FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Jun 29, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #2,521 of 5,204
Jun 29, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #2,523 of 5,204
Good question. The ex800 is good. Deep and wide, and nice bass. However, I found that they lacked a certain mid sparkle, so I thought to try the Z5, since I thought as a hybrid I would still get that big bass, and maybe some more presence in the mids, and that's exactly what it is. It's a more musical ex800. If I had to choose one (and I did), z5 takes the cake. Amazon has them for $399 right now.

Back to S8F. Listening to PVRIS right now. More mainstream pop rock. Sounds great on the Fearless through my Note 9, which is a bit warmer source than my R6, which is more neutral. I can see why people like them based on this sort of music, so I would say perhaps not great for really busy fast aggressive music, but sounds pretty damn good with mainstream music. They won't replace my Z5, as I listen more to Killswitch Engage than I do Mumford and Sons. Switching over to some Frank Turner, and the intimacy of the vocals is nice. I need to lower the treble a bit from my standard W EQ, as it can be a little ... not sibilant, but overly intense, but these sound really really nice with lighter airier music. Maybe I will keep them for when I want to listen to Frank Turner, PVRIS, or Breathe Carolina--bass hits pretty hard on the latter, but not the same way as the z5, which really does sound like an over ear. These are really comfy too. Slide right into my ears. I'll try them at the gym today. Curious how the seal compares in a noisy environment.

This is where i have heard the s8pro would be better. I listen to alot of tech death and prog rock and metal so need an iem that keeps up with fast heavy music. Someone on reddit stated the s8f could not keep up, which matches your findings. But also had the s8pro which he stated was great for metal, even preferring it over andromeda. Im simply waiting for more reviews to pop in

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2,524 of 5,204
Jun 29, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #2,525 of 5,204
All,

I’m seeing a lot of comparison between s8pro and z5. Are they really comparable? Can it be so? I have the Westone UM30Pro and the DM6..the UM30s have comply p-series tips while the DM6 have foam tips.. but by god! The UM30PROs have crazy bass while the soundstage and details are amazing in DM6 at the expense of bass (I think). I usually listen to jazz, orchestral music, and downtempo stuff. I was wondering whether to buy S8P and now with all these talks about z5 ... I’m really confused...

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #2,526 of 5,204
The 2 sound very different. Both are a huge upgrade over DM6. Or maybe I should say that neither DM6 or S8F are suited for heavier busy music.

@hemipowered007, listening to Within the Ruins with the z5. Sounds awesome. You can really turn up the bass if you want and it just hits hard. For me the Z5 is a better all arounder, as it still sounds good with more mainstream music, and can handle metal, and hardcore well. The S8F comes off as slightly more detailed with mainstream music, but I feel like part of this is the tuning. There is a lot more treble and snap in them. They are perhaps more analytical, while the Sony is a bit smoother. Both enjoyable for mainstream music. So I say it all depends on what you listen to.

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #2,527 of 5,204
The 2 sound very different. Both are a huge upgrade over DM6. Or maybe I should say that neither DM6 or S8F are suited for heavier busy music.

@hemipowered007, listening to Within the Ruins with the z5. Sounds awesome. You can really turn up the bass if you want and it just hits hard. For me the Z5 is a better all arounder, as it still sounds good with more mainstream music, and can handle metal, and hardcore well. The S8F comes off as slightly more detailed with mainstream music, but I feel like part of this is the tuning. There is a lot more treble and snap in them. They are perhaps more analytical, while the Sony is a bit smoother. Both enjoyable for mainstream music. So I say it all depends on what you listen to.

I have the ex1000 which i love, i have someone i think i can borrow a z5 from. Still extremely interested in the s8pro, but dropping 500 on a guess is detouring me. Especially since the resale of these seems to be instantly losing $100 or more.

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #2,528 of 5,204
Compared to the UM30PROs, how do the Z5 fare? Are the Z5s more detailed than the UM30PROs? I’m sure the S8P are more detailed compared with the DM6 but I think it’s a case of diminishing returns where I’ll be paying more for just 20% upgrade over the DM6.

So, between Westone and SONY, which one is a better bet?

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #2,529 of 5,204
Have not heard the latter. Depends on what you are going for. Like I said, Z5 sounds like a headphone because of stage and bass. You can always buy on Amazon and return if you don't like them. I do it constantly. lol

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #2,530 of 5,204
Have not heard the latter. Depends on what you are going for. Like I said, Z5 sounds like a headphone because of stage and bass. You can always buy on Amazon and return if you don't like them. I do it constantly. lol
Makes sense for someone living in USA. I’m based in Dubai and amazon returns are a luxury that I don’t have ... I’m sure there must someone here who must have heard both... can someone please share their experiences...

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #2,531 of 5,204
Did some more comparisons, and I really like the Z5 stage. It's more my personal preference though as a basshead who wants a wide stage.
If anyone is interested, I would be willing to trade S8f for xelento, t8 ie mkii, a8, or just sell to finance a lagoon anc.

Jun 30, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #2,532 of 5,204
Makes sense for someone living in USA. I’m based in Dubai and amazon returns are a luxury that I don’t have ... I’m sure there must someone here who must have heard both... can someone please share their experiences...
You'll probably have better luck in the appropriate forum (recommendations) over the Fearless audio thread :)

Jun 30, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #2,533 of 5,204
Good looking earphone, yes it is.

P1012789.JPG
S6 Rui​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back