Fast, Accurate IEM recommendations for $100
Jan 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

walden

Head-Fier
Hi, I currently own HD 598s, which I love, but due to their lack of portability I'm in the market for a pair of in-ears. I've browsed two of the large IEM review threads several times, but they tended to be confusing by the way they are organized, or simply because of the short, concise remarks on the sound signatures. I've been a member of Head-Fi just a little while and lurked quite a lot longer, and have come to hate posts with long paragraphs, so I'll try to keep as short and as clear as possible.

Fit
My primary concern is that they isolate well, and fit comfortably. I love the way headphones like these: http://www.touchmyapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/HPR-MEEL-A151-fit.jpg are angled so that the chamber sits flush to the ear, and the cable can be worn over the ear. A pair like that would be much preferred.

Music

I listen to a pretty wide variety genres, in descending order:

Progressive Rock (Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Pink Floyd)
Classic Rock (Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix)

Metal (Opeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Tool)
Folk (Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, James Taylor)
Jazz (Miles Davis, Coltrane, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, Jaco Pastorius)
Blues (Willie Dixon, Chicken Shack, The Black Keys, BB King)
Very little classical 

Sound

I really love the signature of the 598s and realize no in-ear around my target price can match them but I would like something as close as possible. I like how the 598s portray the entire frequency range with accuracy, separation, and seem to never push one sound in front another. They just seem to always present instruments with equal presence where appropriate. 

On the contrary, I feel the Senn's are not fast enough, especially for the first three genres I listed. I'd like a pair of headphones with a more intimate feel, slightly brighter treble, fast and deep reaching, punchier bass for metal and such.

Budget

Hoping to spend ~$100 but no more than $150 if they're worth the price bump.

Other

Yes, I obnoxiously made bold all the important details with hopes I make myself a little more clear.

Despite the way I listed music in descending order, I really do listen to all the genres I listed a lot. Headphones which can do all of these things pretty well would be great, but with regard to the bold terms.

I must not forget, they will be used right out of an ipod.

Any recommendations would be great, reasons WHY would be very, very appreciated too. 

Thanks to all in advance.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 69
I'd like a pair of headphones with a more intimate feel, slightly brighter treble, fast and deep reaching, punchier bass

You pretty much described the TF10's sound signature there, so you might want to check them out (But they're over your budget, 165$ on amazon). 

Otherwise you might want to check out the HF5 which can be had for about 95$. They analytical and very detailed but they're light in bass. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 69
I have both the HF5 and UE700 and, while both are very nice sounding earphones for my tastes, neither will deliver "deep reaching, punchier bass". Just take this into consideration.  Both deliver very good detail and will probably meet your expectations of an "intimate feel".  At a $100 price point there will be trade offs -- you need to pick the ones that you can easiest live with.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 69
Quote:
You pretty much described the TF10's sound signature there, so you might want to check them out (But they're over your budget, 165$ on amazon). 

Otherwise you might want to check out the HF5 which can be had for about 95$. They analytical and very detailed but they're light in bass. 

I guess I did a good job describing then! Considering that in-ears often have a shorter life expectancy than full-sized headphones, right now I'm leaning toward the HF5. Besides I don't mind light bass, as long as it's deep reaching, and detailed, which a few quick reviews I read seem to point to. Also the ability to wear them over the ear (strait up?) appeals to me for some reason.

Thank you all for the quick responses.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 69

Quote:
I have both the HF5 and UE700 and, while both are very nice sounding earphones for my tastes, neither will deliver "deep reaching, punchier bass". Just take this into consideration.  Both deliver very good detail and will probably meet your expectations of an "intimate feel".  At a $100 price point there will be trade offs -- you need to pick the ones that you can easiest live with.

Thanks for the input, I guessed there may be a few trade offs. The UE700 prices tended to be higher than the HF5, can anyone offer bit of a comparison between the two? Also, can anyone suggest some headphones that are perhaps less analytic, but that have a slightly more bass heavy sound for comparison?

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 69

I think Il Mostro is the best one to ask since he has both side by side.

Like he said if you want heavy bass you will have to look elsewhere, the JVC FXC51 is bass heavy and intimate with good detail, however best suited for techno type music, you will have to EQ it for rock imho.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 69

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I guessed there may be a few trade offs. The UE700 prices tended to be higher than the HF5, can anyone offer bit of a comparison between the two? Also, can anyone suggest some headphones that are perhaps less analytic, but that have a slightly more bass heavy sound for comparison?

Listening flat, without EQ, with good source the UE700 delivers a little more LF.  Both have what I would call taut bass, and the quality of the bass is very good with both, but I feel the UE700 goes a both lower and has a little bit of punch to it.  It is also airer in presentation, while the HF5 excels in the pure detail department (and is far, far better in terms of isolation if this is important to you).  Both are cut from similar cloth so I am splitting hairs in contrasting their sound.  I wonder if one of the lower tiered Westone IEM's might work... W1, W2.  I have heard neither but own other Westones and really like their products.  Maybe others can chime in on these two.  Again, without going over budget, it is going to be tough to get the sparkle and intimacy you seek along with deep, punchy bass.  

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 69
Definitely the hf5. I've owned the TF10 for a day in which I've done extensive listening. And I don't believe in burn in for BA type drivers, it just can't compete with the hf5.

You won't get the punchy and deep bass, but you will get everything else that you seek.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 69
Thanks, especially Il Mostro and staxxx. Seems like the HF5 are the headphones with by far the least compromise in terms of what I listed, especially because of their isolation. I'll also check out some of the Westone products for comparison.

One last thing, can anyone who has used in-ears for a long time comment on their durability? I'm a little reluctant to even spend as little at $100 on in-ears because I feel they are not as long lasting a full sized cans.

Quote:
Definitely the hf5. I've owned the TF10 for a day in which I've done extensive listening. And I don't believe in burn in for BA type drivers, it just can't compete with the hf5.

You won't get the punchy and deep bass, but you will get everything else that you seek.

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #13 of 69
I've used my shure se115 for around 2 years. only had a pair of ruined olive eartips. if you take care of your IEMs they will last long enough IMO. I also bought the ety HF5 for 79 euros @ Macway.com last week. The thing is none of the packaged eartips fit me well. the triple flanges didn't isolate very well. so i used my shure olives and VOILA!! the isolation and sq were amazing! very different than my se115's more punchier bassy sound signature but much more clearer. go for the hf5. you won't regret it! and by the way pink floyd's The Great Gig In The Sky sounded awesome with the hf5!

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 69

Quote:

The TF10 definitely falls in the category you're looking for but seal and isolation might be an issue for some due to its design. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back