Fatal flaw with Audeze EL-8 ???
Feb 20, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #76 of 137
  considering these Phones. It appears everyone is still having issues?

Sound I ask the dealer if these have the new connector with more magnets and firmer cable to phone connection?

I really don't think it makes a difference.

Having issues getting responses from Audeze, let alone getting the damn headphones working

Give it another week.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #77 of 137
Here is a question for the group.

Using just my iphone headphone sounds excellent.

Just purchased the Deckard for my desk top set up. On Mid and High Gain There is a static tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap when no music is playing. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #78 of 137
It would appear that Audeze were quite busy and backlogged, as they have since been very responsive and are sending me a new cable. I did order a new one prior to that, which has arrived. Unfortunately, the left side is still not working (which is odd because I tried the 'right' cable connector on the left channel and it worked). They have asked me to send in the whole unit. They are taking good care of me
smile.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #79 of 137
  It would appear that Audeze were quite busy and backlogged, as they have since been very responsive and are sending me a new cable. I did order a new one prior to that, which has arrived. Unfortunately, the left side is still not working (which is odd because I tried the 'right' cable connector on the left channel and it worked). They have asked me to send in the whole unit. They are taking good care of me
smile.gif

I just got a letter from from Fedex saying I owe $15 for shipping that Audeze had made on my RMA.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #80 of 137
Recently purchase a pair of Audeze el8 open back headphones. They do sound good but i have noticed that they do appear to make a grating bubble-wrap plastic type sound whenever i move my head from left to right. They do it even when the cables aren't connected to the cups. It almost sounds as if some plastic material is moving around inside the cups. Its present in both cups more slightly more noticeable in the left than right. Am i being naive in thinking that this might go away when the materials limber up a bit after some prolonged use. Or is this likely to be precursor to driver failure. Any advice you guys have would be greatly valued!

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #81 of 137
  Recently purchase a pair of Audeze el8 open back headphones. They do sound good but i have noticed that they do appear to make a grating bubble-wrap plastic type sound whenever i move my head from left to right. They do it even when the cables aren't connected to the cups. It almost sounds as if some plastic material is moving around inside the cups. Its present in both cups more slightly more noticeable in the left than right. Am i being naive in thinking that this might go away when the materials limber up a bit after some prolonged use. Or is this likely to be precursor to driver failure. Any advice you guys have would be greatly valued!

Is the box you bought them in white or black. If black these are the old model. If white they are the new revised model which I have not heard any issues with.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #82 of 137
Hi it's the white box version, it's a newish model the inspection card was dated March 2016. Do you know what's meant to be different about the white box version. Is it just meant to be better package protection. Or are the cans actually different?

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #83 of 137
Hi it's the white box version, it's a newish model the inspection card was dated March 2016. Do you know what's meant to be different about the white box version. Is it just meant to be better package protection. Or are the cans actually different?

The Cans are different as mentioned in the EL-8's Closed back thread.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #84 of 137
The plastic cracking sound got noticeably worse on my el8 so I got them replaced. Would you believe it same problem again, this time only in the left ear. White box version again. I can't believe they actually test these things before they go out

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #85 of 137
I must say: I didn't expect to be writing this post any time soon.

I am the OP of this thread who has previously lamented about a couple of problems:

1) Loose EL-8 connectors
2) Easily broken 1/8" TRS jack

I can also share the third significant problem I've had: The plastic plates on the underside of the headband first cracked and then failed after daily use for 11-1/2 months.  

If you have cracks around the underside screw holes, don't ignore them. I found cracks after six months. A few months later, I had to hold the headband together with electrical tape.

Now here is the part I did NOT expect to be writing about: Let's talk about how Audeze handled my latest problem...

CUSTOMER SUPPORT RESPONSIVENESS

In January, it took Audeze 21 days to initially respond and 10 additional days to get me a replacement cable. This time I got a pre-paid FedEx label from Audeze Support on the same day, shipped the next day and received a replacement  EL-8C less than 5 days later.  That's a monumental improvement - on par with Amazon and other top-tier customer support organizations.

PRODUCT IMPROVEMENTS

I got one of the new "white box" EL-8s. I am happy to report that Audeze has made significant progress on the loose and wobbly connector that I initially complained about a year ago.  The magnets and spring contacts on the headphones are WAY better than any previous EL-8.  

How much better?  Let's just say this vvvvv would have been impossible with the original EL-8s.

Audeze shipped me a prototype of this new model last winter.  It was not much better than the original - and I told them so.  I almost wonder if I was shipped an incorrect set of phones?

Anyways: IMHO the latest version of the EL-8 solves the loose connector problem once and for all.

The new cable is noticeably stiffer too. It is a little harder to rollup but I have a feeling it will be more durable.

