Fatal flaw with Audeze EL-8 ???
Apr 27, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #16 of 137
This entire 'loose connector' problem could be easily solved. 

But it would require that the earcup be redesigned to allow for the oval center portion of the connectors to be completely recessed into the bottom of the earcup. 

Unfortunately, until this happens, the connectors will continue to be easily pulled out when even the slightest amount of tension is applied to them.  How Audeze missed this glaringly obvious design flaw, I have no idea.

I experienced this problem firsthand at the SoCal CanJam, and until this issue is fixed, it is sadly a deal-breaker for me on these otherwise very nice headphones.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 137
I came to head-fi just to read up on the initial release before I put my order in, I had actually pre-ordered then cancelled it after it was delayed a bit, this is exactly what I needed to see, this is a deal breaker for me, I'll wait a little bit and see if things hold up or changes are made I hope so this will be my first Audeze and I want to love it, not "I'd love this but...".

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 137
I've been using this product for a few months now. Daily in my work place for around 6 hours total a day. I don't see any problem with the connector. It is far from horrible. For me, it just works. My only complaint is not owning these headphones earlier. They are my goto headphones in the office ^_^ Calling this a "FATAL FLAW" is ridiculous.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #19 of 137
  I've been using this product for a few months now. Daily in my work place for around 6 hours total a day. I don't see any problem with the connector. It is far from horrible. For me, it just works. My only complaint is not owning these headphones earlier. They are my goto headphones in the office ^_^ Calling this a "FATAL FLAW" is ridiculous.

The connector issue is a matter of opinion.  

Audiophiles often favor unidirectional virgin copper cables with low latency crystalline jackets and gold infused solder. For them, a loose connector has got to be a concern - unless cables don't really matter much (which many of them already know but can't admit because their cables cost more than their HPs).

I don't like that I can induce noise by wiggling the connectors. This is not a problem in day-to-day usage.  I just think the connectors could loosen more with use in a year or so**.  Then we would have a fatal flaw for average users.

** I glued my connectors in place.  I don't expect them to loosen with use.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #20 of 137

Good to hear someone enjoying these cans. I did too before I had a problem with the cup going dead. I dont see how you have them on your head 6 hours a day though. That weight must be giving you a balled spot by now.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #21 of 137

Good to hear someone enjoying these cans. I did too before I had a problem with the cup going dead. I dont see how you have them on your head 6 hours a day though. That weight must be giving you a balled spot by now.

I don't even notice that they're heavy tbh.
I tried listening to them through my iPhone today on the bus since I forgot my in ears at home but it sounded terrible.
I think they need a small amp at least, and some EQ'ing, to get rid of the "weirdness", becuase, I mean, they're technically very capable cans. There's just something off in the tuning imo.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #22 of 137
  I don't even notice that they're heavy tbh.
I tried listening to them through my iPhone today on the bus since I forgot my in ears at home but it sounded terrible.
I think they need a small amp at least, and some EQ'ing, to get rid of the "weirdness", becuase, I mean, they're technically very capable cans. There's just something off in the tuning imo.

I had no problem with the sound when I had mine. They worked fine off of the Ak Jr but I never tried them off of my phone. My main issue was reliability and weight. Maybe when they come out with the version 2 of these cans I might give them another go. Looking for better reliability, connectors, and some weight reduction. Also hoping for a decent case for a 700 dollar pair of headphones.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #23 of 137

I had no problem with the sound when I had mine. They worked fine off of the Ak Jr but I never tried them off of my phone. My main issue was reliability and weight. Maybe when they come out with the version 2 of these cans I might give them another go. Looking for better reliability, connectors, and some weight reduction. Also hoping for a decent case for a 700 dollar pair of headphones.

Yeah, the included carrying bag is just a slap in the face. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #24 of 137
  The connector issue is a matter of opinion.  

No it's not. My 3rd set of cables went bad and the only reason I don't have a 4th set is because Audeze hasn't sent the new one I paid for yet. Also, there's no sound coming out the left ear and I think it's a connector issue. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #25 of 137

No it's not. My 3rd set of cables went bad and the only reason I don't have a 4th set is because Audeze hasn't sent the new one I paid for yet. Also, there's no sound coming out the left ear and I think it's a connector issue. 

Why did you pay for a replacement?  The warranty should cover the failed cable - you should contact Audeze.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #26 of 137
  Why did you pay for a replacement?  The warranty should cover the failed cable - you should contact Audeze.

Been there done that-4 months ago, still waiting for my warranty replacement cable, I started out just wanting a mic cable for my phone, when that went bad I ordered another, and another. Audeze immediately said they were sending out another, but I haven't heard anything since 4 months ago. In the mean time, the cables I paid for have gotten to me within 3 days. I guess i should just send all of the bad ones back at the same time.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #27 of 137

Been there done that-4 months ago, still waiting for my warranty replacement cable, I started out just wanting a mic cable for my phone, when that went bad I ordered another, and another. Audeze immediately said they were sending out another, but I haven't heard anything since 4 months ago. In the mean time, the cables I paid for have gotten to me within 3 days. I guess i should just send all of the bad ones back at the same time.

I would give them a call.  For me, that's worked much better than the email based support when I've had issues.

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #28 of 137
The cups going dead is a well documented issue and what I was told is that the interior packaging mold pressure was too tight and damaging the headphones during transport. The newer models are shipping double boxed. Its actually so common that I contacted a pretty popular online retailer and I asked them why they pulled out the EL8's from their inventory and they told me "We were just never that happy with the overall sound and the large number of defective products we encountered was what justified our decision to take them off our site." Their customer service in my case was top notch. I just wish their product didnt need so much support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back