Fake FiiO Warning
Mar 12, 2010 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Some of you might have noticed FiiO has just became a sponsor of the forum since a few weeks ago. James, FiiO manager, told me they are still working things out with Jude so they are not ready to post in the forum just yet. However, there are more pressing issues that they want to get the words out first, and it is about fake FiiO that has already made its way to the market.

It has been awhile since a small handful of Chinese manufacturers coping the design of S1, S5 (both portable speaker / mp3 player) and E3 under different brand name. But recently FiiO starts to get reports of fake E5 clone in the market as well, using not only the same design but also being branded and sold as FiiO E5. The fake E5 uses different parts and needless to say, doesn't sound anywhere close to the real E5. These fake are mostly being sold on auction sites like eBay and Amazon Market Place. If you are about to purchase one, try looking for a more reliable dealer and website.

On other news, FiiO will *possibly* be updating E5 design and improve the hardware before the end of the year to counter the the problem of fake E5.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 27
Man the Fiio E5 already has a cheap price!! Are the fake Fiio's being sold cheaper? If so, then if you pay regular price for them, they probably wont be fake.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 27
I don't have the detail about the fake, but I can imagine the fake E5 is probably being sold close to the real deal to maximize the profit. FiiO will probably post more about the issue once they get their account up and running.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 27
Eventually, it will be Western companies doing the knock-offs. Better get cracking to find cheap labour for when the turnover happens. If the Chinese continue to make great knock offs and good products and handle all the outsourcing, it will happen.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 27
ok... how could the amp sound worse?

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 27
^^ Thats a little harsh IMHO. Its a $20 amp and cannot be compared to the $350 odd Pico that you have.

At $20 (including shipping) it can add life to the budget earphones like the Soundmagic PL-30 and others and its pretty compact to boot.

Jun 23, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #10 of 27
Also, are the E5s selling at dealextreme fakes?

Jun 23, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 27
DX has been selling E5 way before there is fake, so the assumption is they are selling the real thing. As for eBay, you will have to open it up to tell.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
Some of you might have noticed FiiO has just became a sponsor of the forum since a few weeks ago. James, FiiO manager, told me they are still working things out with Jude so they are not ready to post in the forum just yet. However, there are more pressing issues that they want to get the words out first, and it is about fake FiiO that has already made its way to the market.

It has been awhile since a small handful of Chinese manufacturers coping the design of S1, S5 (both portable speaker / mp3 player) and E3 under different brand name. But recently FiiO starts to get reports of fake E5 clone in the market as well, using not only the same design but also being branded and sold as FiiO E5. The fake E5 uses different parts and needless to say, doesn't sound anywhere close to the real E5. These fake are mostly being sold on auction sites like eBay and Amazon Market Place. If you are about to purchase one, try looking for a more reliable dealer and website.

On other news, FiiO will be updating E5 design and improve the hardware before the end of the year to counter the the problem of fake E5.

LoL.  Chinese fakes.  Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 27
I know the above comment is a bit tongue in cheek, but it's worthwhile to point out that the constant and fast improvement of original Chinese products are a readily observable phenomenon - people should be familiar with Teclast, Oppo, Haier, etc. When this happens, it is natural for less scrupulous businesses to want to make a quick buck by making a knock-off product. This is not just a Chinese phenomenon as even US businesses readily embraces knock offs - I was just at a Party City store where there is a huge "Crazy Bandz" sign and loads upon loads of colorful rubber bands but not a single actual genuine Crazy Bandz in sight.

It's also useful to point out that FiiO provides the list of authorized resellers on their website, so if you purchase from one of those sellers, you should be pretty safe. :)

This works well for those with an authorized reseller in their country. But for those that don't, try to purchase from an authorized reseller that will ship to your country.

Jack

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
On other news, FiiO will be updating E5 design and improve the hardware before the end of the year to counter the the problem of fake E5.

Fiio E5 v2, here I come :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back