FA7, the first Quad drivers IEM from FiiO , all Knowles BAs and 3D printed technical , MMCX design
Jan 6, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #196 of 680
I agree with most of the above, although I think I like the sound signature a bit more than Brooko does. Normally that mid-bass lift is the worst thing an IEM can do for me, but I think there's still enough detail that it can be engaging with some genres. But yes, a few dB down would be better.

I to papa_mia, I wouldn't say they have any extra treble energy - I think for the most part that region is pretty spot on and only problematic if you prefer very laid back treble.

Summary for my ears: Pretty much linear except for a bit too much mid-bass.

If Fiio can make an FA7 with the FH5's bass tuning, I think theydt make a *lot* of people happy. Still, I quite like the FA7 and think it punches above its weight class, especially when you factor in the build and packaging. Been happily alternating these with the RE2000.
Yeap gonna try them as soon as I can but similar to yours, to my taste I have a very low tolerance of mid-bass bloat. Hope the technicalities are enough to balance them out a bit.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #197 of 680
7382C0F0-7835-4385-9151-02CF9BE28929.jpeg
M Bass tips, and I’ve been pulling down the mid-bass about 3 dB between 63 and 125 Hz. I also pulled up the mids between 1-2 KHz. Still playing with those. Getting the Final Audio E tips this week, so I expect further adjustments. So far, so good, though. Glad to have EQ on board.
[edit]: restored frequency values that were cropped at bottom of image.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #198 of 680
Hello-

I purchased the FA7s and they should be arriving in a few days. I was seriously considering the iBasso IT04, but the price and potential on these was just to great to resist. I like a bit more bass so I am hoping these fit my needs, but don’t want to drown in it. I have been trying out several other brands/models and the relatively cheap Tarah Pro is a great performer for the money, plus it has EQ app which makes it awesome for tailoring. I keep on reading about everyone EQ-ing with the FA7s, but don’t know how you do it?? Through your DAP? Or is there a Fiio app?

Anyway - I look forward to reading more as time goes away on.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #199 of 680
Hello-

I purchased the FA7s and they should be arriving in a few days. I was seriously considering the iBasso IT04, but the price and potential on these was just to great to resist. I like a bit more bass so I am hoping these fit my needs, but don’t want to drown in it. I have been trying out several other brands/models and the relatively cheap Tarah Pro is a great performer for the money, plus it has EQ app which makes it awesome for tailoring. I keep on reading about everyone EQ-ing with the FA7s, but don’t know how you do it?? Through your DAP? Or is there a Fiio app?

Anyway - I look forward to reading more as time goes away on.
I’m using the BT DAC/amp Radsone EarStudio ES100, with DAC-level EQ that is configured in a mobile app. Best $100 I spent all last year.

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #200 of 680
Reading my mind?

I personally think the bass is about 4dB over done - it bleeds into the mid-range. I'll give you an idea in the graphs below:

FA7 (red) vs FH5 (blue)
The FH5 is very forward because of the big early rise in upper-mids. But they have the bass right because its mainly sub-bass. The FA7 has a lot of sub and mid-bass, and it bleeds straight into the lower mid-range => very warm / dark.

FA7 (red) vs Andromeda (green)
Andro is widely regarded as one of the best IEMs around. Mid-range and even highs are pretty close. What kills the FA7 is the bass - about 4 dB to strong. Makes the overall signature very warm.

FA7 (red) vs SE846 (yellow)
The SE 846 has the prominent sub-bass and a beautifully balanced signature overall. Again - the difference in bass is quite large. Unsurpisingly higher again - this time mostly mid-bass. Shure put it where it should be - mainly sub-bass.

FA7 (red) vs Alclaie Curve (dark blue)
My reference IEM. Its practically perfect - just about 4dB to light in the bass. Look how close the plots are. If you took 3-4dB from the FA7 and added it to the Curve, you'd have two perfect monitors!

FA7 (red) vs 64Audio U10 (white)
Remember the U10 has an Apex module, so while it measures as quite bassy - it doesn't actually sound that way - some of the energy escapes through the port.

I think you can see a common theme.

Its still a very good monitor, and lovers of a warm thick sound will likely love it. Unfortunately I was hoping for reference. Guess I'll have to wait for the FA7 Pro or the FA9? :wink:
Hm... Looks interesting. Wonder if -4 bass and +2 treble on the E17K could somewhat resolve this issue.
I definitely like slightly warm and thick [not overly done to the point of cloying (ATH-IM50) :confounded:] if it is also coupled with an out-of head presentation, and a very modest lift in upper mids-low treble region to prevent it from sounding overly warm and dark.

I might give these a try soon. I do definitely still prefer bass that is rendered by a dynamic driver; tuned diffuse, has a slight inertia or "braking distance", and always playing background carry/support, quietly. Soft rumble, slow-jab midbass, quick upper-bass.
Rather than suddenly punching hard and loud, then quickly vanishing without a tiny hint of decay.

Guess I'll just empty my cup and empty my mind at the store. Zero expectations this time...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #202 of 680
Thanks! So if I am using my iPhone and obtaining music from iTunes or Amazon Music, this BT DAC will receive the BT signal from the phone and I can adjust the music’s EQ using the App?
That's correct, and the configuration is stored on the the device. It also has the benefit of dual AKM DAC/amp stages, so it can go single-ended parallel amp, or balanced series amp (higher voltage output). Either way, it's below 0.5 Ohms output impedance. It supports a few high-quality codecs (aptX-HD, AAC, LDAC), and can also serve as a USB DAC/amp (USB 1.0 audio, with some added capability).

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #204 of 680
Is the nozzle of the fa7 the same diameter as the fh5? My appreciation for a response. :)

I have the fh5 and the fa7 is arriving Friday; is there a size difference between the two in nozzle diameter?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #205 of 680
Is the nozzle of the fa7 the same diameter as the fh5? My appreciation for a response. :)

I have the fh5 and the fa7 is arriving Friday; is there a size difference between the two in nozzle diameter?
The FA7 nozzle is about 0.75 mm smaller in diameter at the lip.

The battery on my calipers ran out today, so I checked my FA7 against my plastic hardware gauge. It passes through 6 mm easily, and doesn't pass through 5.5 mm.

FH5 (measured with calipers): 5.88 mm (min), 6.54 mm (lip).
FA7 (estimated with gauge): ~5.75 mm (lip)
[edit: go to Post #275 for update.]

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #206 of 680
The FA7 nozzle is about 0.75 mm smaller in diameter at the lip.

The battery on my calipers ran out today, so I checked my FA7 against my plastic hardware gauge. It passes through 6 mm easily, and doesn't pass through 5.5 mm.

FH5 (measured with calipers): 5.88 mm (min), 6.54 mm (lip).
FA7 (estimated with gauge): ~5.75 mm (lip)
Thank you! I appreciate your kind response.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #208 of 680
Shame about the FA7's excessive mid-bass. Just need to dial it down some for the FA7 PRO! :sunglasses:

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #210 of 680

Users who are viewing this thread

Back