Fatal flaw with Audeze EL-8 ???
Dec 24, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #61 of 137
I have this problem with the loose cable.  The connectors fit so loosely that if I turn my head the cables fall out.  I've been going back and forth with Audeze through their customer service website.  So far I am less than impressed:  they offered to replace the headphones, but I am to return them at my expense, and will not receive a replacement for 5-7 business days.  My expectation was that they would send a pre-paid shipping label for the return, and ship a replacement immediately.  I would have no problem giving them a credit card number to protect them in case I flake and never send back the defective cans; I don't want to be without headphones for 1-2 weeks because of a design or QC issue on the manufacturer's end.  Are my expectations unrealistic?

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #62 of 137
  I have this problem with the loose cable.  The connectors fit so loosely that if I turn my head the cables fall out.  I've been going back and forth with Audeze through their customer service website.  So far I am less than impressed:  they offered to replace the headphones, but I am to return them at my expense, and will not receive a replacement for 5-7 business days.  My expectation was that they would send a pre-paid shipping label for the return, and ship a replacement immediately.  I would have no problem giving them a credit card number to protect them in case I flake and never send back the defective cans; I don't want to be without headphones for 1-2 weeks because of a design or QC issue on the manufacturer's end.  Are my expectations unrealistic?

That's pretty much the same policy as most of the headphone manufacturers.  If you bought them from a dealer, you could return them there and perhaps get an immediate replacement or loaner.

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #63 of 137

That's pretty much the same policy as most of the headphone manufacturers.  If you bought them from a dealer, you could return them there and perhaps get an immediate replacement or loaner.

I bought mine from a dealer and it took me 4 weeks to get my replacements. Maybe if I lived in the same town as the dealer I could've gotten a loaner, but mailing them back I had to go through the RMA process.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #64 of 137
More concerns about Audeze...

My expectation is that Audeze will eventually fix this connector issue.  Until then, Audeze will address customer problems with the current cable, right?  Now I am not so sure :frowning2:

First, here is the problem:  The 3.5mm jack tip fell off my cable:

I opened a support request on the Audeze site on Tuesday.  So far, not a sound from Audeze:

Is Audeze still in business?

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #65 of 137
  More concerns about Audeze...

My expectation is that Audeze will eventually fix this connector issue.  Until then, Audeze will address customer problems with the current cable, right?  Now I am not so sure :frowning2:

First, here is the problem:  The 3.5mm jack tip fell off my cable

Is Audeze still in business?

The same thing happened to me-only the tip came off in my X5ii............I managed to get it out, it was my 4th cable that went bad, though the 1st where the tip came off. My 5th cable has a short in it and I'm just about done with this headphone.............it's a shame because it sounds brilliant.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #66 of 137
Here's an update about my experiences with the Audeze EL-8C:

Design Improvements 

Audeze was nice enough to reach out to me personally about this thread (FWIW: I am the OP). They sent sent me a review copy of the next version of the EL-8C. Not many manufacturers will do anything like that - especially with someone like me who clearly isn't a dogmatic fan boy.  +3 for Audeze service.

The new model has a new connector with more magnets and presumably firmer cable-to-phone connections. Unfortunately the new model arrived with the left ear piece not working.  I switch cables to confirm it was a defective set of phones. Sorry but I can't describe any sonic differences with the new model.  -1 for Audeze quality control.

I visually examined the new connector. It looks the same and is at least electrically interchangeable with the original cable. The sample I received behaves mechanically the same as its predecessor: Decent connection that can be pulled out with a reasonable amount of force. You can induce noise by wiggling the connection.  There is no reason why you should need to induce noise when listening although it could happen when you are walking around. -1 for Audeze design for not improving the original by a perceivable margin  

My Broken 3.5mm Connector

I recently posted my frustration getting an answer from Audeze customer support about my broken 3.5mm connector. Low and behold after 3 weeks of silence, I received an answer from Audeze apologizing for the delay. They cited staffing issues and CES for conspiring to delay their response. They agreed to ship a new cable with no further questions asked. -1 for slow response, +1 for doing the right thing.

My overall opinion of Audeze remains positive - but it is a close call :)  

After six months, I am still using the EL-8Cs daily at work. They continue to deliver a pleasing experience - and I don't think there is a better headphone for me to use in an engineering office environment. Audeze is a small company with a few issues related to quality control and design. When there is a problem, they eventually respond and do a much better than average job to resolve difficulties.

I am seriously considering the LCD-XC for use in noisy environments away from work (for example when traveling). Had my recent experiences with Audeze been more negative, I would certainly look elsewhere. As it stands right now, my opinion is: Audeze is trustworthy, reasonably competent (although far from perfect), and will continue to have my business in the future.     

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #67 of 137
I have similar experiences with Audeze customer support-sometimes lengthy delays receiving it but once I got it, it was very good. In the end though, I think the connector/cabling was just poorly designed and unfixable and it's not a portable headphone just because of that glaring issue. It ticks all the other boxes for a portable phone except possibly weight. I really want the new Cypher cable but guess what? It has the same connector so you're going to have the same problem.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #68 of 137
My EL-8 cable just crapped out on me. Contacted Audeze but no response.

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #69 of 137
  My EL-8 cable just crapped out on me. Contacted Audeze but no response.

I'm pretty sure they'll get back to you within the next two weeks, and when they do you'll get a replacement.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #70 of 137
 Really? Good to know. I ordered a new one from them this morning. Who knows, maybe they will cross-reference...

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #71 of 137
I did like you did, bought a new one and they sent a replacement so i would up with 2 cables.

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #72 of 137

You'll probably need them
blink.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #73 of 137
Feb 20, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #74 of 137
considering these Phones. It appears everyone is still having issues?

Sound I ask the dealer if these have the new connector with more magnets and firmer cable to phone connection?

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #75 of 137
Having issues getting responses from Audeze, let alone getting the damn headphones working

Users who are viewing this thread

Back