FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
May 19, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #2,117 of 5,204
I have thought about this and custom s8 freedom sound very appealing indeed, it's an option that I do try to avoid though because of potential dislike of the sig and resale ... I'm waying up a few options at the minute If anyone can rec a decent multi ba which are on the smaller side then much appreciated .. I don't think the dm6 are going to end up being for me though due to the treble.

I should say that even the custom S8F's are quite large. I have tried DM6 in the past, and have found it to be smaller compared to S8F. How about DM7? From the initial impressions, it seems like the treble harshness seems to be solved with them. It seemed to be about the same size as DM6 from videos. Maybe @Hawaiibadboy can help you here?

May 19, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #2,118 of 5,204
I should say that even the custom S8F's are quite large. I have tried DM6 in the past, and have found it to be smaller compared to S8F. How about DM7? From the initial impressions, it seems like the treble harshness seems to be solved with them. It seemed to be about the same size as DM6 from videos. Maybe @Hawaiibadboy can help you here?

I agree, my ears are so small I did debate if it would be achievable with the s8 with custom as in not a lot of difference with size ... I would of preferred the s8 freedom but the rui look quite appealing as well, just looking for some confirmation in size to dm6 and if comparable I will get the rui more than likely.
Thanks guys

May 19, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #2,119 of 5,204
I agree, my ears are so small I did debate if it would be achievable with the s8 with custom as in not a lot of difference with size ... I would of preferred the s8 freedom but the rui look quite appealing as well, just looking for some confirmation in size to dm6 and if comparable I will get the rui more than likely.
Thanks guys

If you don't mind taking a small hit on the price I imagine you would be able to sell them on quite quickly on the fs boards at the moment?

May 19, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #2,120 of 5,204
If you don't mind taking a small hit on the price I imagine you would be able to sell them on quite quickly on the fs boards at the moment?

I agree but I have just bought 2 different iems and both were not for me and moved on at a loss, would at least like to know if the rui are probably similar in size to dm6 before I hit buy... . I have just mailed linsoul to see if they can help and I will mail penon as well ... Thanks again guys

May 19, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #2,121 of 5,204
IMG_0054.JPG

Sorry pic quality, took it with an ipad mini

S6 Rui is a tad smaller than DM6 at most angles

May 19, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #2,122 of 5,204
Wanted to give an update on my custom Fearless S8F's:

Fit & Comfort: Firstly, thanks for the suggestions on increasing comfort with the custom IEM fit. Got a bit busy with work, so got to spend some time with them while travelling mostly (thus, less critical listening so far). But, I think over the period of time, they have certainly become more comfortable. No pain in the ears, but does get tight with certain jaw positions (smiling/laughing in particular) or if I try to lie down and listen. Overall, I think it should be fine; but, sadly will never get the level of comfort which I have heard others describe custom IEMs as. (maybe to do with acrylic vs silicone? not sure, how this can be improved considerably, in terms of comfort).

Source & Cable: Interestingly, the combination of custom fit plus low-sensitivity means that I can listen to at a very very low volume (-59.5 dB on my ES100; -60 dB is the minimum possible with them). No hissing with ES100, but with something like Sonata USB-C dac, there is a noticeable hiss. I tried different cables (balanced/nicehck 8 core spc), and seems like the stock cable is less sensitive compared to the others. The nicehck 8 core spc, is even more sensitive (I had to apply a -12 dB pre-digital gain, and even then play a -55 dB).

Overall sound impressions: Surprisingly, these don't have a very boosted bass (unlike what the FR graphs seemed to indicate). Maybe, to do with the universal vs custom? (with universal, even tips can change the sound sig, a bit). However, bass has a good slam & impact, when called for with good extension into the lower sub-bass region. Mids are very detailed and slightly forward, with a more upper-mids focus. Lower treble is also a bit emphasized, which I presume, is what some might find fatiguing. (for shorter listening period, it is not an issue at all). I should say that the treble doesn't get harsh at all, but is not very smoothed out. Would have appreciated a bit more warmth to balance the energy in the treble, though. Overall, likely because of the lower volume, plus my general preference for a slightly brighter signature means that I'm liking them so far. (even for a relatively longer listening period)

