FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Apr 20, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,591 of 5,204
i'd imagine that the primary difference is that IEMs skip past a huge part of the ear whereas full-sized headphones don't; the brain probably at least knows, "wow, that sound is right in my ear canal, it must be extremely close-by", whereas full-sized headphones are coupling with the full ear geometry. just a guess; there's ~infinitely much stuff I don't know about this!

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #1,592 of 5,204
I've been in proper studios with good floor speakers and I've auditioned HD800s and some other full-sized. I've owned some too like the AKG K702/K271. The closed back headphones can sound cramped but the open backed ones are really airy. This airy sound is a feature that is missing in most iems and its this 'effect' that separates having speakers or being in a studio and hearing it all in your head. The only way to describe it is the sound "breathing" and feels more organic but iems are bridging this gap by the years.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #1,593 of 5,204
A sneak peak of my S8F before it got shipped yesterday from Fearless! ☣️

Those look sick, man!Nice color choice! These Fearless guys seem so accommodating when it comes to personalizing their wares. I'm highly impressed with this company and how they seem willing to bend over backwards to accommodate their customers.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #1,594 of 5,204
Hope to have time to listen to these soon.

Bought and listened to the Kanas Pro while I waited for these. Really liked them. Hope that these will sound better.
Beautiful looking set...very classy. I also have the Kanas Pro, and LOVE them. If possible, please post a review and a comparison between these and Kanas Pro. I want/need some good reasons to spend money on these...to justify why and how these are an upgrade from the Kanas Pro. In your opinion, what makes these better...or why should I justify spending significantly more for the Fearless?

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #1,595 of 5,204
Overkill is highly underrated...

Jeez, man...if THAT'S what you use to protect your earphones, I'd hate to see how thick your condoms must be!

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #1,596 of 5,204
I've been in proper studios with good floor speakers and I've auditioned HD800s and some other full-sized. I've owned some too like the AKG K702/K271. The closed back headphones can sound cramped but the open backed ones are really airy. This airy sound is a feature that is missing in most iems and its this 'effect' that separates having speakers or being in a studio and hearing it all in your head. The only way to describe it is the sound "breathing" and feels more organic but iems are bridging this gap by the years.
Coming from a high end, speaker based audio background, I can attest to the fact that open backed over ear headphones have more of a "speaker sound". But I can also attest to the fact that iem tech is advancing at such a fast rate, that it's getting real close, real fast. Almost 20 years ago, I had a set of Shure E5c's and they were at the top of the headfi list. I had a set that I spent big $ on, and hated them. I sold them at a $120 loss, and bought a set of Grado SR125 over ears for a quarter of the price and thought, "Wow, now that's more like it!" I swore that iem's were absolute sh**, and I'd never buy another. Last year, I bought a $60 set of Bluetooth Edifier WBT296BT to use with my smartphone for watching YouTube vids and listening to music of my phone's SD card. I was impressed enough with the SQ (exponentially better sounding than that old TOTL Shure iem...if it had sounded at least as good as the cheap Edifier, I would have kept it). Over the past year, I have bought 2 over ears: Takstar Pro 82 and Massdrop Hifiman 4XX. Like closed Takstar more than the 4XX open back planar. Easier to drive, more fun sounding. Then I discovered BGGAR on YouTube, and I started becoming interested in audio again...his reviews, style, music tastes, gear, etc. changed my mind and made me willing to try iems seriously again. After 4 months of watching his reviews, and asking him questions, I decided on the Moondrop Kanas Pro. I gotta say that since I have owned this set, it's made me a convert into the iem world. I'm actually considering selling all my big headphones, and just looking to get a couple really good iems, good dap, another good dac/amp, and calling it quits. These new chi-fi iems/gear have just become so good and affordable, that my love for audio has been reignited. I love my DD Kanas Pro, and I'd like to see what a good BA based set could be like. This stuff coming from China affords me the opportunity to become involved again, and for less money. With new gear like Kanas Pro and Fearless, I don't feel like I'm missing out on great sound. And you know what? I've also discovered that I rather like the "more in you head" kind of sound...but still with a sense of space and air. I agree...these new iems are really getting there, and I'm really glad that they are

