FA7, the first Quad drivers IEM from FiiO , all Knowles BAs and 3D printed technical , MMCX design
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #226 of 680
Which bands mid bass are? I will try to eq.
There's a guide here that's a bit more specific: https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/
bass.png

The easiest way I found to tune EQ for mid-bass is to find some especially bass-preponderant tracks on modern, well-mastered recordings, and adjust this range to your taste. It's pretty easy to tell when the bass sounds too warm or boomy, when evaluating electric or acoustic bass, but I'm not so sure about electronic bass/EDM. Pay special attention to how the bass player's tone integrates with the attack of the kick drum; I find that's the easiest place to detect the onset of masking.

Try any tracks by the jazz group "Ill Considered", such as "Building Bridges", for instance. On flat EQ, with M bass tips, the tuning issues are quite evident. I kicked the bass down -2.8 dB (63 Hz), -3 dB (125 Hz), -2.5 dB (250 Hz). I'm still adjusting - older mixes make it a bit of a moving target on the FA7.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #227 of 680
I have been trying out the FA7 and wanted to jot down some brief impressions.

Firstly the boxing, presentation, and sheer quality of the IEMs is incredible - especially considering the price.

Fit is not bad - I have small ear canals which are very sensitive to having something in them. Strangely of all tips I found the stock ones on them (medium silicon) the most comfy, as they provide a good seal without having to be inserted too far. I found the smalls fit very well initially but they seem to go in deeper which can irritate the canal, and also going deeper means the body starts to irritate the outer part of my ear.

Sound wise, the bass is very present, and I can understand some of the reviews pointing to it being warm, and perhaps a little too thick. Contrary to some impressions and to what the FR graphs may tell, I do not find it bright at all - if anything, a little recessed, with vocals somewhat veiled.

However, I then decided to try out the JVC Spiral Dots - and to be frank, they completely transformed the IEMS (for the better):
- bass less bloated and better controlled, with great punch and low end rumble when called for
- details a lot clearer, without any muddying or muffling due to low or mid bass bleed
- vocals no longer sound veiled but are present without being harsh or in-your-face (which is how I found the FH5)
- soundstage width, as well as separation, vastly improved

In a nutshell, with stock tips these are decent; with the JVC tips they are marvelous. I suspect it has to do with them a) having a much wider opening; and b) being shorter so there is less distance between the surface of the IEM bore and the opening of the tip. We are talking millimeters here, but it makes a significant difference.

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #228 of 680
I have been trying out the FA7 and wanted to jot down some brief impressions.

Firstly the boxing, presentation, and sheer quality of the IEMs is incredible - especially considering the price.

Fit is not bad - I have small ear canals which are very sensitive to having something in them. Strangely of all tips I found the stock ones on them (medium silicon) the most comfy, as they provide a good seal without having to be inserted too far. I found the smalls fit very well initially but they seem to go in deeper which can irritate the canal, and also going deeper means the body starts to irritate the outer part of my ear.

Sound wise, the bass is very present, and I can understand some of the reviews pointing to it being warm, and perhaps a little too thick. Contrary to some impressions and to what the FR graphs may tell, I do not find it bright at all - if anything, a little recessed, with vocals somewhat veiled.

However, I then decided to try out the JVC Spiral Dots - and to be frank, they completely transformed the IEMS (for the better):
- bass less bloated and better controlled, with great punch and low end rumble when called for
- details a lot clearer, without any muddying or muffling due to low or mid bass bleed
- vocals no longer sound veiled but are present without being harsh or in-your-face (which is how I found the FH5)
- soundstage width, as well as separation, vastly improved

In a nutshell, with stock tips these are decent; with the JVC tips they are marvelous. I suspect it has to do with them a) having a much wider opening; and b) being shorter so there is less distance between the surface of the IEM bore and the opening of the tip. We are talking millimeters here, but it makes a significant difference.

Yeah - I tried the JVC's - does help a bit with the top end + seems to cut some of that darkness a bit, but still remains quite warm, and the bass bleed is still there (just not as much). Good observation though :) Unfortunately for me, impossible to maintain a good seal with the Spiral Dots. EQ still my best solution.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #230 of 680
For reference I was using size MS; no issue with seal. Perhaps you just require one size up?
I was about to suggest the same thing. I love the sound of the Spiral Dots with the FH5, but the MS size doesn’t seal 100%. I’ve ordered the M size which will hopefully seal better, but meanwhile finding the M size Fiio bass tips to have incredible seal (and sound).

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #232 of 680
Regarding the fit for FH5, I have tried all the stock eartips - none is the best, but quite ok were voice L and foam. I tried also Comply foam 400 and quite like them, but they produce quite dark sound with slightly overpowered bass. I tried also SpinFit M, but they are too small for me. Recently I tried bi-flange regular eartips and they are so far the best, because they fits very well and tight with good isolation and go deeper into ear canal, which is beneficial on FH5 which has short nozzle I guess.

tipsy_cayin.jpg

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #233 of 680
For reference I was using size MS; no issue with seal. Perhaps you just require one size up?

Ear canals non-symmetrical. I almost always use foams or hybrids - only way I can guarantee seal.

