FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #661 of 5,204
According to the sellers website, the S8F is warmer (brighter?) than the pro and that freq line shows, the bass is elevated on the pro but I am curious how it translates into sound. Badguy will just have to tell us.

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #662 of 5,204
So to me the S8Pro graph looks near identical to the companies published graph of the S6RIU. From all the graphs HBB has posted vs the company graphs bass is more gradual in it's decline and the highs are about 5 db higher but with the same peaks and dips as company graphs. Wondering if this is just equipment differential and pink noise generator differential. Or if the company graphs are compensated instead of RAW. Either way we are seeing some consistency here. Both showing that HBB setup is accurate but with so many variables involved these reading are just a guide on the whole. Very interested to see what the listening impressions are for these. Overall it looks to be as close to "Harmon" as they've come. My only concern is the little bump there at 4/5khz. It seems that is always the trouble frequencies with ChiFi, hoping it's not that bad while in practical use.

Thank you so much HBB for posting this graph, although it has only led to more ??? in my mind haha. :)

So, what's your plan now? Wait for impressions, before deciding or not go for S8 Pro as they are very different from what was mentioned in the company's FR graph?

According to the sellers website, the S8F is warmer (brighter?) than the pro and that freq line shows, the bass is elevated on the pro but I am curious how it translates into sound. Badguy will just have to tell us.

Didn't understand how S8F would be warmer, when S8Pro has the boost in bass as well as some part of mid region relative to S8F? Bright would mean more treble extension which again seems to be S8Pro except for a peak which S8Free has in certain regions; so not sure.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #664 of 5,204
Thanks for this comparison. Would love to see the harman compensated graph as well. :)

The S8 Pro frequency response curve was a surprise, especially with (as you mentioned) , it being even bassier. Even more confused with the namings, because the freq curve of S6 Rui and S8 Pro seem similar.

But there is an S6 Pro also. Shouldn't S6 Pro and S8 Pro have been more reference tuned. SMH. Will have to wait for HBB's comparison , i guess. (between S8Free and S8 Pro)

Yep, it's kinda weird and unexpected. Looks like the S4 is the most neutral (harman/DF like) from the fearless IEMs.

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #665 of 5,204
So going to a Hiby R3 or Fiio M9 which has a 2.5mm balanced output won't be worth it over the Q1?
Yes interested in seeing the S6P graph. As I shake my whole apartment with Lamb of God VII: Strum Umd Drang.
The Ibasso dx120 ( traditional sound mode ) on balance sounds very nice with the dm6 if u can afford it.
What I can tell in general for me , Balanced is worth it . Sounds much better .u get better separation better depth better impact ... balance has a more powerful output

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #667 of 5,204
My thoughts exactly. I'll wait for impressions but I'm starting to get more interested in the Lark LSIV (aside from the new sennheisers)

This graph kinda looks like fiction to me as well. It's obviously "compensated" for something, and the scaling+smoothing makes it look "too good to be true", same thing as the DM6es manufacturer graphs. It doesn't look like the Pro's graph. The peaks resemble those of the S8freedom (again - compensated). I hate it when they do that...

Another thing. The S8Pro's impedance is 15ohms, which means - those will not be sounding at their actual... well... capabilities, if they are used in single end. Most DAPs/gear (more like all of them) have really huge crosstalk with easy to drive gear, and 16ohms is the Achilles' heel of single end outputs (this is where the false premise of "higher impedance/harder-to-drive" head/earphones sound "better". It's actually the source). They should be listened to in balanced mode for proper evaluation, that's for sure. I'm kinda worried that HBB might conclude that they are "not as good" as the S8f (26ohms), because of that reason (crosstalk affects imaging, accuracy, and can even kill "resolution", if it's extreme, because frequencies get perceptually "washed out"). Just a thought...

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #668 of 5,204
This graph kinda looks like fiction to me as well. It's obviously "compensated" for something, and the scaling+smoothing makes it look "too good to be true", same thing as the DM6es manufacturer graphs. It doesn't look like the Pro's graph. The peaks resemble those of the S8freedom (again - compensated). I hate it when they do that...