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #1,598 of 5,204
That's the funniest thing I have ever read!!!
Lmao! I just bought and am using a Pelican 1040 to stash my dac/amp, Kanas Pro and cable. In researching the Pelican website (I have huge respect for their cases and high quality construction...as a courier, I have delivered many of the even bigger ones...the cases weighed around 50 pounds empty) I know how good they are...and also pricey. As soon as I saw your pic...first thing I thought was...I GOT PELICAN ENVY! His is Wayyyy bigger than mine

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #1,599 of 5,204
Lmao! I just bought and am using a Pelican 1040 to stash my dac/amp, Kanas Pro and cable. In researching the Pelican website (I have huge respect for their cases and high quality construction...as a courier, I have delivered many of the even bigger ones...the cases weighed around 50 pounds empty) I know how good they are...and also pricey. As soon as I saw your pic...first thing I thought was...I GOT PELICAN ENVY! His is Wayyyy bigger than mine
:) :) :). To be fair I was hauling around heavy telescope hardware at one point when I was into astronomy - I have a couple of the 1650 cases.

When I showed my wife my original photos and my post she literally shook her head and said “Boys, always compensating for something...”

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #1,600 of 5,204
:) :) :). To be fair I was hauling around heavy telescope hardware at one point when I was into astronomy - I have a couple of the 1650 cases.
Still...something quite long and large... and now your telling me you have 2...sigh. You must be a real hit with the ladies

Apr 21, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #1,602 of 5,204
I edited out some content on my original post for fear of being to off topic... should of kept it lol.

Basically what I said is that the S6Pro is a more natural analytical listen with good positioning and a solid spacial awareness. Similar to that of near field monitors. To me the m1060 is like a good worn in pair of jeans with a comfy sweater. Has the classic hifi settle treble roll off with air on the end. An organic sound that still can be considered balanced, even neutral. It takes me back to sitting on the couch or floor as a kid with my dads hifi setup, so it’s more like being in a room with speakers.

All good stuff guys and I agree the tech is insane on these things. I’ve got small kids and have moved more to headphones in the evenings and companies like Fearless are really making strides to bring this all to us at a reasonable price. I suppose it’s the cost of R&D mixed with marketing and manufacturing location that ultimately reflect the cost savings.

Apr 21, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #1,603 of 5,204
Coming from a high end, speaker based audio background, I can attest to the fact that open backed over ear headphones have more of a "speaker sound". But I can also attest to the fact that iem tech is advancing at such a fast rate, that it's getting real close, real fast. Almost 20 years ago, I had a set of Shure E5c's and they were at the top of the headfi list. I had a set that I spent big $ on, and hated them. I sold them at a $120 loss, and bought a set of Grado SR125 over ears for a quarter of the price and thought, "Wow, now that's more like it!" I swore that iem's were absolute sh**, and I'd never buy another. Last year, I bought a $60 set of Bluetooth Edifier WBT296BT to use with my smartphone for watching YouTube vids and listening to music of my phone's SD card. I was impressed enough with the SQ (exponentially better sounding than that old TOTL Shure iem...if it had sounded at least as good as the cheap Edifier, I would have kept it). Over the past year, I have bought 2 over ears: Takstar Pro 82 and Massdrop Hifiman 4XX. Like closed Takstar more than the 4XX open back planar. Easier to drive, more fun sounding. Then I discovered BGGAR on YouTube, and I started becoming interested in audio again...his reviews, style, music tastes, gear, etc. changed my mind and made me willing to try iems seriously again. After 4 months of watching his reviews, and asking him questions, I decided on the Moondrop Kanas Pro. I gotta say that since I have owned this set, it's made me a convert into the iem world. I'm actually considering selling all my big headphones, and just looking to get a couple really good iems, good dap, another good dac/amp, and calling it quits. These new chi-fi iems/gear have just become so good and affordable, that my love for audio has been reignited. I love my DD Kanas Pro, and I'd like to see what a good BA based set could be like. This stuff coming from China affords me the opportunity to become involved again, and for less money. With new gear like Kanas Pro and Fearless, I don't feel like I'm missing out on great sound. And you know what? I've also discovered that I rather like the "more in you head" kind of sound...but still with a sense of space and air. I agree...these new iems are really getting there, and I'm really glad that they are
Great stuff here. I agree that IEM tech is getting insane results in such a quick time. I feel bad for people still spending the same I spent on my S6pro for things like the Westone UM30Pro. It’s just not even close. Especially for that they are marketed use case is.