Yours was a nice find with the Spiral dots. I noticed a drop in isolation so I suspect what is happening is some bass leakage (explains the added brightness). Anyway - I can alleviate with EQ - but I think it highlights that the default tuning with default tips is simply too dark. Pity - because the rest of the IEM is perfect (including upper-mids and highs) - IMO of course.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #234 of 680
Anyone here who has the FA7s in their possession and find them too dark/not bright enough can try the Ascoustune aet07 eartips as I find them tips immediately brighten every phones that I out them on.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #235 of 680
I just got my FA7’s yesterday and I absolutely love them! The fit is awesome and conforms naturally to the shape of my ear. No pressure points. It took awhile to find tips that gave a proper seal and I ended up using the large Bass tips. So that leads me up to the sound quality. I agree with Xenithon’s thoughts on the vocals and bass. The vocals are somewhat veiled and not crisp in my opinion. Granted, I listened to them before I began the breaking in process.

I tend to like more bass, so I figured the FA7s would be right up my alley. However, even with my tendency towards bass, it was obvious what others were referring to. Using the large bass tips doesn’t help the issue.

Lorde’s - Royals- provides and excellent sampling of vocals and bass and I used that song, amongst others in my evaluations of earphones.

The Westone 30s, provided excellent vocals, and decent bass, but lacked punch. Comfort is just ok.

The iBasso IT01 provides that punch and good vocals, but the large diameter nozzle is uncomfortable. Comfort is just ok.

The Tarah Pros provide EQ capability and I can tailor them to my liking from their app, but their eartip design is lacking and I cannot get a good seal.

The FA7s provide great comfort and seal and I love the bass, but need more crisp vocals.

So what is next? I am breaking in the iBassos and the FA7s and will do another rival in a day or two. I was using music from iTunes and songs that I ripped, but have recently discovered Amazon Music and really like it, but they do not offer any EQ capability. Like the others, I could purchase an ES-100 and EQ to my liking. We shall see. I will also explore alternative tips to see if that helps. This is part of the fun....exploring and fine tuning!! :)

Thanks for all the good info!!

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #236 of 680
I was about to suggest the same thing. I love the sound of the Spiral Dots with the FH5, but the MS size doesn’t seal 100%. I’ve ordered the M size which will hopefully seal better, but meanwhile finding the M size Fiio bass tips to have incredible seal (and sound).
M Bass tips worked well for me, too. I tried the M Final Audio E type, but found them to be a bit smaller, with thinner material - which seemed to compromise mid-bass attack and isolation.

I’m going to quit while I’m behind on tip-rolling for the time being and concentrate on EQ. The Bass tips also have the wide bore and short length. I figured that combo would have the least amount of impedance discontinuity, relative to the ear canal.

I occasionally will switch to the FH5, but quickly go back to the FA7, as I’m finding I’m missing the improved details.

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #237 of 680
I think I will give the JVC spiral dots a try. Are the aw foam or a hybrid?? Where’s the best place to buy them? Amazon has a few but not the large. How does the sizing of these relate to the stock FA7s?

Thanks!!

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #238 of 680
I think I will give the JVC spiral dots a try. Are the aw foam or a hybrid?? Where’s the best place to buy them? Amazon has a few but not the large. How does the sizing of these relate to the stock FA7s?

Thanks!!
They're 100% silicone, of good quality and thick. The fit is quite shallower than normal tips and the size is slightly bigger.

Head-Fi-tips-comparison.jpg

(Source: Headphonesty)

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #239 of 680
As for ear tips, I have tried most listed in this thread, but it is a subjective and relative determination; there is no absolute solution. I use the spin-fit 155 medium for the fh5 and will see if these will work for the fa7 when it arrives on Saturday.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #240 of 680
Below a photo showing relative widths and heights. In order L to R:

- JVC Spiral Dot MS
- Stock silicon S
- Stock silicon M
- Stock silicon L
- Bass tips S
- Bass tips M
- Bass tips L
- Vocal tips S
- Vocal tips M
- Vocal tips L

30ADB63D-9DD5-400C-BE04-AFD6225A4E4F.jpeg

BB0B2E7D-C60A-4EF3-9B25-0321BDD36D18.jpeg

Interestingly I find the bass tips to be best of the included tips, as it actually decreases bass bleed, increases speed/control and clarity. Similar to the JVC but to a slightly lesser extent, and not quite as comfy as the JVC (to me).

Also may be of interest is the variation in types of seal which I want to differentiate, at least in my experience.
- inner canal seal: I get this with smaller tips like the stock silicon S and bass S. Initially comfy, but can irritate the canal for longer term listening. Sits quite deep in the canal
- outer canal seal: I get this with M size tips mostly. Doesn’t go in quite as deep as it forms a seal further out, so less initiation in the canal. Rather, a feeling like the ear is blocked. Not a discomfort, just a sensation (almost like it forms a vacuum), and I find it better longer term.

The above makes an audible difference too. I find the outer canal seal preferable because the driver / bore of the IEM are a little bit further from the eardrum. As a result it sounds less congested, less shouty, and better controlled. It’s as if the sound waves have a little bit more time to develop a better sound stage if that makes sense. It also “feels” healthier for the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back