the very best!!  
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #194 of 3,428

Please share your impressions with the HD800 :)

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #195 of 3,428

Oh ye of little patience, m! 
wink.gif

Must admit she looks a nice cutie...but I myself am not going to just 1 power tube, after what 2 6AS7Gs do for my LD MKIVSE - and certainly not for those with low-impedance cans, I should think, lol!

And what drivers can you play with in her?...

Whatever, I wish you both all the very best!!  
tongue.gif

Having choices is always fun for 2- 6AS7 got the  WA2 for low impedance got the Conductor and as for drivers with the WA3 you can use  6DJ8 types and with adapters 6SN7 and i am still using my trusty MK3 for the rest , so i guess im covered 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back