Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #13,772 of 13,846
Hello more experienced tube folks that me!

I acquired a used Elise a few weeks ago and LOVING it so far with stock tubes. Previous owner had adaptors to use KT88s and highly suggested this set up with ZMF Atriums. I have 8 Gold Lion KT88 tubes from when I had a Cary speaker amp in the past. I would buy a quad and when one blew, I'd replace them all so left me with a bunch of partially used tubes. I ordered adapters to give them a try and had a couple questions by some more knowledgable then me.

1. The tubes have been sitting in a drawer without boxes. Some of them have a slight bit of what I assume is corrosion where the metal base meets the glass. It's a white powder. I haven't tried yet but looks like it would wipe off easily and just a little bit. Should I avoid using these or just wipe them off and go for it?
2. I used a method I found online to see if tubes are ok by using a multimeter and touching the the pins to assure only the heater pins give signal. If they pass this test, are they safe to use?
3. Lastly, do I need to worry about them being "matched" in some way or just grab two of them and put them in? I don't have any other equipment to check them.

Thanks!!!
Mike

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #13,773 of 13,846
Can anyone confirm to me that 6N8S can be swapped with 6SN7 directly (without adapters)?

I've seen it mentioned on the forum. But they are not listed in the Elise specification.
I found an interesting 6SN7 GTB to buy, but I want to make sure first.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #13,774 of 13,846
Can anyone confirm to me that 6N8S can be swapped with 6SN7 directly (without adapters)?

I've seen it mentioned on the forum. But they are not listed in the Elise specification.
I found an interesting 6SN7 GTB to buy, but I want to make sure first.
6N8S is the same as 6H8C and is a direct replacement for 6SN7GT.

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #13,777 of 13,846
Curious there is any way to tell if the Elise is a MK1 or 2? Im buying a used one and it came with different tubes than the stock one so not sure how to tell
I believe it has to do with the serial number. However, when I bought my Elise mk2, it never came with any markings but it's from upscale audio so I know it's legit. You might wanna contact the previous owner

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #13,778 of 13,846
I believe it has to do with the serial number. However, when I bought my Elise mk2, it never came with any markings but it's from upscale audio so I know it's legit. You might wanna contact the previous owner
Previous owner isnt OG owner also so no dice lol. Either way I think @mordy said mk1 works fine with no problems so I guess I should just go with the cheapest one I can find?

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #13,779 of 13,846
Previous owner isnt OG owner also so no dice lol. Either way I think @mordy said mk1 works fine with no problems so I guess I should just go with the cheapest one I can find?
I have Elise mk1 along with Euforia mk1 and at times with certain tube combinations the Elise is my preferred listen. I'm sure there is very little difference audio wise between mk1 and 2.

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #13,782 of 13,846
I have Elise mk1 along with Euforia mk1 and at times with certain tube combinations the Elise is my preferred listen. I'm sure there is very little difference audio wise between mk1 and 2.
Yeah I think they made some minor upgrades just curious since there seems to be little indications between the versions even with the Echo as well. Was looking at the Echo 1 and 2.

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #13,783 of 13,846
The biggest difference between the mk1 and mk2 is the power supply. The power (allegedly) is cleaner in the mk2. Other than that, I can't distinguish any difference between the two. I have owned both

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #13,784 of 13,846
Apr 1, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #13,785 of 13,846
Yes, on the top.
Photos and video reviews of earlier models had oval shape. Not sure, maybe it's possible that the first mk2 also has an oval logo. My unit, 2 months old, has already a round logo.
Thanks for the input. The round logo is certainly a mk ii for sure, but some mk ii reviews that I saw also still have the oval logo so it could be both I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back