Here are a few pics, with the Nicehck 8 core spc cable :

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #2,124 of 5,204
Wanted to give an update on my custom Fearless S8F's:

Fit & Comfort: Firstly, thanks for the suggestions on increasing comfort with the custom IEM fit. Got a bit busy with work, so got to spend some time with them while travelling mostly (thus, less critical listening so far). But, I think over the period of time, they have certainly become more comfortable. No pain in the ears, but does get tight with certain jaw positions (smiling/laughing in particular) or if I try to lie down and listen. Overall, I think it should be fine; but, sadly will never get the level of comfort which I have heard others describe custom IEMs as. (maybe to do with acrylic vs silicone? not sure, how this can be improved considerably, in terms of comfort).

Source & Cable: Interestingly, the combination of custom fit plus low-sensitivity means that I can listen to at a very very low volume (-59.5 dB on my ES100; -60 dB is the minimum possible with them). No hissing with ES100, but with something like Sonata USB-C dac, there is a noticeable hiss. I tried different cables (balanced/nicehck 8 core spc), and seems like the stock cable is less sensitive compared to the others. The nicehck 8 core spc, is even more sensitive (I had to apply a -12 dB pre-digital gain, and even then play a -55 dB).

Overall sound impressions: Surprisingly, these don't have a very boosted bass (unlike what the FR graphs seemed to indicate). Maybe, to do with the universal vs custom? (with universal, even tips can change the sound sig, a bit). However, bass has a good slam & impact, when called for with good extension into the lower sub-bass region. Mids are very detailed and slightly forward, with a more upper-mids focus. Lower treble is also a bit emphasized, which I presume, is what some might find fatiguing. (for shorter listening period, it is not an issue at all). I should say that the treble doesn't get harsh at all, but is not very smoothed out. Would have appreciated a bit more warmth to balance the energy in the treble, though. Overall, likely because of the lower volume, plus my general preference for a slightly brighter signature means that I'm liking them so far. (even for a relatively longer listening period)

Here are a few pics, with the Nicehck 8 core spc cable :

Sounds like the fit is a little too snug. You could possibly ask them to slacken it off just a touch but the danger of that is going too far the other way and not being tight enough for a good seal. Plus you've got the fun of the wait as well and it might not still be right. Interestingly davidmolliere over on the custom art fibae 4 thread noted that his fibae 4 was a touch more relaxed and more comfortable than his fibae black which came in first. It seems that whilst 3-d printing helps with ciems it still isn't a 100% guarantee (sadly). Think you've helped me make my mind up though. Don't mind dealing with refits in europe, but the wait times to china and back would kill me. Nice build quality though!

Just a quick edit to say have you tried pulling your earlobe or top of ear once the ciems are in to help relieve pressure build up? Might help a bit.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #2,125 of 5,204
Sounds like the fit is a little too snug. You could possibly ask them to slacken it off just a touch but the danger of that is going too far the other way and not being tight enough for a good seal. Plus you've got the fun of the wait as well and it might not still be right. Interestingly davidmolliere over on the custom art fibae 4 thread noted that his fibae 4 was a touch more relaxed and more comfortable than his fibae black which came in first. It seems that whilst 3-d printing helps with ciems it still isn't a 100% guarantee (sadly). Think you've helped me make my mind up though. Don't mind dealing with refits in europe, but the wait times to china and back would kill me. Nice build quality though!

Just a quick edit to say have you tried pulling your earlobe or top of ear once the ciems are in to help relieve pressure build up? Might help a bit.

You're right. Dealing with the hassle, with the potential, that it may still not help fully is a problem, even though shipping times to China should be relatively shorter. So, I'm thinking it is best to leave it as is.