Another thing. The S8Pro's impedance is 15ohms, which means - those will not be sounding at their actual... well... capabilities, if they are used in single end. Most DAPs/gear (more like all of them) have really huge crosstalk with easy to drive gear, and 16ohms is the Achilles' heel of single end outputs (this is where the false premise of "higher impedance/harder-to-drive" head/earphones sound "better". It's actually the source). They should be listened to in balanced mode for proper evaluation, that's for sure. I'm kinda worried that HBB might conclude that they are "not as good" as the S8f (26ohms), because of that reason (crosstalk affects imaging, accuracy, and can even kill "resolution", if it's extreme, because frequencies get perceptually "washed out"). Just a thought...

Well, that's nothing new. I guess the issue is that the graphs of the lower models were pretty similar to HBB's graphs and this creates certain expectations for similar accuracy of the other models but alas. As far as the SE vs balanced argument goes, this is not what usually happens. Balanced output usually have higher impedance which is the actual problem for low impedance multi-BA iems. Not to mention that this low impedance paired with this level of sensitivity will be inviting a pile of hiss with the balanced outputs of most DAPs.
Also, the difference between 15 and 26ohm is nothing, it's not like we are talking etymotic levels here. Btw, according to the specs both the F and the Pro are 15ohm

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #669 of 5,204
Well, that's nothing new. I guess the issue is that the graphs of the lower models were pretty similar to HBB's graphs and this creates certain expectations for similar accuracy of the other models but alas. As far as the SE vs balanced argument goes, this is not what usually happens. Balanced output usually have higher impedance which is the actual problem for low impedance multi-BA iems. Not to mention that this low impedance paired with this level of sensitivity will be inviting a pile of hiss with the balanced outputs of most DAPs.
Also, the difference between 15 and 26ohm is nothing, it's not like we are talking etymotic levels here. Btw, according to the specs both the F and the Pro are 15ohm
one thing on this is that there seems to be contradicting data on the impedances depending on where you look; i assume it's from translation errors between the names but am not sure.

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #670 of 5,204
one thing on this is that there seems to be contradicting data on the impedances depending on where you look; i assume it's from translation errors between the names but am not sure.
Well, going by the graphs I guess we can't really trust any of the specs cited outside the number of drivers

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #671 of 5,204
As far as the SE vs balanced argument goes, this is not what usually happens. Balanced output usually have higher impedance which is the actual problem for low impedance multi-BA iems. Not to mention that this low impedance paired with this level of sensitivity will be inviting a pile of hiss with the balanced outputs of most DAPs.

Those things depend on the DAP. Usually, Balanced has 2x the impedance of the single end, but if it's ~0,4 ohms, it kinda doesn't matter, compared to other DAPs that have 1ohm on their single end.

DX200 balanced vs unbalanced impedance.png

Source for Unbalanced Source for Balanced

Also, the difference between 15 and 26ohm is nothing, it's not like we are talking etymotic levels here.

Actually, there is a difference of around 5-10dB, depending on the DAP in single end. I will use the iBasso DX200 again as an example.

DX200 balanced vs unbalanced crosstalk.png

It's not much, but for somebody that seeks "micro details" and accuracy/imaging, it might be noticeable, so to me it would be recommended to use balanced. It's something I would do anyway, and it's just a suggestion.

Btw, according to the specs both the F and the Pro are 15ohm

Well, according to the specs I'm seeing on penon here, as well as on aliexpress, the Pro is 15ohms, and the freedom is 26ohms. To quote;

specs_comparisons.png

It's kinda reflected in the graphs as well (look at dB at the top - 91.6dB for the Pro vs 87.9 for the Freedom). :)

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #672 of 5,204
So if the recommended headphone impedence at my amp’s balanced output that I use is 16-300 ohms, do I have a concern with the SF6 or SF6 Pro?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #675 of 5,204
I have the R6 Pro and was wondering if the impedance will be a problem with either Model of the S8's?
Nope. Not with the R6 pro. You'll just want to use low gain and all will be fine. Haven't tried my s6rui with my original r6, but that's where you might expect some issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back