Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Apr 18, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #13,801 of 13,846
Hi everyone! I have a new Elise MK2 on the way to sit next to my Burson Conductor 3P and pair with my Focal OG Clears. I'm new to tube rolling so still trying to wrap my head around which tubes would be best for my headphones. Based on what I've been reading, I ordered a set of Tung Sol 5998s as power tubes and I am currently thinking about pulling the trigger on purchasing driver tubes until I hear the setup.

For when and if I decide to change out the stock driver tubes, is there a pair of tubes that is recommended with the Tung Sol 5998s? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #13,802 of 13,846
Hi everyone! I have a new Elise MK2 on the way to sit next to my Burson Conductor 3P and pair with my Focal OG Clears. I'm new to tube rolling so still trying to wrap my head around which tubes would be best for my headphones. Based on what I've been reading, I ordered a set of Tung Sol 5998s as power tubes and I am currently thinking about pulling the trigger on purchasing driver tubes until I hear the setup.

For when and if I decide to change out the stock driver tubes, is there a pair of tubes that is recommended with the Tung Sol 5998s? Thanks for the help!
Personal favourites with the 5998 were Marconi 6SN7GT's and RCA 5692's

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #13,804 of 13,846
hello elise owners! please describe what kind of headphones you use, I'm very interested.
High impedance drynamic/ planar headphones. ZMFs mostly.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #13,806 of 13,846
Apr 27, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #13,808 of 13,846
Anyone using the Meze Empyrean or Elite with the Elise? I’ve been intrigued to try one of these headphones and wondering if it plays nice with the Elise. I read a review where they used both on the Envy and they preferred the Empyrean on that amp.

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #13,809 of 13,846
Anyone using the Meze Empyrean or Elite with the Elise? I’ve been intrigued to try one of these headphones and wondering if it plays nice with the Elise. I read a review where they used both on the Envy and they preferred the Empyrean on that amp.

Thanks!
otl works best with high impedance (100+) dynamic headphones.

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #13,810 of 13,846
otl works best with high impedance (100+) dynamic headphones.
That’s true but Feliks Amps are rated down to 32ohm and are known to work well with some planars. I’ve used the HFM HE1000v2 and sounds great on my Elise.

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #13,811 of 13,846
That’s true but Feliks Amps are rated down to 32ohm and are known to work well with some planars. I’ve used the HFM HE1000v2 and sounds great on my Elise.
liking something is different, and how much it is used. elise, euforia really shows what it can do when you connect a 100+ ohm dynamic head to it.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #13,812 of 13,846

Thanks!
I was using Empyrean on Elise. They played fine, but I didn't feel there was any added value to the sound. Of course you can change the tubes and you can hear the difference, but the impression remains that the Empyreans want to play in their own way.
As a dac I had the RME ADI-2 DAC and finally it seemed to me that I prefer to connect them directly to the RME.

However, it is different story with dynamic headphones. For example, HD800S or Verite, you can already feel how many subtleties Elise brings. Here you discover the charm of an OTL amp.
But low ohms HP like the Fostex th900 don't match and you can hear sonic distortion. It's worth remembering.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #13,813 of 13,846
Now I have the Final D8Kpro LE and here is a better match with the Elise, they sound better. And the Final is more willing to take a little warm from the Elise. So it depends a lot on the type of headphones. Some planar headphones will fit better.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #13,814 of 13,846
I was using Empyrean on Elise. They played fine, but I didn't feel there was any added value to the sound. Of course you can change the tubes and you can hear the difference, but the impression remains that the Empyreans want to play in their own way.
As a dac I had the RME ADI-2 DAC and finally it seemed to me that I prefer to connect them directly to the RME.

However, it is different story with dynamic headphones. For example, HD800S or Verite, you can already feel how many subtleties Elise brings. Here you discover the charm of an OTL amp.
But low ohms HP like the Fostex th900 don't match and you can hear sonic distortion. It's worth remembering.
this is so true.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #13,815 of 13,846

Thanks for this. I have the Zmf atrium and they are incredible w the Elise. I had the HFM 1000s and much preferred the sound of them on the Elise over my SS amp (Burson soloist). Im itchin for a new toy and looking at headphones. Also toying w a Chord Hugo tt2. I’ve been intrigued to hear Meze. I guess if I tired them, I’d have to see if I liked them on my Elise or just use on Burson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back