EXTREMELY ABUSIVE BURN IN - poorly matched DT150 drivers bludgeoned into submission
Nov 16, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #16 of 31
I have had two pairs of DT150 crossing my hands, they too sound a little different to one another.
I am weary of excessive volume for the break in. The tool I always recommend is the Isotek System Enhancer and Rejurvenation disc, does a fine job with no side effect I can detect.
Just keep the volume at reasonable level, if no haze somewhat below normal listening level. Isotek make it explicit that high volume would not speed up the task.
The disc includes a track for warming up the system each time before listening.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #19 of 31
....dt150 and ultrasone 900 was due. Both are simply superb.

Those dt150 are just so silky smooth but with a nuggety and deep tight lower frequency and bass response which makes other phones sound anaemic. No long term problems whatsoever from the brutal burn in.

The ultrasone pro900 are the the 'funnest' phones I have, with possibly even deeper bass than any beyer and a crazy holographic soundstage too boot. A heap of felt has cured a forward top end superbly. The shocking and ruthless burn in of three years ago has done nought to their longevity or ability...just made them better.

EP

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 31
Standing 100% by this thread. Any time the drivers in my DT150s do anything dodgy (like crackles, reverb, etc) from being physically treated extremely badly I just blast the volume up for an hour, leave them, good as new.

If these aren't the best closed dynamic style headphone, I don't know what the world is coming to any more.

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #22 of 31

Burn it..! Burn it as a can! I mean burn it in, of course.
People should try burning their HD800s in with this method! It might fix the treble! Just kidding..too risky.

I had a fun time reading your impressions of the burn in. Are you going to buy any new cans to try it on?

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #23 of 31
No new cans for now....I've got cans pushed under beds, they're in my sock drawer...even a set stored in the car. I've got my mint HD650 stuffed into a box with spare motorcycle helmet padding. The 650s own box sits unused on top. My grandmother requested to use it for decoupage.

I only have ultrasones, beyerdynamics and sennheiser. I'm intentionally maintaining my current state of blissful ignorance re anything new or possibly better....

But if I do get anything else, rest assured, it will be burnt in with a ruthlessly cruel and monstrous detachment unimaginable to the friendly folk within these friendly forums.

I also have a heavy fireproof bag to put the headphones In this time round....the type used for massive lipo batteries when they explode.

I'll let you all know of any noteworthy events.

Cheers

Edit: what's all this about a possibly recalcitrant HD800? Sounds like it definitely needs the firebag burn in.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #24 of 31
If a headphone can't survive the burn-in, it shouldn't exist at all!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Just kidding, actually. But it would be cool if headphones were that reliable.
You know you're going hardcore if you are afraid that your cans will burst into flames, though.

I wonder if I could burn in my floorstanding speakers by putting them up to 100db all day...
blink.gif
Nah, don't want my house to collapse/burn down/explode/etc.

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #25 of 31
Did exactly this to my jvc fx40s and sony mdr-ex650ap. Their signatures changed totally; they exchanged some impact and excitement for depth, texture and smoothness. Treble harshness was shaved off, and the resulting sound was more relaxed and enveloping. Can't decide if I like it more though :)

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #26 of 31
Ok folks,
I thought I'd put this topic back into its proper thread. As I previously stated -

"if I do get anything else, rest assured, it will be burnt in with a ruthlessly cruel and monstrous detachment unimaginable to the friendly folk within these friendly forums"

Not new phones, but I'm about to burn and bludgeon the HD650. They've sat in my closet unused for quite a few years now. I forgot I had them. Unloved phones which never lived up to any of my expectations, or the level of my other phones. Others have assured me they are true blue HD650 perfect. Not good enough. They remind me of old horn speakers...stiff and tight, with no proper punch or throw. Boring.

I've got a big lipo explosive battery bag I'll put them into. I'm keen to see...if they survive, how much their sound signature will be modified.

I don't recommend others try this method (it's outlined earlier in this thread), but I'll give feedback on the outcome. I'll try to film any minor catastrophe. Basically, they'll be fed bass heavy and harsh music at full volume, reduced if required to the threshold of distortion, on a punchy amp for a week non stop.

Both of my DT150s and the Pro900 survived this process and remain sublime to this day. Excuisite. Their brutal burn story is outlined earlier in this thread.

Ok, let's do it.

EP

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #27 of 31
Yo, Exit Pupil! It's been a few weeks and I'm wondering how the 650 is doing. Did the varimotion(what's Sennheiser's version called again) diaphragm survive?
I'm hoping it made it through, and at least didn't start on fire or something. If this works out, it'll be a fantastic headphone!

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #28 of 31

I found that after burn-in a subsequent chill-in helped cool the stridence allowing smoother orchestra bass drum reflections.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #29 of 31
It always helps to say this to your cans after a long burn-in session:

After burn-in, every can must chill-out.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #30 of 31
All this talk of cool-down and burn in is fine but nothing like treating your reference pair to $195 Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables.

My go to headphones became another headphone. Sparkle and authority which I previously thought was unobtainable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back