FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #946 of 5,204
i'm more interested in that case... they're really changing it up over time, eh?

also, here's another cable + S8 pic. really showing off the Long and Powerful stem.

K3VXIygWmmW57sNUkX8pYpSIt3mPsnRUw_RQ0ow4PiYMFh7cxbvKxhv3zIj4VIaKAPVMi_OYr5hX6qvMh8eHTrx2pe4L4HQxZQuIw-pzoXZHpI01ASmD1MZSKQS9HCvDXukAPkOywrs5wmW-s9DjZ8Cjx5RQT8yQGnkduHXmw4x96ERuyK1cgs0d6pAsk5dk3Qu5tk7mwwI0WByAwhxOVc0OuuW0Z4hUkfSZnIYIuwUtrLRAbY7GWQ3jFdh9YzcuYRhMN82-y28eKwvxaUV-1bmnZ5vJvCL3YmUTNXbGGN-ywxxtAaJ4AUTKWi2Ht8509T25P8T0K1qh3Cblk7hN9YNqnO8OGbzNI2l_p8ApXhL2yU58sOYl009zdKPTh31xaz1jd2TL9H-E9ay9YRLzw8L8cFp6jM7I-sNjcgo-f2e_p_DCIqiFuF2Yj4kpYlMyEhF9KK0V2Bna-PojOYLpnt2zopBMnKaQuC-AtrBpu63wPsIIrYYXKILgTZpbULQO-gsgFS5BcxUQnZdYPSnCtkMOqhUGjvxExerVeoeyX8WptveLWSJfMGHV2XwVmWm8MhfcAwPewF2UVeGaWUyEdm5nVTQ4l544J1K6Q4Aqdx9-o7HqXa-JFIFGcsB2xsio2O_62zcYxHIBUQfG0A7lWOdkgnlQzhtM=w669-h892-no

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #947 of 5,204
i'm more interested in that case... they're really changing it up over time, eh?

also, here's another cable + S8 pic. really showing off the Long and Powerful stem.

K3VXIygWmmW57sNUkX8pYpSIt3mPsnRUw_RQ0ow4PiYMFh7cxbvKxhv3zIj4VIaKAPVMi_OYr5hX6qvMh8eHTrx2pe4L4HQxZQuIw-pzoXZHpI01ASmD1MZSKQS9HCvDXukAPkOywrs5wmW-s9DjZ8Cjx5RQT8yQGnkduHXmw4x96ERuyK1cgs0d6pAsk5dk3Qu5tk7mwwI0WByAwhxOVc0OuuW0Z4hUkfSZnIYIuwUtrLRAbY7GWQ3jFdh9YzcuYRhMN82-y28eKwvxaUV-1bmnZ5vJvCL3YmUTNXbGGN-ywxxtAaJ4AUTKWi2Ht8509T25P8T0K1qh3Cblk7hN9YNqnO8OGbzNI2l_p8ApXhL2yU58sOYl009zdKPTh31xaz1jd2TL9H-E9ay9YRLzw8L8cFp6jM7I-sNjcgo-f2e_p_DCIqiFuF2Yj4kpYlMyEhF9KK0V2Bna-PojOYLpnt2zopBMnKaQuC-AtrBpu63wPsIIrYYXKILgTZpbULQO-gsgFS5BcxUQnZdYPSnCtkMOqhUGjvxExerVeoeyX8WptveLWSJfMGHV2XwVmWm8MhfcAwPewF2UVeGaWUyEdm5nVTQ4l544J1K6Q4Aqdx9-o7HqXa-JFIFGcsB2xsio2O_62zcYxHIBUQfG0A7lWOdkgnlQzhtM=w669-h892-no
i i want that case

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #948 of 5,204
some more pics
IMG_20190328_164113935_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20190328_164152369_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20190328_164058773_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20190328_164409887_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20190328_164015200_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #949 of 5,204
Tip suggestions guys? The base tip gives me a good seal but it gives it anemic bass. I swapped them out for complys (i forgot which one) and the bass woke up. I'm sure there are better options out there.

Sound impression: details galore with LUSH mids for me. This is my ideal sound signature. Tho I am running it with the audioengine d1 dac and iirc this dac is considered bright

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #950 of 5,204
Tip suggestions guys? The base tip gives me a good seal but it gives it anemic bass. I swapped them out for complys (i forgot which one) and the bass woke up. I'm sure there are better options out there.

Sound impression: details galore with LUSH mids for me. This is my ideal sound signature. Tho I am running it with the audioengine d1 dac and iirc this dac is considered bright
Your case , even in this blue , looks much better then these plastic cases ....
wonder what mine will come with :D

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #951 of 5,204

I like these a lot, personally.

