FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Oct 3, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #4,936 of 5,204
Bought a pair of 64 Audio demo/universal A4's w/e the upgraded Apex module off of ebay for $335 and it got my back in the universal/ciem realm again after a long hiatus. (I have a pair of Westone W60's, CCA C12's, Etymotic ex4r's too). I do think the A4's sound better to my ears then the W60's.. based of this data, what would Fearless offer that could be the next step up (Tequila? S8Z?..)

Thanks all,

James

Oct 10, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #4,938 of 5,204
Guys what's the difference between S8F, S8Z and S8PRO? Can anybody please explain, I could find much info online.
Thanks

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #4,939 of 5,204
Guys what's the difference between S8F, S8Z and S8PRO? Can anybody please explain, I could find much info online.
Thanks
F has less resistance. Easier to drive and intended for musicians. Pro is harder to drive (still not super hard I bet. I have S8z on the way and the tuning is supposed to be improved off the f/pro that could have harsh moments with treble. Thats what I've gleaned hope that helps.

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #4,940 of 5,204
F has less resistance. Easier to drive and intended for musicians. Pro is harder to drive (still not super hard I bet. I have S8z on the way and the tuning is supposed to be improved off the f/pro that could have harsh moments with treble. Thats what I've gleaned hope that helps.

The S8Z definitely has a little zip in the treble that makes for some sibilance in vocal peaks and cymbals. It's not a problem in all music, and I find that EQing a modest 2db dip around 8k takes the edge off nicely. Besides that, the detail and attack of these IEMs make them a very engaging listen.

Oct 11, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #4,942 of 5,204
Edited my previous comment.
Please leave your impression once you get them, Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #4,943 of 5,204
The S8Z definitely has a little zip in the treble that makes for some sibilance in vocal peaks and cymbals. It's not a problem in all music, and I find that EQing a modest 2db dip around 8k takes the edge off nicely. Besides that, the detail and attack of these IEMs make them a very engaging listen.
S8Z is more detailed and faster attack/decay? Compared to both F and Pro? So Z is more technically capable than the other two?

Oct 11, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #4,944 of 5,204
I’m still anxiously awaiting more information on the Tequila.

E4951E97-3DC3-4A21-961B-A6401C148B2F.jpeg
D32CC615-962D-4D3F-8A07-CCA07410386F.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #4,945 of 5,204
Does anyone have any information about how large of a profile the S8Z has? I'm looking for a great CIEM but one deciding factor is whether I can wear them under a helmet and lying on my side.

I listen to these fairly often laying down in bed. They do okay. They end up getting pushed pretty far in by my pillow, but not enough to change the sound or to become especially uncomfortable. In normal circumstances, I find that the work themselves out of my ear as I wear them. I think it's the wide bottom part of the nozzle (opposite of the opening) not quite fitting into my ear canal. If you are going to wear them with something pressing into the side of them, I think you'll have to use the stock tips or something similarly shaped. Those tips allow for the deepest insertion, as they extend from the opening of the nozzle only an additional 3mm, which is very low. Fortunately, I found those tips to sound the best anyway.

S8Z is more detailed and faster attack/decay? Compared to both F and Pro? So Z is more technically capable than the other two?

I was speaking generally, I haven't heard the 8F or 8Pro.

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #4,946 of 5,204

I own and like both S8F and S8Z and I would say precisely so. S8z may sound a little less bass responsive but can be easily EQed to that matter with very good effect. It is more airy and spaced with the wider brighter mids and highs.
I love it listening to acoustic jazz.

Oct 12, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #4,947 of 5,204
I own and like both S8F and S8Z and I would say precisely so. S8z may sound a little less bass responsive but can be easily EQed to that matter with very good effect. It is more airy and spaced with the wider brighter mids and highs.
I love it listening to acoustic jazz.
Thanks for the reply. I listen to a lot of extreme metal which is mostly busy and really fast, wondering if Z can handle complex fast music better than say F?

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #4,948 of 5,204
Thanks for the reply. I listen to a lot of extreme metal which is mostly busy and really fast, wondering if Z can handle complex fast music better than say F?

I don't know about the F, but the S8Z generally handles extreme metal very well. One of the test albums that I use is Origin's Entity, as it has ridiculously fast playing on guitar, drums, and bass, and is not recorded especially well. It sounds like it was recorded with everyone playing simultaneously in a small room, which very well may have been the case. That means, the dynamic range is subdued and instruments tend to drown each other out. Getting this album to sound good requires the same things that most fast metal does: great instrument separation, clean bass, resolving upper mids/lower treble, and good dynamic impact. The S8Z does all of that very well. About the only complaint is that cymbals can sound overly splashy because of some extra verve around 8k. On the other hand, if you are into sludge, doom drone, or something with big walls of bass, then the S8Z is not the best choice. For stuff like Sunn O))), Earth, or Boris, you'd be better off with a dynamic driver for the bass.

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #4,949 of 5,204
I own the s8p and did AB testing with the s8z and s8F. For me the s8F sounds the best while s8z sounds "boring" and "thin". I lost interest for the s8z soon after the audition so didn't get into detail. The same goes for Fearless Roland.
Now Im still waiting for the shipment of the Tequila so I could get chance to try it out.

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #4,950 of 5,204
I don't know about the F, but the S8Z generally handles extreme metal very well. One of the test albums that I use is Origin's Entity, as it has ridiculously fast playing on guitar, drums, and bass, and is not recorded especially well. It sounds like it was recorded with everyone playing simultaneously in a small room, which very well may have been the case. That means, the dynamic range is subdued and instruments tend to drown each other out. Getting this album to sound good requires the same things that most fast metal does: great instrument separation, clean bass, resolving upper mids/lower treble, and good dynamic impact. The S8Z does all of that very well. About the only complaint is that cymbals can sound overly splashy because of some extra verve around 8k. On the other hand, if you are into sludge, doom drone, or something with big walls of bass, then the S8Z is not the best choice. For stuff like Sunn O))), Earth, or Boris, you'd be better off with a dynamic driver for the bass.
I love Origin, infact I used to enjoy this album Entity a lot years back. It's been a while since I've heard them. I do enjoy bands like Sunn o))), earth, Boris,yob,om,electric wizzard and similar doom acts as well old-school death/technical/raw/atmospheric black/heavy metal/prog and everything that puts an iem to test it's extreme limits. I do own a S8F ATM at the moment and quiet happy with those. Just wondering what is the difference btw the P and Z compared to F. I wish I get to try them sometime. S8F is the best I've heard for extreme metal, wondering if P or Z excels in instrument seperation especially on stuff like slam/tech death. I can't imagine anything better to be honest but then again this is the most expensive iem I've owned. Is there an even better iem for extreme metal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back