The plastic headband plates don't appear to be different. They might be - I just won't know until I take them apart :).  With that in mind, you should consider the EL-8s to be somewhat fragile.  Home users probably won't notice but I use my EL-8s everyday at work.  I am not rough on them. They just get a lot of use. I think the plastic headband parts are a weak point in an otherwise decent design.

Oh yeah, I think this version sounds better too!  Slightly cleaner base and better treble extension. But without having the original around to compare, my opinion on sound differences will be fairly useless.

FINAL VERDICT

People with other Audeze products will probably agree: Early production runs have quality and durability issues. To their credit, Audeze Support works hard (although sometimes slowly) to fix problems. Eventually, Audeze gets the bugs out and starts producing models with much higher quality. The EL-8 fits this pattern. My one original EL-8 was mediocre at best. The new March 2016  'white box' version is a better product. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #86 of 137
  I must say: I didn't expect to be writing this post any time soon.

I am the OP of this thread who has previously lamented about a couple of problems:

1) Loose EL-8 connectors
2) Easily broken 1/8" TRS jack

I can also share the third significant problem I've had: The plastic plates on the underside of the headband first cracked and then failed after daily use for 11-1/2 months.  

If you have cracks around the underside screw holes, don't ignore them. I found cracks after six months. A few months later, I had to hold the headband together with electrical tape.

Now here is the part I did NOT expect to be writing about: Let's talk about how Audeze handled my latest problem...

CUSTOMER SUPPORT RESPONSIVENESS

In January, it took Audeze 21 days to initially respond and 10 additional days to get me a replacement cable. This time I got a pre-paid FedEx label from Audeze Support on the same day, shipped the next day and received a replacement  EL-8C less than 5 days later.  That's a monumental improvement - on par with Amazon and other top-tier customer support organizations.

PRODUCT IMPROVEMENTS

I got one of the new "white box" EL-8s. I am happy to report that Audeze has made significant progress on the loose and wobbly connector that I initially complained about a year ago.  The magnets and spring contacts on the headphones are WAY better than any previous EL-8.  

How much better?  Let's just say this vvvvv would have been impossible with the original EL-8s.

Audeze shipped me a prototype of this new model last winter.  It was not much better than the original - and I told them so.  I almost wonder if I was shipped an incorrect set of phones?

Anyways: IMHO the latest version of the EL-8 solves the loose connector problem once and for all.

The new cable is noticeably stiffer too. It is a little harder to rollup but I have a feeling it will be more durable.

The plastic headband plates don't appear to be different. They might be - I just won't know until I take them apart :).  With that in mind, you should consider the EL-8s to be somewhat fragile.  Home users probably won't notice but I use my EL-8s everyday at work.  I am not rough on them. They just get a lot of use. I think the plastic headband parts are a weak point in an otherwise decent design.

Oh yeah, I think this version sounds better too!  Slightly cleaner base and better treble extension. But without having the original around to compare, my opinion on sound differences will be fairly useless.

FINAL VERDICT

People with other Audeze products will probably agree: Early production runs have quality and durability issues. To their credit, Audeze Support works hard (although sometimes slowly) to fix problems. Eventually, Audeze gets the bugs out and starts producing models with much higher quality. The EL-8 fits this pattern. My one original EL-8 was mediocre at best. The new March 2016  'white box' version is a better product. 

Mine are from Feb 2016 - No issues.

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #87 of 137

I've owned several planar headphones. All of them have managed to produce unexplained cracks and pops, from time to time.

Check out your listening environment. Carpets and slippers can generate static electricity that affect planar but not conventional drivers.     Cables can add to a problem - but if I have headphones with static issues, changing cables has never eliminated the problem.  Same thing with amps. If I have planar phones that are susceptible to static, changing amps has never removed the problem. Try outside on the grass. That's a fairly benign environment.

This phenomena is made more vexing by the small numbers of people reporting planar static issues. Audiophiles claim to be able to distinguish low oxygen, directional power cables yet they miss static induced artifacts with planar headphones.  

If changing your listening environment does not help, give Audeze a call. I can't imagine why the problem would go away by itself over time. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #88 of 137
Has anyone run across the connector as a standalone (IE: build your own cable) connector? I'm interested in doing just that. I don't want to spend $40 for just the connectors though (as in buying another cable).

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #89 of 137
  Has anyone run across the connector as a standalone (IE: build your own cable) connector? I'm interested in doing just that. I don't want to spend $40 for just the connectors though (as in buying another cable).

There have been some custom cable in the EL-8 Thread I believe. Can't remember who makes them but it seems like the connectors are out there. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #90 of 137
New on here. I got a pair of Audeze el-8 and the cables suck. I even got a brand new replacement from Audeze and they were cutting out within 1 week. It's the part that connects to my iPhone. If I press it down in a certain way then they work. So the issue is at the base. Any suggestions?? I'm tired of this crap. My headphones are just sitting untouched without use now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back