Also that packaging even modulo the case is much nicer than mine, not that it matters a ton :)

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #952 of 5,204
Your case , even in this blue , looks much better then these plastic cases ....
wonder what mine will come with :D

i dont like it lol

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #953 of 5,204

I've landed on Comply 500 isolation or the smartcores. The isolations without the filter are best, and you can push them all the way on the stem with no overrun.

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #955 of 5,204
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #956 of 5,204
Cool case honestly. Hope mine come with that. I’ve got a pelican case mounted to my pedalboard so got that aspect covered. The embossed case is solid touch.

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #957 of 5,204
finally got mine. they are gorgeous!!! and small.. i thought it would be bigger but nope.. they are the perfect size!

i didnt like the color of the case (powder blue) ugh!

the faceplate i chose were the best. they shimmer in different angles. it is so gorgeous and i think its well beyond the actual price. worth it! soubd impressions later since i didnt bring any of my daps

sorry for picspam

It's very interesting they continue to change case/packaging.

From black metal tin round case (Oriolus MKII) ---> black plastic case (64 Audio) ---> blue suede case (Fearless ?)

My personal favorite is Campfire Audio leather case. Maybe they can try it next :laughing:

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #958 of 5,204
Updated impressions after finding right tips. Initial impressions were taken with the stock foams (not enough bass) and Comply 500 Comfort Mediums (congested bass, lower mids, more V-shaped).

Updated impressions taken with Comply T-500 (right balance of bass, lower mids, improved "air"
Initial impressions

Source: LG G7 ThinQ (Quad DAC on, preset: Normal)
IEMs: Fearless S8 Pro

Adam Watts World War Three (feat, iRussi) [DAC filter- slow]
Supernatural detail. Very clean, clear. Organic. The vocals on this song can struggle for balance, clarity. The S8 Pro has a very clean presentation, female vocals blend in well, nothing overpowers anything else and balance is maintained throughout.:wink:
Air more apparent, less "gloss" and color. This is how a pro-EQ is supposed to sound.

Adam Watts Back to Earth [Dac filter- slow]
Detailed, rich, full.
The cello "breathes" on this track about as well as I've ever heard a pop recording work; it's very "real," and everything is in balance. Male vocal very slightly recessed as details and track body come "up," almost like the BAs are starting to run out of space in the upper mids (a pretty common thing with flatter tuned IEMs, but something I didn't suspect might happen with the shape of HBB's graph). A touch bunched in the upper mids and lower treble.
The upper mids are no longer cluttered, nor are they recessed. They are "just right," substantial but uncluttered. Airy but not washed out.

Eisley Ambulance [DAC filter- slow]
This is my test track for strident female vocal. The S8 Pros absolutely ace this track, super smooth and perfectly textured female vocals, gorgeous violin tones, honest and properly textured electric guitars, very slightly recessed cymbals (as recorded).
I suspected the cost of newfound clarity might be sibilance, but the Pros power right through a fairly strident female vocal with no hype, no sibilance, no pained eardrums. I have to EQ this song on the W40s, not so with the Pros, which handle this track with apolmb.

The Cleveland Orchestra. Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet, Op.64/ Act 1- Dance of the Knights
This is what the S8Pro lives for. Instruments and textures are perfectly spaced, incredibly accurate, to the point where I could actually conduct this orchestra from the sound alone. If I were to pigeonhole the S8 Pro at this point, I'd say it's the best headphone I've ever heard for classical. Yes, including 'cans. It takes the strident highs off the strings without sucking the air out of them, gives the brass the necessary weight, even brings the woodwinds to the fore at precisely the right moment...

...I haven't loved this track this much since listening to it on my parents' tube-powered console record player in my youth. It's that good on these 'phones.

The W40s have all of the detail, but everything is more constrained, tighter, less alive. When a percussionist drops his mallet, it's a dull thud, where on the S8Ps it resonates off the aged oak flooring and clatters twice before the desperate musician can trap it with the palm of a sweaty right hand. The W40 is accurate, but the S8 Pro is ALIVE.

The Tanchjim Oxygens with [DAC filter- fast] very nearly approach the grandeur of the S8 Pros, lacking only lower midrange warmth and detail. It's the difference between listening to the same track on digital and vinyl. The S8 Pro is the front seat, and the Oxygen is the balcony- spacious and gorgeous, even spine-tingling at times, undyingly balanced and fully "alive," but still the balcony.

I learned to conduct orchestras for the kind of experience the S8 Pros provide here. I buy tickets for the Oxygen's experience.
This track literally gave me goosebumps. There's such a sense of "place" and an almost visceral quality to the strings, in particular. HBB mentioned the Pros lack some micro-detail compared to the Freedoms. I'm not sure if the detail is lacking or presented plainly. There are certain things you have to listen harder fro in front of an orchestra (looking at you, woodwinds), and others you might wish would calm down a bit. My experiences with this track are that the details are there (even the flutists' breathing, and the hiss of the phantom - powered mics!), but recessed as they might be in real life. With proper fitting tips, all the details are there, the bass hits quickly and with substance, and nothing buries anything else.

