fatigue: how long can you listen for?
Feb 27, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #16 of 80
Quote:

I know this is going to sound crazy to you, but wear less clothing (or) lower the room temperature.

Actually, it makes very good sense. I'm really sensitive to cold, and I do tend to dress more warmly than most. I'll give it a try.

Incidentally, Snake, the Stax system has turned out to be a revelation. Now I know what you've been talking about. Thanks.

BW

Feb 27, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #17 of 80
rs-1 i can go maybe 2-3 hours straight. akg k501 are my back up though, fatigue never sets in with those.

Feb 27, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 80
Crossfeed amps should cut the listening fatigue down by a LOT. Generally speaking, in a normal listening environment you never hear anything in one ear only. You hear it in both ears, one slighlty after the other (unless the sound source is directly in front or behind). Whit headphones any signal thats on one channel only is only heard in one ear. Since your brain wants to hear the time delay between ears to tell where something is comming from, and doesn't get it with headphones, it strains to figure out where the sound is coming from, and you get listening fatigue.

Feb 27, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #19 of 80
You do not get listening fatigue unless something is wrong or weird in your system, and at normal to low listening levels, with good transducers, and in a proper system, you virtually could listen forever, I never had experienced fatigue with my CD3000 at normal levels of listening and sometimes I use it almost the whole day, and it is consider by some, a fatiguing headphone, so with a more neutral headphone, it is virtually very hard to get...at normal listening levels, if you play it too loud or the music has some distortions or problems, the fatigue will show up more sooner than later....

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 80
well sovkiller, i guess that there is just something wrong with me then...

i don't think it's a brightness issue, i've had trouble with all headphones. i really enjoy listening to them, but i just can't do it for extended periods of time.

i suspect it's a crossfeed issue, i'll look at it more closely over the next little while and see whether old heavily stereo seperated recordings fatigue me faster.

so biggie, your system doesn't fatigue you? perhaps i should borrow it for a while to determine whether it's just my cables or something. good idea.

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #21 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
well sovkiller, i guess that there is just something wrong with me then...

i don't think it's a brightness issue, i've had trouble with all headphones. i really enjoy listening to them, but i just can't do it for extended periods of time.

i suspect it's a crossfeed issue, i'll look at it more closely over the next little while and see whether old heavily stereo seperated recordings fatigue me faster.

so biggie, your system doesn't fatigue you? perhaps i should borrow it for a while to determine whether it's just my cables or something. good idea.

Crossfeed, nope, I don't think so, I just tried Pink Floyd's one, trying to get the "sonic nirvana"...lol....and after some listening, IME, I decided that, even when I believe it is the right way of listening music with headphones, the effect is so subtle, that honestly I prefer to invest in other parts of the system first, or maybe it was an issue related with the active ground channel of the PPA (I don't know), or the huge CD3000 soundstage, but honestly if all crossfeeds works like his, with the CD3000 and PPA, and with my ears, I do not need it, I do feel that I'm not missing anything...maybe I have cloth ears who knows....but I can listen the whole damned day with them, straight from the jack of my PPA, I wish to have all that time, though

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #22 of 80
I've had no fatigue problems with the HD 580s, AFTER I upgraded my source. The clamping is not so bad anymore but it has never gone away completely though.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #24 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyll Hertsens
Crossfeed amps should cut the listening fatigue down by a LOT.

I agree completely with Tyll on this. Before having crossfeed, I would listen to music (even with comfy headphones such as HD 580/600/650s) for a couple of hours and be completely worn out.

Since buying an amp with a two-level (high-low) crossfeed, I find that I can listen for 5-6 hours before the physical clamping of the headphones on my ears starts to bother me. Listening to music itself does not fatigue me anymore.

(Note: When I had Grados, I could only listen to music for an hour at most before my ears started to hurt. Sonic fatigue never had a chance to enter the picture.)

D.

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #26 of 80
I'd have to say that I can wear my CD780's all day long without getting much fatigue, because they are just so damn comfortable. I wore them for like 16 hours once and I forgot that they were on my head for like 5 hours.

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #27 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Ward
Actually, it makes very good sense. I'm really sensitive to cold, and I do tend to dress more warmly than most. I'll give it a try.

Incidentally, Snake, the Stax system has turned out to be a revelation. Now I know what you've been talking about. Thanks.

You are always welcome.
lambda.gif
Enjoy them in the best of health and happiness.

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #28 of 80
AKG K240's are so comfortable. I was wearing them when I slept!

I can only listen to 2-3 songs most if I am actually analyzing them (ie Comparing headphones, comparing arrangments, Transcribing solos etc) though.

The other thing is, if I am studying or reading, I'd have to be very careful because volume that is too high or songs that are too annoying can really disturb me.

Other than that, headphones are never fatiguing

280smile.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #29 of 80
With Senn 600s and my Max, I could listen for a couple of hours at most, even with crossfeed on. With the Earmax, I can now listen much longer with less subjective sense of fatigue. So rather than crossfeed, I'd suggest you try a tube amp if you haven't already.

With my current speaker setup, I have no listening fatigue--8 hour + sessions are no problem at all.

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #30 of 80
HD580 about 2 hours before my ears get really uncomfortable.

Shure e5 about 8 hours before my canals hurt.

Sony fontopia nudes ~ forever... most transparent wearing device ever, stick them in and forget (if only they sounded great).

Senn 480 little over an hour until ear pain becomes unbearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back