fatigue: how long can you listen for?
Feb 27, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #31 of 80
I usually have a 10 minute rest after every 30 minutes of listening. hey, you gotta get up to go the loo and get another beer.

Feb 27, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #32 of 80
Quote:

My record was 26 straight hours at a LAN. No fatigue, but I had to pack up so it ended.

Cheers,
Geek

...you sure picked the right username.

Feb 27, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #33 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
so biggie, your system doesn't fatigue you? perhaps i should borrow it for a while to determine whether it's just my cables or something. good idea.

Various incarnations of my system have caused me listening fatigue and when that happened, those culprit components were removed from my system. Even the wrong tubes will cause me some listening fatigue. It can be a very fine balance between fatiguing and non-fatiguing with headphones I have found..

Biggie.

Feb 27, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #34 of 80
My Grados can be quite fatiguing, but only at normal levels. Take them down a notch (but still audible) and I'm fine.

BTW, can fatigue cause hearing damage?

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #35 of 80
I've never found my Sennheiser HD545s fatiguing. The most I've ever listened to them is probably 4 or 5 hours straight. Usually by then I just want to go do something else. They're very comfortable and inoffensive phones.

I haven't been able to listen to my Etys in P or S flavor for more than an hour or two. The comfort gets to be an issue after a while as do the level of detail and highs they produce. The white tips make my ears itch after a while. I'm still not fully used to the Ety sound, but they can be somewhat bright for my tastes. It's also hard to get the volume level right on the Etys and listening too loudly fatigues me quickly. I like what they do well, but they're not 5 hour phones for me.

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #36 of 80
The longest I've ever gone was about 6 hours, and while I wasn't even remotely fatigued, I had somewhere to go, so I had to cut it short. Were it not for that, I honestly probably could've gone for at least another 6 if I really wanted to. Bless you HD580's.

Feb 28, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #39 of 80
Originally posted by Bill Ward:

"Using the HD650, I start to feel the Clamp somewhere into the first hour. They do seem to be loosening up with use, however."

I am not finding listening to the music fatiguing, on the contrary at the moment I am having a great time exploring my CD collection with my new setup.

However what I am finding is that my HD650s are becoming uncomfortable around my ears after shorter and shorter periods. This is probably made worse by the downward pull of the Zu cable adding to the pressure I am feeling. Is this the clamping effect that you are referring to Bill?

Are there any cures for this or is it a case of the headphones losening up over time and my head becoming accustomed to the pressure?

Feb 28, 2004 at 11:09 AM Post #40 of 80
I would like to keep them on for longer but I always have to take them off when the wife has something to say. She thinks I'm trying to get away from her but this isn't the case at all.

Feb 28, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #41 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Yeldarb
Originally posted by Bill Ward:

This is probably made worse by the downward pull of the Zu cable adding to the pressure I am feeling.

Are there any cures for this or is it a case of the headphones losening up over time and my head becoming accustomed to the pressure?

gerG added a clip to his Barney cable so that he can roach clip his shirt and take the strain completely off the headphone.

Feb 28, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #42 of 80
Posted by Yeldarb
Quote:

This is probably made worse by the downward pull of the Zu cable adding to the pressure I am feeling. Is this the clamping effect that you are referring to Bill?

Right, a feeling like the headphone is clamping down on my head, not my ears. Feels like it's too small for my head after a while, but it's not. I've extended the cups, and I've got what should be a light fit. And this is with the stock cable, so weight shouldn't be a factor. It's not a heavy set of cans.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't an agonizing condition. It's just a growing sense of discomfort. I take a short break, and I'm fine for a while. I've only had the Senns for about a month, so I guess they're still settling in. Anybody dealing with this?

BW

Oct 6, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #45 of 80
15hrs+ ,absolutely no problem for me, with my HD580 setup....
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back