fatigue: how long can you listen for?
Feb 26, 2004 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

tomek

500+ Head-Fier
after listening to the royal tenenbaums soundtrack last night, i realized that for the first 5 tracks of so i was loving it, but fatigue kicked in after that.

i find it 'uncomfortable' to listen to music for more than a cd using my headphones. on my speakers, i can listen and listen.

i'd say that this is the biggest drawback to headphones. i really enjoy listening on the stax, the headstage and detail are phenomenal, but i just can't seem to listen for any length of time, i get a kind of headache from it.

how long can you listen for before this sets in?

Feb 26, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 80
It depends how much I'm focusing on the music. I can go for an hour before pulling out my Shure e2s and a bit shorter with the Eggos. I don't know why, but the Eggos have been bothering me lately. All the little sounds they make when you move..

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 80
Theres probably something in your system chain causing your ear fatigue...

Biggie.

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 80
To be honest, I listen a lot to my Senn 650's and have yet to experience any fatigue whatsoever, except for occasions where I turn up the volume too loud for my taste for an extended period. I literally can sit and enjoy them for hours at a time.

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by danaa
To be honest, I listen a lot to my Senn 650's and have yet to experience any fatigue whatsoever, except for occasions where I turn up the volume too loud for my taste for an extended period. I literally can sit and enjoy them for hours at a time.

Have to agree with that (I have 600s)... someone on here mentioned quite recently that they start listening at a lower volume than normal and then only turning up the volume after they are aclimatised to this lower volume. I find that I can only listen to my Grado 80s for about 2 hours before fatigue, but the senn 600s using this 'start low, aim a little higher' pattern of use I can forget they are on my head... then I turn them up another notch :wink:

lofi

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 80
Problem I run into isn't listening fatigue.

Using the HD650, I start to feel the Clamp somewhere into the first hour. They do seem to be loosening up with use, however.

The Stax start to get hot after the first 20-30 minutes. I find myself lifting the pads slightly away from my head to let my ears cool off. Never had the problem with any other headphone. Any Stax owners have a solution?

BW

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 80
12+ hours

My record was 26 straight hours at a LAN. No fatigue, but I had to pack up so it ended.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 27, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 80
Never experienced ear fatigue here
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 80
Depends on how I'm listening. If I'm doing critical listening to compare things and pick out details I'm done after about an hour, after that I just don't feel that great listening anymore. If I'm just listening for fun and grooving along with the music I can listen all day on either my Sen 580s or Grado 225s.

Feb 27, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 80
If I had a more comfortable chair I could listen for hours on end. No fatigue from the headphones at all.

I find that when I start a CD I'm there listening until it's over. CD after CD.

I also find I can't do anything when I'm listening. I lose interest in everything and just lean back and listen to the music.

Mitch

Feb 27, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Ward
The Stax start to get hot after the first 20-30 minutes. I find myself lifting the pads slightly away from my head to let my ears cool off. Never had the problem with any other headphone. Any Stax owners have a solution?

I know this is going to sound crazy to you, but wear less clothing (or) lower the room temperature.

The body expels the greatest amount of heat through the head region. Reduce your body's core temperature - the torso - and the circulatory system will not have to try to expel so much heat through the heat via increased blood flow.

Since you are covering your ears - a major area of heat loss due to dense capilliary flow - your body's total ability to expel heat is also reduced.

You are, in somewhat of an essence, putting on a pair of sealed earmuffs in an indoor environment, and you feel you are overheating.

Wear less clothing on your torso, or in a cooler environment (a chair not as warm, no coverings, etc) and the torso will hopefully expel enough heat that your ears won't have to be used as much, reducing or eliminating that effect.

Try listening in a light t-shirt instead of your outdoor shirt.

Feb 27, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
12+ hours

My record was 26 straight hours at a LAN. No fatigue, but I had to pack up so it ended.

Cheers,
Geek

Dang son!! What... how could you just plant yourself down for 26 hours straight?!

Some real dedication out there. I never ran into fatigue... part of the problem is that I usually don't listen for more than 2 hours in one sitting. Usually its because I have work to do, but even when I'm really free I just feel like I need to go work out, or read a book or just do something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back