It’s hard to beat physics and that’s whats so fascinating able psychoacoustics to me. With things like the 64 Tia/Forte coming out with some wild shell designs and the ACME8 bass maze, we are making strides to get some seriously good spacial sense and awareness in our iems.

It’s a really crazy feeling when you essentially put earplugs in and then have live mics being fed into your ears from multiple singers and a room mic. It’s a very hyper aware sensation that just can’t be had without blocking everything out completely. So there are aural advantages to IEMs over cans in these kinds of situations. Where physics works with their strengths to bring some special stuff to the table.

It’s a good time to be in audio that’s for sure.

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #1,604 of 5,204
Question: I have the Moondrop A8 which has the same size 5.5mm bore as the Fearless IEMs. I'd like to get a deeper fit but have no idea what to try. Any ideas? Spinfit CP500? Something else?

Apr 21, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,605 of 5,204
I too used to use cheaper IEM's for portability and full size headphones at home or when I wanted to listen to music and feel it too. I ALWAYS thought that headphones we're King and that's just the way it is!

Fast forward to around 1.5 years ago when I bought my first pair of decent IEM's, the Westone UM Pro 30's. I was completely amazed at how much detail, resolution and balance that such tiny devices could have. It totally changed my opinion on the quality and difference between IEMs vs headphones. I knew that I was going down the right path and loved every second of it!!!

Then I wanted a really HQ pair of IEM's made from metal that would last me many years to come, so I started doing LOTS of research. I finally found what I wanted and ordered the Campfire Audio Andromeda AND Dorado IEM's to have two different flavors.

Wowza, those Andromedas really blew my mind, especially compared to the UM Pro 30's, and I was totally amazed that something that small inside of my ear canal could sound SOOOOOOOOOOOO HUGE!!! The definition of details and resolution, the massive soundstage, the ultra precise imaging, and the overall tonal balance all just blew me away ️

I like my Andromedas better than my Dorado's, so I've been thinking about selling those and getting the Fearless S8F/Pro or going big and getting the ACME 8 IEM's. What do you guys think I should do? I've also been eyeing up the Beyerdynamic Xelento's too just to have a really nice DD IEM, but I'm not sure where to go from the Dorado's??? Or should I say screw it and sell BOTH of my Andromedas and Dorado's and get the CA Solaris's?

Anyway, getting back to my point, IEM technology is advancing very rapidly and I have pretty much sworn off headphones for good now. I plan on selling my MINT CONDITION Sony MDR-7506 because I don't EVER see myself using headphones ever again. Ive even been using my UM Pro 30's to monitor AND mix/EQ my live audio recordings that I make of concerts with really HQ gear (Schoeps mics and Sound Devices MixPre Series recorders). Headphones are just way too big to carry around to monitor live, and to fit in my laptop bags, so just another reason why I prefer IEM's!!!

Headphones are only using dynamic/electrostatic/Planar Magnetic driver's, and IEMs have the super clean and fast BA Drivers, which headphones will probably never use!!! So there's a LOT going for IEM's. They're MUCH smaller and portable, don't make my ears really hot, have AMAZING isolation compared to headphones using soundboothing, have better details and resolution, a much better and more comfortable fit, and I can wear them much longer. Plus IEM's are usually MUCH easier to drive too!!!

With all of those advantages over headphones, I will ONLY buy IEM's in the future and I consider headphones "old" technology that doesn't hold ANY of my interest ANYMORE. I'll definitely be selling my Sony cans whenever I remember to take some pictures of them!!!

So for ALL of those reasons, I now consider IEM's KING, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for IEM's and they're rapidly growing technology ️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back