I have tried pulling the earlobes on, when inserting. (similar to how it works with Etymotic IEM insertion) Are you suggesting doing them once in a while, when they are still in my ears to relieve the build up? That sounds good, will do that. Thank you :)

May 19, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #2,126 of 5,204
They are very good sounding but some more listening and that "cleanliness" is a bit of "leanness" or a slightly thin sound compared to the S8F which has more meat on it's bones. I had wondered at first if I could replace the S8F with the Kanas as my daily but I'm pretty sure now that the S8F isn't going anywhere. We'll see about the KPE because I just learned about the KXXS which is supposed to improve on the KPE.?.. if that's the case then I'm very interested in that.
Can't say I know much about the KXXS, other than I've seen the name pop up a couple of times on the forums. As for KPE; I'm able to achieve more fullness, flesh, or meat by using the Fiio Q1MK2 portable dac/amp with my Samsung S8+, using the Hiby Player app on my phone. The Fiio is a great sounding dac/amp that's slightly on the warm side of neutral, and has a bass boost switch if the recording requires it. I usually leave that off though, and prefer to use the EQ on the Hiby app if needed. I can pretty well dial in whatever sound I want cause the KPE responds very well to slight EQ. If you are using a phone to listen to your music, I highly rec getting a decent dac/amp like the Fiio Q1MK2 (it's only $100), a good quality balanced cable (to make use of the balanced 2.5mm out from the Fiio), and maybe try some different tips on the KPE. I dont know what you are using for tips, but the stock ones aren't good. I use New Bee foam tips and this total combo sounds amazing.

May 20, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #2,127 of 5,204
Can't say I know much about the KXXS, other than I've seen the name pop up a couple of times on the forums. As for KPE; I'm able to achieve more fullness, flesh, or meat by using the Fiio Q1MK2 portable dac/amp with my Samsung S8+, using the Hiby Player app on my phone. The Fiio is a great sounding dac/amp that's slightly on the warm side of neutral, and has a bass boost switch if the recording requires it. I usually leave that off though, and prefer to use the EQ on the Hiby app if needed. I can pretty well dial in whatever sound I want cause the KPE responds very well to slight EQ. If you are using a phone to listen to your music, I highly rec getting a decent dac/amp like the Fiio Q1MK2 (it's only $100), a good quality balanced cable (to make use of the balanced 2.5mm out from the Fiio), and maybe try some different tips on the KPE. I dont know what you are using for tips, but the stock ones aren't good. I use New Bee foam tips and this total combo sounds amazing.

Thanks... I actually didn't try the Hiby app as I've been using the Fiio app on my phone lately and they all do seem to have a subtle tonal difference... hmm.
The KPE would be a work set that I would be using with my phone and a BTR1K which will soon be replaced with an ES100 and an ISN audio balanced cable from Penon.
Not sure I'm going to keep these though as theres a timbre thing about them that I'm not terrible fond of in comparison to the S8F but I think I need to take them to work and use them exclusively so my brain hears them for what they are rather than in constant comparison mode. A week like that might change my mind.
As for tips, I'm using Symbio W's at the moment but I've seen those New Bee ones mentioned several times so I might get some..

May 20, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #2,128 of 5,204
Thanks... I actually didn't try the Hiby app as I've been using the Fiio app on my phone lately and they all do seem to have a subtle tonal difference... hmm.
The KPE would be a work set that I would be using with my phone and a BTR1K which will soon be replaced with an ES100 and an ISN audio balanced cable from Penon.
Not sure I'm going to keep these though as theres a timbre thing about them that I'm not terrible fond of in comparison to the S8F but I think I need to take them to work and use them exclusively so my brain hears them for what they are rather than in constant comparison mode. A week like that might change my mind.
As for tips, I'm using Symbio W's at the moment but I've seen those New Bee ones mentioned several times so I might get some..
I also use a balanced ISN audio cable...the C16 pure copper one. I did find it made a difference when I swapped it in. At first, I wasn't sure it was an upgrade because the sound seemed less resolving than with the stock cable, but after a few days of burn in the detail came back, but with a warmer and more fleshed out kinda presentation. The New Bee foams are my favorite tips and I rec them highly. Much cheaper than Complys and to me more comfortable than Complys also. I've been able to wear the KPE for several hours straight with those soft New Bee foams.

May 20, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #2,130 of 5,204
I got the Angie and Roxanne both in a trade. I'd say S8F.... After I do a vid I am going to sell both as a pair for about $500 so if you can wait a month or so I can do that for ya. I think JH16 and some of Jerry's stuff is great but the siren series is not among his best products.

@Hawaiibadboy I am not able to PM you due to your privacy setting. Whenever you are free, do drop me a PM. I've set the funds aside for the pair. Just wish to know more details about them. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back