To be honest, I pick this track because I know a few warts in it, and can pick them out pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, the mix and mastering are top notch, but the breaths, a percussionist dropping a mallet and the almost super-sonic hiss from the mics help me discover the limits of what I'm listening to/ through. I am in awe of how the S8 Pros handle it.

BUT they're certainly not perfectly flat, and they can get a bit jumbled with a busy mids-heavy rock mix. They are earphones for musicians who enjoy things that trained musicians enjoy (You should hear Wes Montgomery on these...). They're super flattering to female vocals and not as fond of baritone male vocals, which is a shame, because I was hoping to use them as vocal/ guitar monitors, and I'm a baritone. They handle every technical challenge with aplomb, but get thick where the technically less proficient Oxygens shine. It's a strange, quirky experience for such an outstanding set of IEMs.

That leaves me in kind of an odd place, and one that I'll have to spend some time resolving. Part of the problem is fit- I have weird canals and only specific tips work well on specific earphones. So far, the best I've managed is Comply Comfort Mediums, but they're not exactly right, very slightly too large. Part of me wonders if this is part of the lower mids problem, but I'll find out in time and update y'all as I figure it out.
My opinion has changed a good deal over the last few days, as I've discovered proper fit, and tested the S8 Pros "live" with a track I wrote, performed, recorded and had a significant hand mixing and mastering. Far from the overly-present low-mids of my initial encounter, current impressions are of an honest set of IEMs that takes what's recorded and reproduces it relatively colorlessly. Is there a slight dip in the upper midrange? Yes, but it's not as drastic sounding as the chart might suggest, and creates the smallest bit of necessary separation between the lower and upper mids. Is the treble range "veiled?" No, it's honest, and there's a slight dip right where cymbals crash, making these a far better bargain for live monitoring use than I initially thought. There's no doubt in my mind that the S8 Pro will become, indeed already has become, my long-term in-ear monitoring solution.

If you want to use the vocal/ band mix I use to test for monitoring use, here you go.

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #959 of 5,204
Updated impressions after finding right tips. Initial impressions were taken with the stock foams (not enough bass) and Comply 500 Comfort Mediums (congested bass, lower mids, more V-shaped).

Updated impressions taken with Comply T-500 (right balance of bass, lower mids, improved "air"

Air more apparent, less "gloss" and color. This is how a pro-EQ is supposed to sound.

The upper mids are no longer cluttered, nor are they recessed. They are "just right," substantial but uncluttered. Airy but not washed out.

I suspected the cost of newfound clarity might be sibilance, but the Pros power right through a fairly strident female vocal with no hype, no sibilance, no pained eardrums. I have to EQ this song on the W40s, not so with the Pros, which handle this track with apolmb.

This track literally gave me goosebumps. There's such a sense of "place" and an almost visceral quality to the strings, in particular. HBB mentioned the Pros lack some micro-detail compared to the Freedoms. I'm not sure if the detail is lacking or presented plainly. There are certain things you have to listen harder fro in front of an orchestra (looking at you, woodwinds), and others you might wish would calm down a bit. My experiences with this track are that the details are there (even the flutists' breathing, and the hiss of the phantom - powered mics!), but recessed as they might be in real life. With proper fitting tips, all the details are there, the bass hits quickly and with substance, and nothing buries anything else.

To be honest, I pick this track because I know a few warts in it, and can pick them out pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, the mix and mastering are top notch, but the breaths, a percussionist dropping a mallet and the almost super-sonic hiss from the mics help me discover the limits of what I'm listening to/ through. I am in awe of how the S8 Pros handle it.

My opinion has changed a good deal over the last few days, as I've discovered proper fit, and tested the S8 Pros "live" with a track I wrote, performed, recorded and had a significant hand mixing and mastering. Far from the overly-present low-mids of my initial encounter, current impressions are of an honest set of IEMs that takes what's recorded and reproduces it relatively colorlessly. Is there a slight dip in the upper midrange? Yes, but it's not as drastic sounding as the chart might suggest, and creates the smallest bit of necessary separation between the lower and upper mids. Is the treble range "veiled?" No, it's honest, and there's a slight dip right where cymbals crash, making these a far better bargain for live monitoring use than I initially thought. There's no doubt in my mind that the S8 Pro will become, indeed already has become, my long-term in-ear monitoring solution.

If you want to use the vocal/ band mix I use to test for monitoring use, here you go.
Sound absolutely incredible. Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back