fatigue: how long can you listen for?
Oct 7, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #61 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
I have never once experienced wear or hearing fatigue with my Senn 600s on my Cary. SET + the Senn sound is as unfatiguing as I can imagine.

Yep! I thought the same, 300B + HD650 = no listening fatigue at all...you want more music!

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #62 of 80
About 3-4 hrs. If fatigue means getting headaches, then no I dont fatigue exactly, but I generally just get tired (not bored) of listening to music and would rather settle for some peace and quiet or reading.

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #63 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Sennheiser PX100s - forever.

Really? I seem to want to stop listening through my portable after 3/4 hrs(Panasonic SLMP70) but some reason they sound better when hooked to my PC (Much more clarity and ambience) Can you explain? Is it the soundcard?

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #64 of 80
Out of the phones I have used recently:

Plantronics for my PC - 12-14 hours at a time if playing a game. I rarely do this anymoore, but they are not fatiguing.

Sony EX71 - 2 hours max if the volume is low. If I turn them up enough to hear the mids clearly, I can only listen to them for about 45 minutes before having pain in my ears.

PX100s - at night with low volume, 3 - 4 hours before I drift off to sleep. If I am out walking and they are turned up, I can listen for about 2 hours before I want to take them off. There is no real pain, just a mild discomfort that is difficult to describe.

Westone UM-2 - I've never worn them for more than 4 hours. This isn't due to fatigue or discomfort, but that I don't have the opportunity to wear them longer than that. I listen comfortably at very low volumes with them. Using my mini, at night I listen at the first notch on the bar, and outside I listen at about 1/8 - 1/6th. If I turn it up louder than that, I can no longer hear traffic around me and that makes me nervous.

I have minor tinnitus. It might be more related to muscular or vascular problems than hearing damage. I know I have suffered some damage, but my tinnitus is aggravated / louder when I turn my head, or am laying down. If I am walking around or standing in a quiet room, my ears ring but it is barely noticable. If I am laying down, it is loud enough to keep me from sleeping if I am already having trouble getting to sleep.

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #65 of 80
One, Hundred, BILLION Hours....
cool.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #66 of 80
ksc-35 without pads - about 20 minutes, perfect for my commute lol.
with pads - forever, but then i'm losing some detail.

ms-2 with flats - forever.
ms-2 with bowls - like an hour before the shrills set in. that includes the nicer sounding reverse bowl trick. same as above for MS-1, except comfies are like ksc35 with pads - can keep em on, but you'd prefer the flats.

dt770 and PS-1 - half a song. then my tear ducts start expelling saline and i have to go recover in a MASH unit.

CD3000 - about 3 hours. then i sorta just take em off. they have some initial energy, but what can i say eventually it kicks in that i'm a grado guy.

hd650 - about 8 hours. of good sleep. joke!

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #68 of 80
...but I replaced the transformer/driver with a tube/driver, single-ended at that. Helped to go from electret configuration to electrostatic. Later, I got a Static Headroom, and at first I thought it did nothing, but as I listened, I found I could listen louder with it, or longer before fatigue set in.

HOWEVER - for long-term comfort, I have found [gets ready to duck] near-field listening with my Proton 300/301 can not be bested. [ducks]

Laz

Oct 11, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #69 of 80
I own Sennheiser HD-595.

When I connect them to my philips amp in the living room I don't feel fatigue (at least for 2h/3h, I never listened more than that straight in a row).

If I connect the headphones to my PC soundcard, I start to feel fatigue after 15/20 minutes. The sound is awful probably with lots of noise and distortion...

So I think that, if you have good headphones, the fatigue depends mainly on the source you're using, if it's a lousy source, you'll probably feel fatigue in a short period of time, because of the noise and distortion.

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #70 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgravato
So I think that, if you have good headphones, the fatigue depends mainly on the source you're using, if it's a lousy source, you'll probably feel fatigue in a short period of time, because of the noise and distortion.

At Saturday's meet in Lawrence, Kansas, three of us listened to the Telarc 1812 Overture, the one recorded with live cannon shots. As we began, I commented that I hoped we didn't go the way of the fellow on "The Fifth Element," the one who was monitoring the President with a roach-microphone - WHACK!! I was sure my ears whould hurt the next morning. The cannon shots were awesome, but the ears were fine. Clean recording, clean CDP, clean amp, clean 'phones, happy ears!

Laz

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #71 of 80
I've listened to my ER4 s for about 11 hours straight on more than one occasion.
Generally they get at least 6 hours at a sitting.
etysmile.gif

The RS-1 I've done 4 or 5 hours at a sitting with. I only take them off becuase I have other things that I need to do.

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #72 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaied
Really? I seem to want to stop listening through my portable after 3/4 hrs(Panasonic SLMP70) but some reason they sound better when hooked to my PC (Much more clarity and ambience) Can you explain? Is it the soundcard?

I have iron ears and an ipod. The headphone amplifier might be taking something off the bass...and I haven't begun running my amp through the line-out yet (but I will)...

Does that explain anything?

Oct 11, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #73 of 80
Well that sorta does. So are you saying that the headphone-amplifiers in a portable and a PC are very different (My intuition is saying "yes you fool!") and so to make up for lost amplification in portables, you guys use headphone amps? Am I right?

Oct 11, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #74 of 80
FWIW, I have listened to my HD-590's for I believe 6 hours straight one time. I never got fatigued by them. Maybe I am not from this earth
tongue.gif
I could listen to my Klipsch bookshelves for days if I had the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back