fatigue: how long can you listen for?
Oct 7, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #50 of 80
K1000's about 3 hours, but it's due to pain of the top of my ear where my glasses rest, the temple pads press them into my ear.

R10's forever.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Oct 7, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #51 of 80
HD650 w/ SD cable, 3-5 hours, this combination is RUTHLESS, excellent source is a must.

HD650 w/ stock, 4-8 hours, at the same fatigue level as the DT880 sound-wise, but the clamp still gets to me.

DT880, 8+ hours, the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, very pleasant sound.

SR60, 2-4 hours, mainly due to ear pressure on my right lobe.

It's also very possible that a channel imbalance in my pair of HD650s is to blame.

Oct 7, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #52 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
I generally take a break after about an hour. My ears get tired, and I generally won't listen for more than 2 hours a day.

Same here, after about two hours of listening be it with my AT woodies, CD3K's or the DT 531 I need to give my ears a break from being pressed against with the cans and I generally don't spend more than three to four hours a day listening.

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #53 of 80
When I had a pair of EM9r I wore and listen to them non-stop from ~9am in the morning to 11pm at night. Since they're pretty open I just turn down the volume during classes so I can listen to both the lectures and the music. So I guess that's about 14 hours?
redface.gif
Did this with a pair of E888 recently too...

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #54 of 80
I know this is an older thread but I can listen all of the time during my free time or days off from work because I only turn up the volume just enough to maintain the weakest stereo image possible. Once I get my ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi back, I expect that the internal gain will be set higher which will lead to two logical outcomes: 1. I will have a Dickens of a time finding the weakest stereo image using my Ue-10 PROs and my Emmeline HR-2 with the Nobel Pot, 2. I will need a DACT stepped attenuator down the road (HeadRoom Max 2004 Reference Module with Dual-Input & custom Elma DACT stepped attenuator).

This is the reason why I can listen for endless hours when I have free time between studying, working, and more studying. Keep the volume as low as possible for your own good.

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #55 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
The Stax start to get hot after the first 20-30 minutes. I find myself lifting the pads slightly away from my head to let my ears cool off. Never had the problem with any other headphone. Any Stax owners have a solution?
BW

you might want to try what the manual says and cut some gauze in the shape of the earpads... i'm going to try that. (I got bored one night and put my bedsheet over both ears and put on the stax. wonderfully comfortable but lost too much high end, and I wasnt about to cut holes in my sheet
lambda.gif
)

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #56 of 80
Sennheiser PX100s - forever.

Koss Porta Pros with 75 ohm adapter - forever.

Koss Porta Pros without 75 ohm adapter - 1-2 hours.

ATH-A900s - 5-6 hours (they are heavy).

Currently listening to: "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" by Sarah McLachlan on my Koss Porta Pros.

Oct 7, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #57 of 80
I could go from the time i wake till i have to sleep with eggos. They are my favorite, the DT770 isnt bad. I think ive gone 8 hours playing Motor city online without takign them off. The eggos are so comfortable that i jerked the plug out so many times i had to buy new ones and thats why im here today because i was on a quest for new headphones. $800. later and im still here
eggosmile.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #58 of 80
With my rs-1/ra-1 one cd is all I can really enjoy before my ears and brain decide that taking in all this information isn't so enjoyable anymore. Usually the music starts to sound subjectively more compressed and less detailed, etc. Obviously if I listen louder then it may be half a cd but less volume just means I ignore it more and so I can put on multiple cds.

Oct 7, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #59 of 80
I wonder if the HD25's are fatigue-inducing, or if it's my A2 ZS. Anyways, depending on what I'm listening I'd say between one to eight hours. One thing I've noticed that I don't seem to get any listening fatigue at all if I'm tired. Plus, everything just sounds, well, better. Can't explain it really.

edit:

Come to think of it, perhaps the ever so slight backround hiss from the soundcard's output is to blame. How I'd love to get a reasonably priced DAC...

Oct 7, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #60 of 80
I have never once experienced wear or hearing fatigue with my Senn 600s on my Cary. SET + the Senn sound is as unfatiguing as I can imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back